Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First post here on the forums, but I;ve read tech stuff on here off and on for a while now.

Need some advice on how to proceed on something.....

My 2001 outback (232k miles) has had a failure of the power steering O-rings in the past which I had changed last year (Only 1 ring at the time, didn't know they were two until I took it apart.) So now a year later It started to make noise again at its extremes.

So I took it apart, replaced the o rings and put it back together tightening until I hit resistance and the inlet was snug and when ahead to go bleed the air out, but after about 5 minutes of back and forth on the wheel it was still squealing(it went away after a couple turns last time I did this) I went ahead and tightened the bolt a bit more with my hand almost at the top of the ratchet ( I broke an oil pressure sensor port recently on a kia so I was being very careful) and then I got snap.

I'm not sure if the bolt or the pump broke but the bolt will no longer snug down and when I pulled it back out I'm having a hard time remembering how long it was originally and if it has broken then it was very clean and almost at the end of it.

So far I drove it around the block and its only squealing at lock out of the steering and I don't see any leaks so far but its not tight like it should be.

So what are my options now, New pump? try to get part of the broken bolt out?

Thanks

White Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

Edit, uh oh I just took the bolt out again for pictures and this came out with it, Maybe a helicoil would be a good fix.
Audio equipment Auto part Electric blue Metal Fashion accessory
Grey Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Electric blue Vehicle door

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,642 Posts
you might price a pump from car-part.com. Could be affordable with less hassle, and 1/2 the mileage of the one you have now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you might price a pump from car-part.com. Could be affordable with less hassle, and 1/2 the mileage of the one you have now.
Yeah thats the route I have decided about going, although I actually ordered a new non-oem one from rockauto, along with new hoses since mine are original and rock hard. I have been going back and forth about getting a newer oem unit although most of the ones I found did not have mileage info or the donor car was in pretty bad front end crash for one that I found with 100k miles.

Regardless I'm going to try to put in a helicoil to the old one and keep it as a spare as this vehicle has some sentimental value to me (childhood family vehicle that my dad bought new which has been from Mexico to Canada and most of the states in between)

Next thing it is to do its first:eek: trans fluid flush as well as track down a minor coolant seep(pretty sure its the pump)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whelp happy ending for the moment, I got a cheap 13 buck amazon helicoil kit and it worked like a charm, the hole is not actually blind it seems and their a small hole at the front of the pump that makes it easy to get chips out. Still got a some squeal at lockout but thats probably the rock hard hoses which i'm waiting on at the moment. It only took me about 10 turns back and forth to bleed the system this time, no idea why It took so long the first time which prompted me to go back and retighten it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts