Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hidden Hitch Alternate Mouting W/ Pics!

So when I was looking around for a hitch to install on my 06, I ran across a rumor that some had "alternatively" mounted the Cequent hitch (Hidden, DrawTite, and Reese brands) ABOVE the tow loop. This reduces the amount of approach angle lost. Of course, despite reading this 2 or 3 times on the forums, no one actually posted any links.

Determined to do this, I spent 3.5 hours this afternoon fihting this thing, trying to cram it into the alternate position. It didn't work. I tried with the mufflers off, L-Brackets on, L-Brackets off. Nothing. To me, the only way this will work is if the tow loop is bent down (probably ripping it off the car in the process), or reducing the height of the mounting tabs on top of the hitch. Neither method is going to be easy.

So my questoin is, has anyone ACTUALLY done this?

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
I didn't spend much time, but I too couldn't get it on the other side of the toe loop. I suspect since the toe loop is just welded on, that it can end up in slightly different locations depending on the worker doing it, and thus some people might be able to slide the hidden hitch up there, some not.

I have not seen any pics, but have also read the posts that some have achieved this.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good point, and probably why the hitch is designed the way it is. It's easier to deal with production variations by attaching it to the bottom of the tow loop verses the top.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found it!!!!

So here is the link that has the modification that supposedly allows you to mount it above the tow ring.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/hidden-hitch-mod-47639.html

I was hoping I could do this without modifying the hitch. I feel like this could open up litigation issues in the event someone has a wreck while towing. That said, the bolt that tightens the hitch to the tow loop is specified at 75ft-lb, which is thousands, if not over ten thousand pounds of tensile clamping force. Basically, don't think it'll be an issue.

I found the above thread through this thread
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/everything-you-wanted-know-hitch-install-12576p6.html

If I get a free weekend at somepoint, I may spend some time trying to make this work. It looks like I may have to stick the mounting tabs in an arbour press to make them sit flush with the frame.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I tried this out yesterday. Not happy with it. I think this afternoon I'm just going to pull it off and only put it on when I need to tow.

It did help the height (I have 12.5 inches of ground clearance at the hitch opening), but it would only mount if I pulled off the L-Brackets that re-enforce the rear sheet metal to the frame rails. It's also pitched up. I don't think the angle would harm towing ability (trailers attach to a ball after all), but it looks goofy from the sides.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I think it's growing on me actually. Here are some pictures from the side and back. Instead of pulling it off I may modify the L-brackets to make them work.

Pictures added correctly this time.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 OBXT, 5MT, SWP
38 Posts
Keep us up to date please. I am thinking of removing the factory 1.25" and going with a 2" hidden hitch. I don't much care for how low they normally sit, but I really want a 2" receiver.

If you can get the pictures up that would be great too.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Edited previous post with pictures added correctly.

·
Registered
2009 OBXT, 5MT, SWP
38 Posts
Thank you for the pictures.
I don't think it looks bad at the distance you were shooting from. I can see how the hitch is not parallel with the curb. I agree that it probably will not affect towing. The majority of people, myself included, are probably using these for mounting bicycle racks and that angle will probably bring the top of the rack, and the bicycles, closer to the vehicle which would not be as desirable. Did you end up altering the mounting tabs in a press?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts