Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Outback, 1995 Subaru legacy sedan LS and 2005 Subaru Baja Sport.
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Outback with 158,000 miles (2.5L engine, 5 speed manual transmission). I have been noticing for the last couple of months that the engine will idle at 1,000 RPM to 1500 RPM while idling (the normal RPM range is 600 to 800).
However when the car is being driven, the engine RPM is normal e.g. 65 mph equals 3,000RPM.

This is intermittant and does not happen often, but when it does it will go on for several days to a couple of weeks, then the high idle goes away and everything is fine.

I do not believe this is a huge problem but is it something that has to be addressed before something worse happens?

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
Altogether a different animal but I was checking the engine of my '04 OBS, with the H4-2.5L and a AT, by running it while parked a while. I wanted to see how it responded to throttle changes. This being a new engine with only 2600 miles.

Part of the reason for taking time out to run the car through various RPM's was because I had noticed a few times it had revved up slightly on it's own while going in reverse, parking it under the carport, which can be a surprise if the foot isn't on the brake. Seems like spurious behavior.

What I discovered is that at around 1000 RPM the motor surges up and down a couple hundred RPM. Totally on its own, no movement in the accelerator pedal. Also does it to a lesser extent at other points, just not sure why it would do this. I was guessing it might be related to the fuel pressure (cap seal?), tank level is at 1/3 but no idea what is really happening.

Maybe the throttle position sensor is faulty in your case. Searching a bit I found mention of it for the MY '97 and '98:
http://www.toad.net/~rrubel/bulletin.html
Look at the bottom of the page where it says Current Recalls for Outbacks, item number 1.

·
Registered
1997 Outback, 1995 Subaru legacy sedan LS and 2005 Subaru Baja Sport.
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
High idle speed

Thanks for the information Roo.
After reviewing the link you provided, I contacted Subaru of America and they confirmed for me that the Recall does affect my 97 Outback, additionally they also informed me I need to have my alternator checked as well (something about the brushes wearing out).

I appreciate your help very much. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts