Subaru Outback Forums banner
121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
62 Posts
+1.. I pulled the bumper.. I used the 5k DMM tuning kit.. great price and easy to install.. I just ran the wire through the OEM grommet, and filled it with silicone to seal it up..
Did you need any of the extras that DDM sells like the mounting brackets, error eliminator, HID harness, adapter cables or bulb adapter? Thanks!

DDM Tuning 35W and 55W HID Kits

·
Registered
498 Posts
I just installed the ddm tuning 55w watt kit on a 2012 outback 3.6. I used the extra harnesses and it was a very easy install.

Before I buttoned up the panels I testes the lights several times and they worked great. Then I cleaned up the wiring and buttoned everything up and turned the car on and they didn't work!

So I check the fuses and both were Burned out. So I put in 2 more 15amp fuses and they popped too then I tried 2 20amp fuses and they didn't work then I removed one the fore fuse and then they worked. Anybody have any clue what's going on?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm about to do this install on a 2011 and am eagerly waiting for someone to give you an answer...

·
Registered
498 Posts
put back in the 15amp fuses and they just burn up when the headlights are turned on.

now the car doesnt start!!!

when i turn the key the gas light flashes, the coolant light flashed between red and blue and the brake light flashes and the radiator fan funs on high non stop.

ive done many hid installs and been working on vehicle wiring for almost 18 years. ive never seen then before, no wires were modifed everything just pluges into harnesses and i was very cafeful with routing the wires and hooking everything up carefully

·
Registered
62 Posts
put back in the 15amp fuses and they just burn up when the headlights are turned on.

when i turn the key the gas light flashes, the coolant light flashed between red and blue and the brake light flashes and the radiator fan funs on high non stop.

ive done many hid installs and been working on vehicle wiring for almost 18 years. ive never seen then before, no wires were modifed everything just pluges into harnesses and i was very cafeful with routing the wires and hooking everything up carefully
You shouldn't have put a bigger fuse in there. You could have fried something...

Any luck getting the car started?

·
Registered
62 Posts

The OP started another thread at this point to try to get his car to turn on. Turns out that he had a frayed wire on his new DDM Tuning equipment that touched his frame. :gasp: That's what blew his 15A fuse. The solution is to check the wiring and harness very carefully and then shrinktape them before buttoning everything up.

He ran a computer on the ECU and got no codes. :D

If you do this install DO NOT switch to a larger fuse like OP did. The fuses are there to PROTECT everything on the other side of it. You could really damage your electronics or melt your wiring. Subaru is known for using just the gauge wire that their electronics need and nothing larger. Don't fry your wiring! As long as you don't put larger fuses in there you can't really hurt anything. :29:

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring / 2019 Tesla M3
626 Posts
Guys,

For those who have done the fog lights (my only interest really) what did you have to order (exactly) for the DDM Tuning kit?

(I'm trying to figure out if I purchase one kit or two kits for the H11 fogs?)

Thanks a ton for any input.

GB

·
Registered
62 Posts
Guys,

For those who have done the fog lights (my only interest really) what did you have to order (exactly) for the DDM Tuning kit?

(I'm trying to figure out if I purchase one kit or two kits for the H11 fogs?)

Thanks a ton for any input.

GB
You only need on H11 kit. It's plug and play. The DDM site has diagrams and great customer service if you get stuck.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ Nav - Azurite Blue
152 Posts
As an update:

I have the "Philips" H7 conversion kit in 4300K. You can see when I installed them earlier in the thread. They have been great and have lasted for 3.5 years now. Last night, I noticed my driver side bulb was really pink. I think the bulbs are about to die. I am trying to find a replacement set of bulbs now. So far this is what I've come up with:

Philips HID Bulbs for HID Kits

Anyone else have to replace the bulbs for this set?

·
Registered
2003 L.L. bean H6
90 Posts
As an update:

I have the "Philips" H7 conversion kit in 4300K. You can see when I installed them earlier in the thread. They have been great and have lasted for 3.5 years now. Last night, I noticed my driver side bulb was really pink. I think the bulbs are about to die. I am trying to find a replacement set of bulbs now. So far this is what I've come up with:

Philips HID Bulbs for HID Kits

Anyone else have to replace the bulbs for this set?
FYI, the site you have listed is not related to philips automotive lighting. The company you listed is out of St. Paul, MN. The name of the person who runs the site is SULEIMAN HAMED.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i ltd. 2010 Tacoma wheeling rig.
20 Posts
I wish I'd read this thread before installing my HID low beam bulbs yesterday lol.

Took way longer than it should've. tried going through the wheel wells and then ended up pulling the bumper (which was surprisingly easy) and removed the headlights.

I would definitely recommend doing it this way rather than fighting to get everything up through the wheel wells.

I used DDM tuning 35w 6000k bulbs. ordered the H7 adapters but didn't need them, and honestly have no idea how they are supposed to be used. I had to highly modify them to get them to fit, and then realized I didn't need them. Didn't use any of their other add on items. Just zip tied the balasts to something solid.

depending on how these do I'm most likely going to change out the hi beams and fogs so they all match, then swap out the parking light bulbs for led.

Just an FYI about my experience with DDM tuning. I have a set of their 3000k bulbs in my Piaa 510s as fog lights in a steel plate bumper on my tacoma. they don't get used all the time but they do get submerged in water and bashed around a lot. they are probably close to 3 years old and have never had a bulb or ballast problem. IDK if they still use the same supplier but I'm hoping for similar luck with the outback. btw delivery time was more than a week, probably close to 2 weeks. Bulbs came from china.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i ltd. 2010 Tacoma wheeling rig.
20 Posts
I ordered the h7 adapters or whatever but didn't need them. The mountin brackets and stuff aren't needed either. Just hid bulbs and balasts, and zip ties. Also a drill bit to make a hole in the plastic cap for the wire harness to come through. I forget what size I used.

·
Registered
2014 Outback Premium 2.0 Diesel CVT
4 Posts
Can anyone confirm that the part number for the plastic cover cap that we need to drill into is 84953AJ000? The best picture I could find to confirm this is the one that many Subaru OEM parts websites use that show the part as item number 9 in the attached image. I'm about to order an HID kit and do this mod and I want to have spare covers on hand in case I mess up or to just have if going back to stock.

Also, how have the DDM or other kits been holding up? How much life have people been getting out of the 35w bulbs?

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Outback Premium 2.0 Diesel CVT
4 Posts
In case anyone is wondering, I ordered the 84953AJ000 part and that is indeed the low beam headlight housing back cover that needs to get drilled into.

·
Registered
09 OBXT LTD MT
539 Posts
ive done this to my car. Ive seen many hid setups on the road that arent true hids (basically someone just replaced their halogen bulbs with brighter blue bulbs) so i thought i do mine the right way. Acura lights are gorgeous. Ever see one in your rearview mirror? *drool. I was going to go with lexus projectors to save some cash but good thing I didnt.

Didnt see many pics so i figure id contribute a bit. Heres a sampling of pics, more pics can be found:
2009 Subaru Outback by greenkouki

acura MDX projectors
Morimoto Black Series lenses
custom shield
blacked out housings
philips 4300k oem bulbs
morimoto D2S kit

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Outback Limited in Crimson Red Pearl
265 Posts
First, thanks OP for the detailed instruction. I don't think I can finish the installation without it. I did my HID installation on Sunday. It took me more than 4 hours for the job. The hard part for me is that I have to connect the power wire for HID bulb in dark since I have to use one hand to connect them by feel. I would say go with the bumper if you could. The access is extreme limited which make me wonder what the Subaru engineers is doing? I used the Kunsun HID kit from Amazon:
I wish who ever went the bumper route could write up the instruction for the bumper removal process. Anyway, I am happy with the kit so far and hope that it last!

I wish I'd read this thread before installing my HID low beam bulbs yesterday lol.

Took way longer than it should've. tried going through the wheel wells and then ended up pulling the bumper (which was surprisingly easy) and removed the headlights.

I would definitely recommend doing it this way rather than fighting to get everything up through the wheel wells.

I used DDM tuning 35w 6000k bulbs. ordered the H7 adapters but didn't need them, and honestly have no idea how they are supposed to be used. I had to highly modify them to get them to fit, and then realized I didn't need them. Didn't use any of their other add on items. Just zip tied the balasts to something solid.

depending on how these do I'm most likely going to change out the hi beams and fogs so they all match, then swap out the parking light bulbs for led.

Just an FYI about my experience with DDM tuning. I have a set of their 3000k bulbs in my Piaa 510s as fog lights in a steel plate bumper on my tacoma. they don't get used all the time but they do get submerged in water and bashed around a lot. they are probably close to 3 years old and have never had a bulb or ballast problem. IDK if they still use the same supplier but I'm hoping for similar luck with the outback. btw delivery time was more than a week, probably close to 2 weeks. Bulbs came from china.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Outback Limited in Crimson Red Pearl
265 Posts
update: It has been a week since my installation. I am really happy with the results so far. I did the HID conversion in my 06 Sienna XLE also. I did find the ballast was hot at normal running condition: it ranged from 120 to158F. I heard that it can reach up to 212F (100C). I will know how well it does in the south after the summer.

First, thanks OP for the detailed instruction. I don't think I can finish the installation without it. I did my HID installation on Sunday. It took me more than 4 hours for the job. The hard part for me is that I have to connect the power wire for HID bulb in dark since I have to use one hand to connect them by feel. I would say go with the bumper if you could. The access is extreme limited which make me wonder what the Subaru engineers is doing? I used the Kunsun HID kit from Amazon: Amazon.com: Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with "Slim" Digital Ballasts - H7 - 6000k: Automotive
I wish who ever went the bumper route could write up the instruction for the bumper removal process. Anyway, I am happy with the kit so far and hope that it last!

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/ ES
101 Posts
The Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit Slim Digital Ballasts H7 kit is the same kit from Amazon I used in my Outback as well. I am VERY happy with the install, the operation, and stability of the installation. I hope all has worked out for you all as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had issues with HIDs having glares/streaks/reflections?

I just installed them and I made sure not to touch the bulb and inserted the bulb into its correct alignment. (not sure if its possible to incorrectly insert the bulb due to the outline of the bulb base)
I correctly locked-in the metal clip and made sure the bulb was secure. Drove the car for 1hr plus and still had the same look. All connections must've been right since it is lit correctly, just has weird streaks instead of the usual spread of light. If this is unique, I shall try out a different brand and see if its a manufacturing issue.

I own a 2013 Outback (gen4) and purchased :XENTEC H7 5000K Advanced Slim Alloy Ballast HID Xenon Kit (OEM White). (Went with a cheap kit for now, hoping it'll last)
BTW, the kit doesn't include the rubber grommet so I had to purchase one and is currently being shipped.

This is an old thread but appears to be the most informational of the few I've browsed through in the forums.
I will check back and attach pictures if anyone is interested.

I went through the method of removing the front bumper and removing the headlight assembly to access it. It is quite easy except for the PITA push pins under the car with gunk build up.
Theres 6 pins on bottom (3 on each side) 2 by the wheel (1 per side) and about 6 or 7 pins on top when hood is opened.

121 - 140 of 142 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.