Subaru Outback Forums banner

Hi from Ontario, Canada

811 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Norm in Canada 
#1 · (Edited)
I just bought my first Subaru. A 2002 Outback Legacy 2,5 Litres, 4 cyl. 190,000 km on her. Almost no rust, undercarriage is perfect so are the mags. She did need a new windshield, 4 new brakes, and an oil change. I will get her back from the doctor's... I mean garage tomorrow around noon.

I am looking around to find out more about my new ride. I would also love to find owner's and service manuals for her. Thank you for letting me read your posts and (I don't know much about cars!) - you can be sure I will appreciate any comments, suggestions or helpful hints about my new car or using the forum.

As soon as I get her back with her new windshield, I will repost with a picture. She is very nice looking for such an old girl! :)

Thank you all.

#2 ·
Howdy and welcome.

You might try contacting a local Subaru dealer or Subaru Canada to see if they can get a manual for you.

#3 ·
I am looking around to find out more about my new ride. I would also love to find owner's and service manuals for her. Thank you for letting me read your posts and (I don't know much about cars!) - you can be sure I will appreciate any comments, suggestions or helpful hints about my new car or using the forum.
A book could be written, but if you read the posts and threads here periodically, especially those for years 2000 - 2004, you'll be reading about your car, for the most part. (2000 - 2004 is the 2nd generation of Outback. There can still be differences between individual years within a generation, but they tend to be relatively few and usually, but not always, relatively insignificant.)

Owners Manuals and Service Manuals can be purchased and downloaded in pdf files from Subaru Technical Information System - Welcome. This is Subaru of America's site, but the cars sold in Canada are essentially the same.

There is a thread here where people post sites that have various manuals for download for free -- http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ee-factory-service-manual-download-links.html --or you can do some searching on the Internet -- there are often manuals (both Owners and Service) for sale ("recycled"), and in some cases, places where pdf versions can be downloaded. But one problem I've found is that sometimes these are not complete, or claim to be for a particular year but turn out to be for another, so just a caution.

If you want a general purpose consumer-oriented service manual, Haynes has one for the 2000-2006 Legacy and Forester -- see: Subaru Legacy and Forester Repair Manual covering all 2000 thru 2006 Legacy models including Outback and Baja. Does not include six-cylinder engines. . (Legacy and Outback are very similar.) Because it covers a range of years and models, there are gaps and generalizations, but it's a good start compared to the factory service manual, which has more information (and of course is from the source) but is also a lot more complex in layout. The Hayne's usually sells for around $30 and are usually available at places like Canadian Tire.

And, of course, for routine servicing, as well as repairs, there's this forum, including the many threads in the DIY sub-forum. Lots of info here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.