Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's a weird one: has anyone found any good spots in their OBS where an item about the size of a wallet or PDA can be stowed and be invisible or very hard to find, even on a search of interior of the car?? not fixin to start running bricks of cocaine, but i'd like to be able to surreptitiously take a small pistol (Kel-Tec P3) when i go beach camping in Mexico (or the US!) without too much risk of seeing inside of MExican jail. they get pretty upset abt firearms there, apparently the only ones who are supposed to have em are the cartels...?? :11:

if i find a spot, i'll post. thanks! :cool:

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Well besides the little flaps that can be lifted in the rear cargo area and in the spare tire well, I don't think there are too many other areas inside the car to hide things good. Brian

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this morn in wee hrs, i thot of area under p-brake handle...it pops open w/o tools, had to do it repeatedly while installing el estereo, but it's hard to tellit's even a separate panel from the main console. need to open it and check how much room i have there.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Uh, what good is the gun going to be, if you have to take out tools to get to where you "stashed" it? Not exactly "quick and easy" access to personal protection.

Get a peice of fabric/leather that matches the factory seats, Make a pocket big enough for the item. and install/sew it on under the seat.

It would at least be easier to access.

*disclaimer* any attempt to "hide" a firearm(s) is a serious offense in almost all states, and Mexico. (possession is another matter all-together). You accept the risk for your own actions. */disclaimer*

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*disclaimer* any attempt to "hide" a firearm(s) is a serious offense in almost all states, and Mexico. (possession is another matter all-together). You accept the risk for your own actions. */disclaimer*

you may mean most eastern states....?? but i live in Bubbaland. in TX and NM, it's not, if you're traveling (defined in TX as crossing 2+ county or state lines in a day). if you're in a city of over a certain size in NM, you have to have it openly displayed. in Mexico, it is absolutely verboten, concealed or open. i understand your comments about balancing risk from miscreants with risk from gummint types, but i've been practicing criminal defense law for 21+ years and am reasonably up on the various legal rules, esp since much of my practice is search and seizure Qs. under some circumstances, would rather risk the govt types than the clientele element.

and what i was looking for was something i could just pop off without tools if needed. the sewn-in plan is a definite possibility. if i didn't have huge crossover networks inside my front door panels, there wd be enough room in there. thanks for idea!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i looked last night and yes, the panel just under the p-brake handle does pop right off w/o tools in abt 5 sec, this isn't real visible, and there's space under there for hidden storage of whatever....spare remote, emergency cash, impt papers on trip (like birth certif when outside the US), or of course a small pistol. not that i'd recommend such misdeeds as that last to anyone

send lawyers guns and Outbacks, the **** has hit the fan....

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I just wanted to make sure folks new that in MOST (but not all) states, concealing a handgun MAY be considered a crime.

There are a 1001 reasons to keep some form of personal protection handy at all times. There are also 1001 reasons not to. Each person acts according to what reasons they feel most apply to them. Some folks love firearms, some folks detest them. It's the USA, we can all get along as long as we don't force folks to carry/own guns who don't want them or take away the rights of folks that want them to own/transport them.

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to BE good – and less trouble”.
Mark Twain

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
leaving aside initial Q for a moment, has everyone looked at all the wonderful storage cubbies under the rear carpet? i had no idea all those were there until prepping for recent trip. esp if you replace the wing bolt holding down spare with reglr bolt and dedicated wrench...one of the mini compressors fits, plus spare fuel filter, fan belt, etc. i keep a cheapie digital multimeter in forwardmost compartment too to keep it from bashage.

·
Registered
151 Posts
cptoversteer said:
leaving aside initial Q for a moment, has everyone looked at all the wonderful storage cubbies under the rear carpet? i had no idea all those were there until prepping for recent trip. esp if you replace the wing bolt holding down spare with reglr bolt and dedicated wrench...one of the mini compressors fits, plus spare fuel filter, fan belt, etc. i keep a cheapie digital multimeter in forwardmost compartment too to keep it from bashage.
I have noticed before in the rear of my 02 OBS there are little storage areas on either side of the main spare tire area, with their own pop-up panel. They have molded plastic recepticles and appear to have a specific purpose, which escape me. Perhaps that's where the jack/hardware go if you get some sort of factory sub that goes into the fender?? They're not very big, but they look thought out for *something*

-Peter

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
In those cubby holes in my OBS are...spare duct tape, spare latex rubber gloces, spare bungee cords, spare tools, spare shop rags, and many other things hidden in those compartments. Brian

·
Registered
42 Posts
PTinVT said:
I have noticed before in the rear of my 02 OBS there are little storage areas on either side of the main spare tire area, with their own pop-up panel. They have molded plastic recepticles and appear to have a specific purpose, which escape me. Perhaps that's where the jack/hardware go if you get some sort of factory sub that goes into the fender?? They're not very big, but they look thought out for *something*
Sounds like you're describing where the ends of the cargo cover go when you want to store it under the floor. Pop up the spare tire area cover, then pop up those two little flaps, and you've got a long, thin receptacle where the cargo cover fits.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, that's what those openings are for but i'm still figuring out the others.

i also carry a tow strap (i DO NOT want to miss the chance to pull a "real" sportyoot out of the muck.....:D :D ) and cheapie tie down straps. carry 2 pairs of nitrile gloves and wear both pairs and they'll protect against scrapes n bangs as well as fluids.

another item i carry is a folded piece of the 2' width of "reflectix" insulation (basically bubble wrap covered both sides with mylar, abt 5/16" thick). if i have to lay on ground, this keeps me clean and from roasting or freezing, and it's slick so i can position it under the car and slide on it as a sort of "creeper". fits under the carpet, sorta, or you can roll it up.

other possibilities for below-floor spares for back-country trip: bulbs, bread bag and zip ties for emerg CV boot cover, fuses, basic survival kit, a couple of soda bottles of drinking water, one of distilled for radiator or battery, road flares or cyalume sticks, 3' of 12 ga electrical wire, baling wire (AKA MG muffler bracket), hose "bandage" that heat seals, HVAC tape, electrical tape, zip ties, flashlight or head lamp with batteries reversed so it won't accidentally turn on, silicone gasket goop, JB Weld or similar epoxy steel product plus a little bit of fiberglass cloth(this will patch even an alum engine case in emergency, i've done it on bike), tire patch kit and jumper cables.

any other suggestions?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Dang, that's a bunch of stuff! heh-heh
I only put pliers (both locking and regular), along with electrical tape and jumper cables, back there in the subfloor spaces. I've learned to keep pliers on board. Socket set is so useless sometimes! ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Fire extinguisher.

Don't want to let a little electrical "oops" waste your whole car. I had a buddy who had a Dodge Aries go up in flames last year about this time due to a small electrical short. No fire extinguisher == new car shopping.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
good point, i have one for bus but do need to get one for OB. also a good thing to have around campsite. Co2 extinguishers cost abt twice as much as dry chemical but don't leave a mess behind and corrode yr electrical system like dry chem aftermath does. recent experience with this when stepson extinguished a neighbor's burning VW near home.

>>>>>AND CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES RELIGIOUSLY, AS OLD FUEL LINES ARE PROBABLY #1 SOURCE OF ENGINE FIRES, ESP WITH EFI SYSTEM WHERE YOU HAVE 35-50+ PSI TRYING TO GET OUT<<<<<

radiator hoses and cap, and T'stat+gasket are good items to carry in spares kit as well, as hoses can be cut or gouged by sticks etc offroad and stat can fail w/o much warning, which can strand you in exciting places. and you'd be bummed if you left yr rad cap at gas station in some fur distant land. :(

·
Registered
151 Posts
etzel said:
Fire extinguisher.

Don't want to let a little electrical "oops" waste your whole car. I had a buddy who had a Dodge Aries go up in flames last year about this time due to a small electrical short. No fire extinguisher == new car shopping.
Not to be insensitive, but I don't think the loss of a Dodge Aries is exactly an automotive travesty. I mean, aren't they worth about the same as a fire extinguisher, on average? :rolleyes:

couldn't resist.....
:D :D :D

-Peter

·
Registered
82 Posts
PTinVT said:

Not to be insensitive, but I don't think the loss of a Dodge Aries is exactly an automotive travesty. I mean, aren't they worth about the same as a fire extinguisher, on average? :rolleyes:

couldn't resist.....
:D :D :D

-Peter
You're entirely correct, but this guy doesn't exactly have the cash to spare on a used car. he had to scrape up dough to buy a used neon with different color fenders...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts