Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5 with Eyesight. 19mm Rear Sway Bar. Steering Dampener Lock Down. HID upgrade from retrofit source.
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Outback Premium 2.5i with Eyesight

I know this is nitpicking, but I wanted to see if there was a way to fix it.

At night, I drive with the dash on the dimmest setting. In my opinion, it isn't dim enough, but its OK. What bothers me is the high beam indicator.
It doesn't dim with the rest of the dash, and with the high beams on, the light from the indicator is too bright.

Last night, I drove about 250 miles of highway and I saw 4 different vehicles pulled over after striking deer. I slowed down and turned on the auto-brights feature. It is an awesome feature (works much better than the similar feature in my old 89 Thunderbird), but that blue indicator on the dash gives me one **** of a headache with how bright it is. I tried adjusting the seat up and down, as well as the steering wheel, but I couldn't block the light or move to where it didn't seem so bright.

Is there any way, beyond putting a piece of tape on the dash, to dim this light? Would I void my warranty by attempting to open up the cluster and put a coating or film over where the light shines through? Any other ideas?

I know there isn't an immediate need to accomplish this, as I rarely drive long distances at night but it would be nice if I could do something permanent that didn't involve a piece of black electrical tape.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Ltd. w. Eyesight
228 Posts
How about a piece of tinting film or dark anti-sun glare film?

Reactions: BubbaATL

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,452 Posts
It looks like it wouldn't be too hard to pull out the gauges and check it out. But, yeah, mess it up and it's your bill to fix it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring
378 Posts
How about a piece of tinting film or dark anti-sun glare film?
This. I had a light that similarly drove me nuts behind the grill of my center channel speaker right under my TV. I liked being able to see it but not so bright please. So I put a layer or three of something like that over it and now it's just right.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5 with Eyesight. 19mm Rear Sway Bar. Steering Dampener Lock Down. HID upgrade from retrofit source.
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ill try the film for now. Seems like the easiest solution. I'm not afraid to pull the cluster and check it out, but I don't have a lot of time at the moment to not have a vehicle and I don't know how long it would realistically take me to pull the cluster. Looks easy enough though. Thanks for all of the information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts