Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,770 Posts
You have made a HiLift work on a Subaru, which is no small feat. Good job!

That would be a mild rock around here :) But mud is easily avoided here while being the big issue where you are.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
just changed brake pads outside in snow with hilift jack. couple seconds , car in air. do work.

other time just in middle of forest was checking some noise in rear. took out jack, car is in air, no dirty clothes no going under car or something.

recovering car from large stone that i drove too far and hooked on it. again dont know what i would do with simple jack it wouldnt be high enough. with this just lifted car put some wood and large stones under front wheels and drove off

recovery from soft sand hole. again lift car dig sand under car so wheel can have something to have grip in and drove off. all took maybe 20 min.

so yh for me its very usefull best tool to lift car change wheel , do other work or recover yourself when driving alone.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Working on car again late eve. No prob with cheap 20w led light and hi lift

·
Registered
310 Posts
Has anyone considered carrying a hi-lift jack when camping/off-roading? How useful are they as a primary tool for getting your OB unstuck?

http://www.hi-lift.com/hi-lift-jacks/index.html

I'm an offloading noob, but with this accessory kit, it looks like a cheap alternative to a winch:

http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/off-road-kit.html

Here is a video of it in action:

I found this Yakima accessory to mount the jack to the cargo box which looks like a good way to carry it:

http://www.yakima.com/shop/cargo/gear-baskets/hi-lift-jack-bracket

http://assets.yakima.com/resource/product/hi-lift-jack-bracket/type/instructions

Thoughts on jacks for Outbacks, and the mount?
No Hi Lift for Subaru it will seriously cause more problems than value. Only for extreme use with heavy duty rigs and experience user. You may GOOGLE Pahrump Nevada Man dies during 4th of July 2019 Calfornia Earthquake. He was using a Highlift Jack (shown in picture). Things went terribly bad and he became the first person in Nevada to ever die as a result of a earthquake. His 1944 military Jeep fell off Jack and crushed him. Note: He was a experienced user.
The Hi Lift , Handy Man or Farm jack as it is known has a very narrow and unstable foot. They are extremely heavy. The spring load operating mechanism is subject to dirt and hardening of grease, If racheting pin not work correctly the whle thing can come crashing down instead of lowering one click at a time. In that case the lever can seriously hurt you. I have had one for over 60 years and hate to use it. I would never carey one in a subaru.
I once stuck one thru the tail gate on a 84 Ford F250. They are a very dangerous piece of equipment.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
No Jack stands or supporting blocks? That is beyond dumb.
yes i use them . why i must put that in picture ? but for quick job its not needed its just stable enough . just most people think its so dangerous and its not . jack stands on soft grass and on angle is not best idea also. so i know better how my situation works whats my ground surface is and whats good there.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
yes i use them . why i must put that in picture ? but for quick job its not needed its just stable enough . just most people think its so dangerous and its not . jack stands on soft grass and on angle is not best idea also. so i know better how my situation works whats my ground surface is and whats good there.
Sounds like you are looking to win a Darwin award. Make sure your survivors let us know when you win.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Sounds like you are looking to win a Darwin award. Make sure your survivors let us know when you win.
jack stands works on level ground hard surface , in other cases car will slip of it as its not locked nowhere on car , car just sits on jack stand same as on all other jacks ... where on my case my hi lift jack is locked in car adapters it wont ever slip from it it just can move to side with jack itself like bend jacks body in worse case and i had that to some level but nothing happens to jack nothing bends or brakes on it , but it never slips from car because of adapters tubes that i use.
even on snow no extra pad just hi lift jack i can lift one side rear or front and i can push car it wont move front back just will slide some to sides sure but car is not heavy enough to like bend jack or brake it, first thing my adapters will brake or bend .
talking bush very easy to just lift car very high very fast get unstuck from almost any situation and have stability same time, wouldnt try that what i did in bush with bottle jack or oem subaru jack. and they cant lift car so high if you like dug deep down in mud sand etc.
got stuck, tested myself all those other jacks and then bought hi lift for that reason to not get in that situation again.
but it wont fit any other subaru normal car lifted just maybe , i once tried to help other forester who was stuck, just wouldnt lift that car without wheel adapter that would be only option which i didint had cause dond need for myself.
once i saw some tow ball adapter for hi lift jack like diy or smt but cant find it anymore , that would be usefull to have for those other cars to help most of them have tow ball in rear so that could help.

and thats what i need to make it more stable to not bend to sides

·
Registered
310 Posts
Their cheapest kit with anchors and guides is US$950, plus shipping to the USA. I think the price alone puts this out of reach for most people. OTH, it is intended to replace an electric winch, which may cost you the same $$$$, depending on brand and size.

Do you know if they have a USA distributor?

Their reviews are most impressive: ... http://www.bushwinch.com.au/testimonials.html

A video: ...

A couple more:

I like that you can use it on a number of different vehicles, IF the bolt patterns are the same - otherwise you have to buy additional drums and guides and nuts; it will almost double the price for a second vehicle. I suspect this would be a good choice for fleet use where all the trucks are the same.

But, yikes it is a durned expensive investment....

I emailed asking about availability here, and shipping cost to the USA. I'll post their reply.

John Davies
Spokane WA
Reminds me of the old time hard rock miners drum winch. Also used with a old wheel to jack fence posts out of the ground. One adapttation from many years ago ws to operate a saw blade for wood cuttting.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Has anyone considered carrying a hi-lift jack when camping/off-roading? How useful are they as a primary tool for getting your OB unstuck?

http://www.hi-lift.com/hi-lift-jacks/index.html

I'm an offloading noob, but with this accessory kit, it looks like a cheap alternative to a winch:

http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/off-road-kit.html

Here is a video of it in action:

I found this Yakima accessory to mount the jack to the cargo box which looks like a good way to carry it:

http://www.yakima.com/shop/cargo/gear-baskets/hi-lift-jack-bracket

http://assets.yakima.com/resource/product/hi-lift-jack-bracket/type/instructions

Thoughts on jacks for Outbacks, and the mount?
This kit looks nice to go with it:

Details

This is a complete pre-assembled boxed kit, the ARB premium Recovery Kit includes everything the off-roader needs to get started. Whether it be a simple snatch recovery or a more serious winch recovery, the ARB premium recovery kit has it all. The premium recovery kit represents exceptional value and a savings over purchasing each component individually.
KIT CONTENTS
  • 1x P/No. ARB501 Recovery Bag Large
  • 1x P/No. ARB705 17,500lb Snatch Strap
  • 1x P/No. ARB730 26,500lb x 10’ Tree Trunk Protector
  • 1x P/No. ARB720 9,900lb x 66’ Winch Extension Strap
  • 1x P/No. ARB220 Recovery Damper
  • 1x P/No. GLOVES Leather Recovery Gloves
  • 2x P/No. ARB207D 10,640lbs, 3/4” Pin, D-Shackle
  • 1x P/No. 10100020 Snatch Block 9000
Note: The ARB Premium Recovery Kit (P/No. RK9) is not suitable for all vehicles. Please verify your recovery working loads before ordering the kit. ARB recommends using a snatch strap that is 3-4x the vehicle weight, therefore, ARB recommends this kit for vehicles 5,600lbs and under. Perfect for Suzuki Samurai's, Jeep Wranglers, small pick-ups such as the Toyota Hilux/ Pickup , Tacoma and small SUVs like the FJ Cruiser, Nissan Xterra and Toyota 4Runner.
I would never buya cheap copy made with Chinese potmetal parts such as Harbor Freight immitations. Attached is a repiar kit for genuine Highlift Jack. It will give you n idea of what can and will break. They are dangerous and can cause serious injury. I have used them since 1953 for both work and play.
IMG_20190717_122056424_BURST000_COVER_TOP (2).jpg
IMG_20190717_122056424_BURST000_COVER_TOP (2).jpg

·
Registered
310 Posts
jack stands works on level ground hard surface , in other cases car will slip of it as its not locked nowhere on car , car just sits on jack stand same as on all other jacks ... where on my case my hi lift jack is locked in car adapters it wont ever slip from it it just can move to side with jack itself like bend jacks body in worse case and i had that to some level but nothing happens to jack nothing bends or brakes on it , but it never slips from car because of adapters tubes that i use.
even on snow no extra pad just hi lift jack i can lift one side rear or front and i can push car it wont move front back just will slide some to sides sure but car is not heavy enough to like bend jack or brake it, first thing my adapters will brake or bend .
talking bush very easy to just lift car very high very fast get unstuck from almost any situation and have stability same time, wouldnt try that what i did in bush with bottle jack or oem subaru jack. and they cant lift car so high if you like dug deep down in mud sand etc.
got stuck, tested myself all those other jacks and then bought hi lift for that reason to not get in that situation again.
but it wont fit any other subaru normal car lifted just maybe , i once tried to help other forester who was stuck, just wouldnt lift that car without wheel adapter that would be only option which i didint had cause dond need for myself.
once i saw some tow ball adapter for hi lift jack like diy or smt but cant find it anymore , that would be usefull to have for those other cars to help most of them have tow ball in rear so that could help.

and thats what i need to make it more stable to not bend to sides

Oh Yeh.!
The attached piture will illustrate how wrong you are. On July4,2019 a wWWII vintage Jeep fell of the Hi Lift jack and killed Troy Ray 56 in Pahrump NV. He had been using that very High Lift jack most of his life. You can google man killed in Pahrump NV on July 4 2019. Just a week ago. Also google NYE County Newspaper. I did know this individual personally.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
i think that jeep is some heavier and was lifted wrong way i guess. and then bad things happen so use all safety things as you can sure. im not saying its safe. but what is safe then ?
but they mechanical . if you know some of physics at least you will get it what could go wrong, versus some oil based jacks that was failed on me couple times or mechanical OEM subaru jacks that was just bending on me when i used them. So you need to know what works on your car and whats not , thats main thing. all cars different and if you put hi lift jack on bad place you will have bad day for sure.
i dont think those are safe

and they made for land rovers. Why round tube ? when you can have square one which will lock movement at least some.
but again it depends. you can go on street tomor and car can hit you , what can you do about it ? nothing .

41 - 53 of 53 Posts