Subaru Outback Forums banner
81 - 100 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ Nav - Azurite Blue
152 Posts
On mine (philips kit), I notice a shadow on both beams to the bottom left that is in the shape of a line and I think this is from the wire on the outside of the bulb.

·
Registered
Black 2010 OB 2.5i Premium CVT
1,409 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback
58 Posts
Just finished my install of the DDM Tuning 35w 5000k kit. OMG, that was the worst install ever! Epic fail on Subaru's part in how difficult and time consuming it was to change out the low beams. Compared to my previous Subys were a cake. I'll die before I have to do this again.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Just finished my install of the DDM Tuning 35w 5000k kit. OMG, that was the worst install ever! Epic fail on Subaru's part in how difficult and time consuming it was to change out the low beams. Compared to my previous Subys were a cake. I'll die before I have to do this again.

+1!

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i (sold 257,000km)/2018 Crosstrek limited 2022 Forester Limited
5,186 Posts
...they look very nice...what type of light did you use on your light bar...my lightbar came today FEDEX...but I was not home so I hope to get it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i (sold 257,000km)/2018 Crosstrek limited 2022 Forester Limited
5,186 Posts
Bumber...

...totally jacked because there was a fedex package for me...light bar was sent fedex...went to pick it and...drum roll....it was a package of cosmetics for my wife...so it's eyeliner under the headlights for now....

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Highjack...

Which is the high beam lead?

I am installing some driving lights and I want to tap the high beam switch
I saw the pics of your driving lights. Very nice! I have a light bar coming from Rallyinnovations...I am wondering what type of driving lights you are using. Interesting that you have tapped them into the high beams. I was planning on using a seperate wiring harness and having them on their own switch.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Ltd Ruby Red Pearl w/ Ivy Interior
199 Posts
Question for DM3415 re drilling....

....DM, I got the Philips Xenon kit today.....which I had ordered specifically for the Subie OB with H7 size halogen bulbs currently.

I copied your DIY instructions......ran out of courage, and took them along with the Philips kit to a local company that is very good with doing electronic stuff on cars.

He looked at both, checked that HID bulbs were also H7......and said that there will be ZERO need to drill anything , because H7 = H7, and HIDs will fit exactly like the halogens do.

When I asked why you needed to do some drilling, he said that likely you were working with an HID bulb that was NOT H7, but maybe something like H4 or otherwise.

My question is: Do you think this guy knows what he's talking about ?

(am scheduled to get it done there in about a week, and want no surprises !).

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
2011 Outback
58 Posts
yea, the bulbs will fit just fine but you need to drill the cap behind the bulb for the wiring to go through to connect to the ballast. the guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

wait a sec... did you order blue halogen bulbs or a real HID kit with HID bulbs & a ballast?

the h7 hid kit has wires that plug directly the the bulb with a rubber grommet about 1" in diameter (hence why you need to drill a hole the size of a quarter to plug up the hole and route the wires)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
....DM, I got the Philips Xenon kit today.....which I had ordered specifically for the Subie OB with H7 size halogen bulbs currently.

I copied your DIY instructions......ran out of courage, and took them along with the Philips kit to a local company that is very good with doing electronic stuff on cars.

He looked at both, checked that HID bulbs were also H7......and said that there will be ZERO need to drill anything , because H7 = H7, and HIDs will fit exactly like the halogens do.

When I asked why you needed to do some drilling, he said that likely you were working with an HID bulb that was NOT H7, but maybe something like H4 or otherwise.

My question is: Do you think this guy knows what he's talking about ?

(am scheduled to get it done there in about a week, and want no surprises !).

Thanks very much.

I swear I responded to this an hour after you posted it!!! WTF...

Drilling does have to be done due to the cap that seals the low beams from the elements(water, dust, dirt, mud, condensation). The caps are one of the more PITA part of the job, its pretty hard to get them back on. Well it was for me. But they are nessesary. You drill right into the center of them. a one inch drill bit should do her as said above. :D
You put the grommet in it to seal it back up! If you do not seal it back up via the caps....that would be an epic fail and would cost you money in the short run (IE new HID's and to have you headlight housing cleaned due to the condensation and eventual mold build up.

Enjoy your new lights!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
yea, the bulbs will fit just fine but you need to drill the cap behind the bulb for the wiring to go through to connect to the ballast. the guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

wait a sec... did you order blue halogen bulbs or a real HID kit with HID bulbs & a ballast?

the h7 hid kit has wires that plug directly the the bulb with a rubber grommet about 1" in diameter (hence why you need to drill a hole the size of a quarter to plug up the hole and route the wires)

Im pretty sure he ordered exactly what I did(phillips HID convertion kit) via the link I gave him. If he did hes fine.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback 2.5L
12 Posts
This is exactly what Ive ben looking for! I orderd a xenon HID conv kit a couple weeks ago and have been searching for a write up to get this started. Thanks for the details!

My only question is. I am installing on a 2000 OB. I dont beleve that I need to remove the wheel well liner to get to the headlight casing. Wondering what is the particular reason for doing this?

Also, I ordered the foglight conv kit and installed that no prob. The bulbs I ordered were yellow. Once illuminated they looked completely green! So I let the vendor know, and he sent me a 2nd set, stating that the first was probably defective. The 2nd set was also green! Any idea why this may be? Could it be because there are no reflectors in the fog light casing? I think Im just going to have to order them in OEM white and paint the fog lights yellow... Anyone else go through anything like this? Have any alternative solutions?

Attachments

·
Registered
'10 Outback 2.5iPrem
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
I believe your installation will be 100% completely different than the 2010+ OB HID installation. Did you look for any instructions for your vintage? You most likely don't have to remove the wheel cover, beyond that you are on your own. It should be pretty common sense though once you get in there. If you don't find instructions, take pictures and write your own guide.

No idea why you have green bulbs either, are your lenses tinted blue??

Good luck!

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Limited
348 Posts
Just wanted to chime in on this thread.

I tried doing the install through the wheel well like most people. F that. I couldn't fit both my head and my hand in the wheel well to see what I was doing. I went the route of taking the bumper off. It's a 20-30 min procedure tops and you get perfect access to the headlight housing. (It's even faster putting it back on).

Everything is plastic and held together with a ton of plastic push pins.

Physically removing the headlight housing makes the entire install a piece of cake since you have both hands and plenty of space to mount everything.

Without a doubt I'd recommend taking the bumper off to do an install.

·
Registered
98 Posts
+1.. I pulled the bumper.. I used the 5k DMM tuning kit.. great price and easy to install.. I just ran the wire through the OEM grommet, and filled it with silicone to seal it up..

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
1,933 Posts
DM3415, wonderful write up and pictures to boot! We bought an '11 OB at the end of the year and I ordered a set of Philips (capsules) lamps. The particular kit I got was very well-made - - this is actually my second set. I put the first set in an '09 Impreza we used to have and the light output was excellent. No adjustment was necessary with the lamp alignment. I believe the projectors in the OB a very similar to those in the Impreza, save for the fact that the Imprezas use H-11s.

I'm looking forward to doing the installation, especially since the work you put into sharing your installation with us will make the job much easier.

Thanks again!

Steve

·
Registered
'10 Outback 2.5iPrem
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Thanks Bassman! Sounds like the bumper route may be easier, but I haven't seen a step by step on it. Let the forum know how it goes, good luck!

Incidentally, the cheap Chinese bulbs are still working well, and have exceeded my expectations of durability. I would probably do Phillips next time anyway since the experiment is over.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
1,933 Posts
Well, did the installation of my HID Xtreme (Philips capsules) kit today. I followed the detailed and very clear instructions given by DM3415, choosing to remove the wheel/fender liners and go in from underneath, rather than remove each headlamp assembly. To pull the headlamp assemblies would have required removing the entire front grille and bumper assembly - - not an easy task.

As it was and even with the great instructions, this was not an easy installation and even with my relatively good mechanical and electrical aptitude, required something in excess of four hours to complete. Being a neat freak of sorts, I placed the longer runs of wires (relay to battery) in plastic sheathing for protection and additional insulation and cable-wrap-tied things down wherever possible. The completed installation looks nearly "factory" and worked without a hitch - - that is, AFTER I remembered to plug back in a factory connector I left disconnected. No adjustment was needed to the original headlamp alignment. Beam cut-off is still nice and sharp and illumination, though twice or more as bright, is no less smooth than with the original H7s in place. The HID Xtreme kit is one I recommend - - very well put together with quality materials and decent ballasts. Spend the extra money and order the kit with the optional Philips 4300 deg. K HID capsules. The light is a bit brighter and whiter than the standard 4300 and 5000 deg. K capsules. Cost for the kit is about $270.00 from Xenon Depot / KB Car Stuff (http://kbcarstuff.com).

·
Registered
'10 Outback 2.5iPrem
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Bassman Install

Congrats! I'd be interested in seeing your installation if you documented it.

I hear you on the hard work, I think I installed and reinstalled my set up 3 or 4 times, it's never quick and easy.

81 - 100 of 142 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.