Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 OBXT. Nothing performance-wise, YET.
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, FNG here, hello. I have had a few Subies to day, '84 Subie Hatchback, an '87 Hatchback, '87 RS, '00 Impreza 2.2, and now my '07 OBXT.

I haven't done ALL that much to my OBXT, but this is what I have done so far: Alloy black Sport Edition rims with some Goodyear Triple Tread hoops, K&N air filter, 10% tint all around, and a Rhino Rack up top. Had 55watt HID lowbean, but retrofitted the halogens due to DRL issues driving me bonkers. Replacing those with some PIAA H7's in the mail, and putting those HID's in the highbeam. I would LOVE to get some nicer suspension on it, on the to do list.

What I bought:
55W 2x4" HID Xenon H3 Driving Spotlights Off Road Spot Flood Spot Beam Lights US | eBay

And my dilemma:
Where should I mount the foglamps for maximum practicality? I was considering taking the stock flood style foglamps out and wire in the pencil ones I bought, but with the rack mount as an option, which is better for mountain driving. I live in the sticks and it is really dark here on the drive home. There are plenty deer, bear, and elk who want to bash my front end. I'd love to see them asap. so I'm thinking up top. What would YOU do?

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reactions: paulfolio

·
Registered
5 Posts
First off, FNG here, hello. I have had a few Subies to day, '84 Subie Hatchback, an '87 Hatchback, '87 RS, '00 Impreza 2.2, and now my '07 OBXT.

I haven't done ALL that much to my OBXT, but this is what I have done so far: Alloy black Sport Edition rims with some Goodyear Triple Tread hoops, K&N air filter, 10% tint all around, and a Rhino Rack up top. Had 55watt HID lowbean, but retrofitted the halogens due to DRL issues driving me bonkers. Replacing those with some PIAA H7's in the mail, and putting those HID's in the highbeam. I would LOVE to get some nicer suspension on it, on the to do list
visit this.

What I bought:
55W 2x4" HID Xenon H3 Driving Spotlights Off Road Spot Flood Spot Beam Lights US | eBay

And my dilemma:
Where should I mount the foglamps for maximum practicality? I was considering taking the stock flood style foglamps out and wire in the pencil ones I bought, but with the rack mount as an option, which is better for mountain driving. I live in the sticks and it is really dark here on the drive home. There are plenty deer, bear, and elk who want to bash my front end. I'd love to see them asap. so I'm thinking up top. What would YOU do?
Have you ever used led lights. I think they are bright and save energy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking at one of the fancy fancy 20 inch LED light bar. Bright, but $500 plus! I got the hid ones for 130. They are pretty bright. Same dilemma either way though.

·
Registered
2001, European Outback, H6
150 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the H3 Spot lights that you bought you should go with the roof rack. They will look good up there.

For your DRL / HID lowbeam dilemma go visit
Morimoto Retro-Quik System - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc (retrofit shop with a special kit for your car) and http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum.ph
(hid forum)
Those guys will know how to solve your problem! Good luck.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/
Thanks for the resources! I'll check into them when I get near a computer.

I'm thinking those lights will look good up top too.

·
Registered
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Those lights look a little too deep front to back to fit on top of the bumper (they will poke out too far in front and will be vulnerable to damage in a parking lot). BTW they are NOT fog lights, but driving lights. Big difference!

They will be vulnerable to rock and impact damage when mounted below the bumper, and the beams will not project far enough to be useful on dark back roads.

Mounting up on the roof basket will be far, FAR better for lighting up the planet on a dark nasty night, but illegal as heck if you are driving on public roads. "Offroad" lights are required to be covered when not in use, so there is no risk of your blinding drivers on public highways. Few people bother with this, but you need to be aware that you _might_ get a ticket. OTH for many years I have run with 170 mm Light Force 100 watt offroad lights on my truck (on top of the bumper with clear covers) with never a hassle from an LEO.

My suggestion is to mount those eBay HID driving lights up top, use them carefully, and never when there are other cars around. They will absolutely devastate the night vision of an approaching driver, piss him off, and possibly cause an accident. It would probably be a good idea to wire them through your high beams, so you can switch them off instantly when you go to low beams.

If you want to mount lights for use in traffic, get some DOT approved 55 watt halogen driving lights and mount them on top of the bumper. Check your state laws about max and min height for front lights.

These IPF 968 series flood/ spot lights are MOST excellent, high quality (Japan) and are very thin, so you can mount them on top of the bumper and they won't hang off the front too far. The large diameter 7 inch reflector sends way more light down the road than the little halogen lights. Lowest cost is about US$132 if you check around..... They come with an extra set of 100 watt bulbs if you really want some extra lumens, but they will draw a lot of extra current!. Be sure to wire them through the high beams.

http://www.4wdtrips.net/forum/showthread.php?3022-IPF-968-Lights-Review

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those lights look a little too deep front to back to fit on top of the bumper (they will poke out too far in front and will be vulnerable to damage in a parking lot). BTW they are NOT fog lights, but driving lights. Big difference!

They will be vulnerable to rock and impact damage when mounted below the bumper, and the beams will not project far enough to be useful on dark back roads.

Mounting up on the roof basket will be far, FAR better for lighting up the planet on a dark nasty night, but illegal as heck if you are driving on public roads. "Offroad" lights are required to be covered when not in use, so there is no risk of your blinding drivers on public highways. Few people bother with this, but you need to be aware that you _might_ get a ticket. OTH for many years I have run with 170 mm Light Force 100 watt offroad lights on my truck (on top of the bumper with clear covers) with never a hassle from an LEO.

My suggestion is to mount those eBay HID driving lights up top, use them carefully, and never when there are other cars around. They will absolutely devastate the night vision of an approaching driver, piss him off, and possibly cause an accident. It would probably be a good idea to wire them through your high beams, so you can switch them off instantly when you go to low beams.

If you want to mount lights for use in traffic, get some DOT approved 55 watt halogen driving lights and mount them on top of the bumper. Check your state laws about max and min height for front lights.

These IPF 968 series flood/ spot lights are MOST excellent, high quality (Japan) and are very thin, so you can mount them on top of the bumper and they won't hang off the front too far. The large diameter 7 inch reflector sends way more light down the road than the little halogen lights. Lowest cost is about US$132 if you check around..... They come with an extra set of 100 watt bulbs if you really want some extra lumens, but they will draw a lot of extra current!. Be sure to wire them through the high beams.

IPF 968 Lights Review

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
Yeah, I do use the term fog light interchangeably with driving lights, sorry about that. When referring to top or bottom, I was referring to taking the factory lights out, and install the driving lights in their place.

You are correct about these lights being, "illegal," as, "C.R.S. 42-4-212 Spot lamps and auxiliary lamps," addresses the issues of putting lights like these on motor vehicles that travel the roadways. All in all though, if I ran into a trooper who really did give a shite about it, it is only,a class B traffic infraction. $15 fine with a $7 surcharge here in Colorado. I can live with that.

Fortunately, I am the guy who dims my highbeams and aux. lights WAY before the required 500 feet, heck I do that as soon as I see headlights in the distance. Same with these driving lights. I've lived in the mountains the majority of my life, and thanks to PIAA's, HID's, and Silverstars, I have seen the variety of wildlife from a good distance away. I'm sure pure luck has played a part too, but I can appreciate the assistance a good light offers. A few years ago I ended up making my own HID kit for my Chevy Silverado using a Wal-Mart housing, 35 watt H1 HID kid from Ebay, and some silicon to seal it all up. Really lighted everything up nicely.

I would love to get the HID driving lights installed onto the roof, and I think that is where they will end up as soon as one of my more mechanically inclined friends gets some time, or I can get it into an accessory shop for a slick install.

Those IPF 968 series flood / spot lights look rather neat, and I could see putting them on the bumper. Just another $ item to put in the want pile, lol. In the meantime, I think the 9005 55watt HID high beams paired with the 35 watt driving lights will be plush. Also caved in and ordered some PIAA bulbs for the low beam.

Thank you for all the info!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts