Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Limited Nav
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to see if anyone swapped out the OEM headlights to HID;s if so what did you guys use and it ALL GOOD after the swap! I was looking to put in a set of 4300K to keep it looking OEM .. DOes anyone have a COMPLETE bulb listing for the 2013? Fog lamps interior bulbs and outside bulbs? I want to upgrade to LED's.. Sylvania has info but only goes to 2012.. Wasnt sure if that is the same.. I know the fog lights changed in 2013.. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
Wattage Bulb No.
1) High beam headlight 12V-60W HB3 (9005)
2) Parking light 12V-5W W5W
3) Low beam headlight 12V-55W H7
4) Front turn signal light 12V-21W WY21W
5) Map light 12V-8W
6) Dome light 12V-8W
7) Door step light 12V-5W W5W
8) Front fog light Outback 12V-55W H11
9) Front side marker light 12V-5W W5W
10) Vanity mirror light 14V-1.4W HTU
11) Cargo area light 12V-13W
12) Backup light (Outback) 12V-16W W16W (921)
13) Tail light (Outback) 12V-5W W5W
14) License plate light (Outback) 12V-5W W5W
15) Rear turn signal light (Outback) 12V-21W WY21W

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
I purchased a harness, ballasts and bulbs from the retrofit source. Simple install, I removed the bumper to install everything. No issues thus far and they work great. I have the 4300k bulbs which produce nice white light instead of that ricer blue.

More invovled solution: I have also researched the RX330 non-AFS projectors can be swapped in with ours as they share similiar mounting surfaces, just need to trim a little off the projetor but this requires you open your headlights.

Attached are the specifications for the bulbs, the dome, and map lights are approx 30mm festoons, I used 31mm from VLED and they work just fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
dammit you beat me to it... :)

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
No plug n play kit is legal. That being said, some are better than others. I have a 35w DDM kit which is fine, but the 4500k bulbs looked more like 6000k and the colors didn't even match each other.

Since then I changed the bulbs out to Morimoto 4300k from The Retrofit Source and they put out fantastic white light (actually ever so slightly yellow). Don't forget to aim the lights more downward to avoid excessive glare. The stock projectors put out a decent beam pattern. It's the additional "squirrel finder" light that is less than perfect, however the light emitted is not as bright as the main beam and the pattern isn't nearly as wide so oncoming drivers in the opposite lane aren't likely to be bothered. No complaints/highbeams/middle fingers so far. Just be as conscientious as possible about aiming them. The 4300k is also much less annoying to others. I hate blue headlights.

You can also mod your squirrel finders so that they're blocked. It'll involve taking apart the headlamps, so if you go that far you might as well go for a complete projector retrofit. If there was a guy who had pre-made retrofitted lights, I'd be down to exchange my current lights as a core for new ones.

·
Registered
2012 4LT Centennial Edition Grand Sport Corvette convertible
494 Posts
This likely will be one of the first mods I do to my new '13 Outback. I will do both low beam and fog lights. Has anybody used a 55W kit for the fogs yet?

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
I beleive there is person on this forum that has HID's in the fogs; I think it is overkill, and 55w, way overkill (if your going to use them as intended that is), just my opinion, I had them in my fogs on my last car and regreted it.

This likely will be one of the first mods I do to my new '13 Outback. I will do both low beam and fog lights. Has anybody used a 55W kit for the fogs yet?

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Those WY21W are identical to 7440 (992) bulbs on these shores ... the difference is that WY21W bulbs comply with EU ECE while 7440(992) bulbs comply with US DOT.
Same with W5W - the equivalent to those are 2825 bulbs... The globalization of cars at its best!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I beleive there is person on this forum that has HID's in the fogs; I think it is overkill, and 55w, way overkill (if your going to use them as intended that is), just my opinion, I had them in my fogs on my last car and regreted it.
I've got 55W HIDs in the fogs on my 2002 Avalanche; I somewhat agree that they are probably overkill but I do really like them. I've got them adjusted so that I rarely get flashed when I'm running them. I primarily use them on two lane blacktop roads, where there are a lot of deer. I want to see them as soon as possible.

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
Well then, you cannot go wrong with buying from the retrofit source. Good product, good customer service should you need it.

I took this from my dash cam, I get a lot of this, and sometimes even in purple/violet, super ghetto!:

When someone mentions 55k HID in halogen housing that is what I think off.
I've got 55W HIDs in the fogs on my 2002 Avalanche; I somewhat agree that they are probably overkill but I do really like them. I've got them adjusted so that I rarely get flashed when I'm running them. I primarily use them on two lane blacktop roads, where there are a lot of deer. I want to see them as soon as possible.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The 55W, 6000k HID conversion kit and wire harness are on order. I'll wait on the 35W low-beam conversion kit until the weather warms up a little more. I debated on going with the 3000k bulbs for better fog performance but I'm really using them for better side-road visibility and the white will work better for that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts