Subaru Outback Forums banner
21 - 40 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R Limtied
113 Posts
Just Installed my HID

Thanks for the write up DM3415. It worked well.

I used most of the instructions provided by DM3415. The only thing I did different was the drill bit size, I used an 7/8 bit for the kit I bought. I guess my plugs where smaller.

I used the 6000k Volt HID kit. (purchased from xenonexpert.com)

Here are my installation pictures. I will try to get more night shots tonight!

http://picasaweb.google.com/kingluke/2010OutbackHIDInstall#

·
Registered
07 OBW 2.5i Limited, 02 Audi A6 3.0 Avant Quattro
981 Posts
The only street legal is OEM HID, all the aftermarket HID are NOT street legal. They sell them for show or off road uses.
I think sooner or later there'll be crack down during yearly inspection or road blocks.

Light assembly & Reflectors designed for Halogens are not for HID. HID price goes down dramaticlly and people just want their lights brighter, brighter and brighter, thus we see a surge of HIDs, white, blue, and purple on road. There is really not standard any more.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited
1,586 Posts
bigdadi said:
The only street legal is OEM HID, all the aftermarket HID are NOT street legal. They sell them for show or off road uses.
I think sooner or later there'll be crack down during yearly inspection or road blocks.

Light assembly & Reflectors designed for Halogens are not for HID. HID price goes down dramaticlly and people just want their lights brighter, brighter and brighter, thus we see a surge of HIDs, white, blue, and purple on road. There is really not standard any more.
Thanks for point that important fact out.
I was thinking of doing a conversion, but if it is not legal, then I won’t.
I wish it was an available option from Subaru. I would have gladly paid extra for it.

As it stands, I find the standard headlights to be good, better than most, and something I can live with.

·
Registered
07 OBW 2.5i Limited, 02 Audi A6 3.0 Avant Quattro
981 Posts
Harplayr said:
Thanks for point that important fact out.
I was thinking of doing a conversion, but if it is not legal, then I won’t.
I wish it was an available option from Subaru. I would have gladly paid extra for it.

As it stands, I find the standard headlights to be good, better than most, and something I can live with.
I saw some taller trucker/SUV replaced all 4 into HIDs (2 headlights + 2 fogs) ... man I pity those cars right in front of them.
Of course I pulled immediately to the next lane if one of these is right behind me.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R Limtied
113 Posts
I've owned an 2006 FX35 and 2008 535i both with HID's. Comparing my 2010 Outback HID upgrade with my other cars, I must say that it is matched closely with my other cars. The 2010 has the same excellent cut off line and the light source doesn't bounce everywhere. The light is evenly dispersed.

I have also tried HID's on my previous car, a 2002 Subaru WRX. That HID experiment ended quickly. I removed the bulbs off the car right away since the light source was not even and for sure would have blinded on coming traffic. I was flickered with high beams many times on the test run.

The 2010 outback lights are designed differently in my opinion. Even with stock halogen bulbs there is a cut off line on the light - unlike most halogen lamps. Just my two cents...

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5 Limited, Sky Blue Metallic
320 Posts
kingluke said:
I've owned an 2006 FX35 and 2008 535i both with HID's. Comparing my 2010 Outback HID upgrade with my other cars, I must say that it is matched closely with my other cars. The 2010 has the same excellent cut off line and the light source doesn't bounce everywhere. The light is evenly dispersed.

I have also tried HID's on my previous car, a 2002 Subaru WRX. That HID experiment ended quickly. I removed the bulbs off the car right away since the light source was not even and for sure would have blinded on coming traffic. I was flickered with high beams many times on the test run.

The 2010 outback lights are designed differently in my opinion. Even with stock halogen bulbs there is a cut off line on the light - unlike most halogen lamps. Just my two cents...
I believe the main difference with "normal" low beams and the Outback's low beams is that the projector has the cutt off. When projecting into the garage wall, the cut off is very similar to the cut off on out on our TSX with HID's. It seems that most of the cars with projector lights have this cut off. I believe that without the cut off, they would blind most oncoming traffic even with halogens. I would like to have HID's but I'm more than happy with the light output of the halogens. IMHO the projectors give the most light you can get without HID's

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Ltd. Cypress Green Pearl w/ moonroof
12 Posts
Could someone tell me what the wattage is for the HID kits people are installing? When I bought for my motorcycle there where 35W and 65W kits if I remember right.

This is surprising to me that drilling is involved - but I won't argue with those that have gone down this path before.

Thanks for taking the time to document - I'm definitely going w/ HID once I get permission from the wife. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just ordered a 55W 6000K HID kit from DDM Tuning.

Now I understand the reasoning behind drilling the back of the dust cover.

HOPEFULLY I'll be organized enough about the install to get before and after pics. :)
I'm mostly interested in documenting the light distribution pattern not the actual install details since DM did such a good job.

Thanks for taking the time to document DM.

-Dennis

·
Registered
147 Posts
guppie said:
Does the Phillips kit require no drilling?

What about a relay? What's the purpose of those. I see some kits come with one some you buy seperate?
hid's can put a lot of strain on the wiring harness when powering up. Using the harness wires the lights/ballasts directly to the battery for power removing this strain. Then you run a set of wires to the headlight harness so when you turn on your lights, the relay tells the hid's to turn on.

·
Registered
OB MY10 2.0D Prem / Imprezza MY10 R
15 Posts
hid's can put a lot of strain on the wiring harness when powering up. Using the harness wires the lights/ballasts directly to the battery for power removing this strain. Then you run a set of wires to the headlight harness so when you turn on your lights, the relay tells the hid's to turn on.
Anyone have any figures on the inrush current?
I've tried DMM with peak hold and analogue in an attempt to measure but can't capture the spike...

...which makes me think if it is that brief I'm not going to bother with a relay.

About to mod my MY10OB (ran cheap eBay HID for 3+ years off stock harness in MY03 Liberty/Legacy w/o any problems)

PS: I put everything back to 'factory' when selling the MY03 and simply put a couple of blank rubber grommets in the rear headlamp cover where the HID leads used to come out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't believe the current spike is significant enough to be of concern - the original fuse is still protecting the circuit so it's either of really short duration, not as high as believed, or both.

I suspect the newer HID kits reduce this spike because I cannot believe they would have developed the relay solution unless justified.

In either case, I'm running 55W HIDs w/ the original fuse w/o any relay on both my 10OB and a motorcycle - zero issues on either one.

·
Registered
'10 Outback 2.5iPrem
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Looks like everyone is taking it to the next level!

Just an update on my HIDs, no problems whatsoever and I go through lots of tunnels everyday and get the auto headlights turning on and off constantly. Looks like the cheap Chinese stuff will last at least a year, so far so good. I've yet to get flashed from any oncoming traffic ever too.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium CVT
95 Posts
Purchased a kit from HIDextra.com. Definite improvement, however it does not seem to 'project' as far as my stock 2007 350Z HIDs did. Might just be me though *shrugs*. It's pretty good though, just need a slightly increase in height.

Do any one know if it could be adjusted?

Installed relay with it and the auto on/off function still works fine.

21 - 40 of 142 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.