Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently obtained a quotation for having a hitch installed on our 2013 Subaru Outback and the dealer which is the largest in the region quoted a Drawtite #36493. When they sent me the links of how it was installed (because I wanted to know how it was going to be installed on the car) the video had a hitch with a hidden hitch sticker on it. In looking up online the Hidden Hitch 90208 and the Drawtite 36493 have exactly the same instructions sheet. Are these hitches identical other than the decals. I know...I know everyone on here is a do it yourselfer and I will probably get a lot of comments telling me to do the installation, but I would rather exclude myself from all of the cursing and slamming my fist on the concrete (yep..i'm one of thise people). I like some diy projects but when it comes to these types of things I would rather not

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the confirmation

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
214 Posts
FWIW, I have a Curt 13990 Class III that was installed a few weeks back. Its a "hidden hitch" and looks great. Im sure there isnt much difference between hitches out there. Road N Rack---hitch, installed, and wiring was $386.00 out the door. I didnt get it at Amazon but here's a link. I have used Road N Rack for quite a few years and they say over 90% of the hitches they install on Outbacks are the one below. There are probably more Outbacks per square mile in Utah than anywhere else in the world!

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Subaru/Outback+Wagon/2012/13390.html?vehicleid=2012301541

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
I did a lot of researching and it appears Hidden Hitch and Draw-Tite are the same. As McBrew said, they are the same company.

As for all hitches being the same, that's not the case, especially with the 4th gen OB.

The Curt hitch, above, does not use all 4 factory mounting points. They require you to drill 2 additional holes for mounting.

The Hidden Hitch and Draw-Tite use all 4 mounting points. If you remove the bumper you can install it without drilling or cutting any additional holes.

Torklift also offers a "stealth" hitch that looks a little better. It has been redesigned to use the factory holes too, but requires a little bending of sheetmetal to install.

Lot's of discussion in this thread:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...t/45380-group-buy-torklift-stealth-hitch.html

and here

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-hitch-being-redesigned-greatly-improved.html

I have a Hidden Hitch at home ready to install this weekend, it was cheaper than the Draw-Tite ;)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I am going with the Drawtite/Hiddenhitch but probably not taking the rear bumper off. The instructions/de-structions show drilling the pilot hole which does not appear to be an issue

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
There are 1000's of cars rolling around that have used pilot hole method. Personally I don't mind the process of removing the bumper and prefer not to add any extra holes than necessary, but I truly don't think it will cause any additional problems if done right.

If you do drill an extra hole just be sure to cover exposed metal with a good coat of paint.

Enjoy your OB :)

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
214 Posts
I was aware that additional holes had to be drilled but it wasnt an issue, at least for me. The great thing is it took Road N Rack about 40 minutes to install.

Regardless of the hitch (Curt/Draw-Lite)--both are good hitches.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Regardless of the hitch (Curt/Draw-Lite)--both are good hitches.
Agreed, I have a Curt on my Hyundai and really like their "tube" design.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone used a "Torklift" hitch on their 2011-13 Outback? I've seen pics of the hitch, but would like to see a pic of it installed. Also, has anyone found adaptor hardware to use Thule bike and ski attachments (designed for their rectangular crossbars) on the Outback crossbars....which are wider and thinner?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I’m interested in towing data after market hitch companies provide for Outback. What is maximum tongue and towing weight? Do they provide anything in writing?

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts
I’m interested in towing data after market hitch companies provide for Outback. What is maximum tongue and towing weight? Do they provide anything in writing?
The ratings are determined by the vehicle not the hitch manufacturer, Outback has a unibody construction and that limits the tongue weight to 200lbs. no matter how stout of a hitch you install

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After a lot of research and looking at pricing I went with the UHaul Hitch. $235 installed including taxes. Cannot beat that! Interestingly the Uhaul hitch seems to be coated with either more coats of the black coating or a higher quality coating than the Drawtite, Curt or other models

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i CVT
468 Posts
Has anyone used a "Torklift" hitch on their 2011-13 Outback? I've seen pics of the hitch, but would like to see a pic of it installed. Also, has anyone found adaptor hardware to use Thule bike and ski attachments (designed for their rectangular crossbars) on the Outback crossbars....which are wider and thinner?
Yeah, I have one as do a few others here. Don't have a pic of it though. The end result is really nice from a look standpoint but mine has begun to rust after only 9 months on the car. I'm not just talking about the receiver either, they always begin to rust after you us it a few times because the paint gets damaged from normal use. The hitch has rust spots all over, even where it's tucked up under the car. Looks like they didn't do a good job on the material prep prior to powder coating so the metal began to rust under the paint. I will likely take mine off and have a friend (who owns a powder coating company) refinish the hitch so it won't rust for years. For the record Torklift doesn't warranty the hitch finish. I would have just purchased a HiddenHitch or UHaul one if I did it over again. The torklift wasn't worth the extra money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts