Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
i am trying to setup a phone mount on dashboard(or vent mount), however one of the thing i try to avoid is the charging cable being seen hanging around in front of the outback radio and controls.

Looks like the best way is to hide the route the cable into the central air vents.
I seen some people already done that before.

Question is, how that was being done? Do i have to take out entire infortaiment system and reroute, or taking out the cental air vent (and other things) will be enough to achieve this goal?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
see
subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/324985-my-mini-upgrades-dashcam-always-12v-phone-mount-backup-camera-switch-etc.html

where a reader previously mentioned that is done on an outback

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I don't suffer from cell phone addiction so mine stays in my pocket when behind the wheel.

If charging was important to me I would own a car with a wireless charging pad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the main use case to mount the phone of course is for its 's navigation map. like google map. it is not for texting purpose.
as matter of fact, my plan is to use charging cable to supply power to a wireless charging pad integrated to phone mount.

but the charging cable is kind of ugly that hanging around in front of the stereo.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,163 Posts
Not that similar, but my Passport radar detector uses an RJ11 connector (like a home phone) for power, so I bought a 25' phone cable and ran it down the bottom windshield edge to passenger's side, around end and under glove box, then under console trim to console armrest storage box. Went up outside between seat and armrest storage and coupled it to the power plug with a F/F block connector. Used a credit card to push the wire in. Only exposed parts are the 4" coming up from dash and the part between the storage box and the side of the pass backrest.

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,863 Posts
Not that similar, but my Passport radar detector uses an RJ11 connector (like a home phone) for power, so I bought a 25' phone cable and ran it down the bottom windshield edge to passenger's side, around end and under glove box, then under console trim to console armrest storage box. Went up outside between seat and armrest storage and coupled it to the power plug with a F/F block connector. Used a credit card to push the wire in. Only exposed parts are the 4" coming up from dash and the part between the storage box and the side of the pass backrest.
This is difficult to visualize precisely. Do you have pics?

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,163 Posts
This is difficult to visualize precisely. Do you have pics?
No, actually there's nothing to see! Which part? As I recall, the only place I had some difficulty was at the passenger's end of the dash. Just a matter of stuffing it in.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
No, actually there's nothing to see! Which part? As I recall, the only place I had some difficulty was at the passenger's end of the dash. Just a matter of stuffing it in.
It does not really matter because I have to go into the data/power port under the head unit. I was just trying to get a clear understanding of your exact cord route. When you say “pass backrest”, I don’t know precisely where that is on your route. Also, I don’t quite understand the exact path under the glove box. Anyway, again, I need the data port anyway.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback, 2.5l, Limited Trim Package, 18" Stock wheels. No extras... YET!
97 Posts
I invested in the ProClip mount, and ran my changing cable from the ACC power inside the glove box. There is a small hole in the back of the glove box i was able to fish the charging cable through. I tucked it under the trim of the center console, and the short tail hangs out right around the base of the Clip. it is a VERY CLEAN look works great for phone based navigation! I would recommend to anyone. (And many in my family will be getting custom mounts in their x-mas stockings this year!)

I can add some pics of my install later tonight...

Edit: Grammar

Reactions: walker

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I invested in the ProClip mount, and ran my changing cable from the ACC power inside the glove box. There is a small hole in the back of the glove box i was able to fish the charging cable through. I tucked it under the trim of the center console, and the short tail hangs out right around the base of the Clip. it is a VERY CLEAN look works great for phone based navigation! I would recommend to anyone. (And many in my family will be getting custom mounts in their x-mas stockings this year!)

View attachment 471753

I can add some pics of my install later tonight...

Edit: Grammar
I see the hole in the back of the glove box, but I don’t see how that hole is relevant to you. Do you mean center console?

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback, 2.5l, Limited Trim Package, 18" Stock wheels. No extras... YET!
97 Posts
I see the hole in the back of the glove box, but I don’t see how that hole is relevant to you. Do you mean center console?
Yup! Yup I did mean the center console! I have the '17 OB, and there is a small hole on the passenger side, about half way back...

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Yup! Yup I did mean the center console! I have the '17 OB, and there is a small hole on the passenger side, about half way back...
Got it. Things are adding up now. On my ‘18, I don’t see a hole on the outside of the center console. On the inside, I have a console vault covering things up. I will have to remove the vault to find a hole.

Anyway, I use the data/power port under the headunit. I don’t connect via Bluetooth, but maybe I should if I can hide the cord clean like you guys!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Got it. Things are adding up now. On my ‘18, I don’t see a hole on the outside of the center console. On the inside, I have a console vault covering things up. I will have to remove the vault to find a hole.
It's a slow day in the office, just ran out and grabbed a few pics... see if this helps?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I plan to hide a 16 ft data/power cord. I will be mounting my phone on the windshield, right below the mirror, using this magnet mount that I just ordered. (My OB has no Eyesight.) I will post pics after installation.

E7B45ADE-643E-457C-984A-289D266F5ED6.jpeg

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
1,105 Posts
It's a slow day in the office, just ran out and grabbed a few pics... see if this helps?
View attachment 471754
View attachment 471755
I have same holder now on my 3rd car and I have to say ProClipUSA mounts are worth every penny.
Only difference is I have my power running to the cubby as using Apple CarPlay but may try and hide it so I can close cubby door although so far not really a huge deal leaving open.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I have same holder now on my 3rd car and I have to say ProClipUSA mounts are worth every penny.
Only difference is I have my power running to the cubby as using Apple CarPlay but may try and hide it so I can close cubby door although so far not really a huge deal leaving open.
Please post pics if you figure out how to hide the cord from the cubby.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I got my magnet mount setup on the windshield. The 10 ft cord disappears with the rearview mirror cords and remains hidden until the right side of the steering wheel. I could not figure out a way to hide the cord from under the dash into the cubby hole, unless I drill a hole. Anyway, I now have two magnet mounts installed for two placement options. You can see my other magnet mount right above the cubby hole.

9EF1FF45-9A98-4AC9-896E-690469ABD04F.jpeg

7F3515CD-98A8-4207-BE8B-76CE8EB55B39.jpeg

973A983F-529D-493A-9ED0-63A897888DE7.jpeg
94554CB5-FF66-469A-8E3B-3E8FDE1BC33F.jpeg
0B78C526-B3A5-4872-A700-9AD26C17BAB9.jpeg

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got my magnet mount setup on the windshield. The 10 ft cord disappears with the rearview mirror cords and remains hidden until the right side of the steering wheel. I could not figure out a way to hide the cord from under the dash into the cubby hole, unless I drill a hole. Anyway, I now have two magnet mounts installed for two placement options. You can see my other magnet mount right above the cubby hole.
View attachment 472082
Do you remember which magnet mount you purchased for above the cubby?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts