Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to install a HID or LED kit into lowbeams on my 04 outback, has anyone here done this??

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,183 Posts
Do it right or don't do it at all.

Otherwise, everyone on the road will want to take a hammer to your $1000 Outback. And they will be right.

·
Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
479 Posts
An HID bulb has a much larger light output source than a halogen bulb. So an HID bulb in a halogen housing will send light where it wasn't intended (usually into the eyes of oncoming traffic).

A well-built LED chip perfectly mimics a halogen bulb, and offer considerably more light where you want it, and nothing where you don't.

Great information:

Because of the higher color temperature of LEDs, they generally don't seem to cast as much light down road. So I left the high beams as halogens, but I put some decent LEDs in place of the low beams in our 04. These have a smaller light output point than the halogen, and as a result, a slightly narrower beam.

Halogen:

20170106_190722
by Numbchux, on Flickr

LED

20170106_194357
by Numbchux, on Flickr

But, importantly, they do not cast any more above the cutoff
20170106_194211 by Numbchux, on Flickr

It's crucial that the lenses are completely clear. So do some searching around, and find a restoration process you like, and do that.

The exact LEDs that I used are no longer available, unfortunately.

You'll want to buy ones with a flexible braid style heat sink on the back like this:

Otherwise you'll likely have to cut a hole in the cap to fit them, in which case you'll risk debris in there.

The DRL system on these cars lowers the voltage to the low beam bulbs. When you replace with LEDs, they'll likely flicker badly, so you'll have to disable the DRLs (Easy, well-documented).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts