Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this question has been answered, but I tried searching and couldn't find anything. I just went out for a drive to try and see the northern lights, and my brights wouldn't switch on when I pushed the lever forward. The blue high beam indicator light didn't come on the dash either. The only way the brights would come on is if I pulled the lever back and held it there. It almost seemed like my low beams were really dim, but it might just be in my head. Can anyone help me out? High beams are very necessary where I live. I don't want to hit and deer or moose!

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Bad combination switch

The only way the brights would come on is if I pulled the lever back and held it there.
So we've determined that the bulbs, fuses, and "flash to pass" switch (pull back) works. It sounds to me like it's the combination switch stalk coming from the steering wheel. It controls the lights (spin - OK), turn signals (up or down - OK), and the high beams (pull back - OK) BUT Push forward not OK. Narrowed down to the "push forward" part of the stalk combination switch not working. Probably the stalk or some wiring from there.

Don't get on ebay just yet. Someone here may have another suggestion. Just my analytic brain walking through it so far. Here are some pages from the shop manual in case you are so inclined to do some testing.

combo-switch.jpg Combo-Switch-Diagnostic.jpg

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Silly question time: Are you certain your lights were switched on?
It almost seemed like my low beams were really dim
The day time running light (DRL) are on when the car is on and the headlights are off. They are only half as bright as the headlights.
my brights wouldn't switch on when I pushed the lever forward. The blue high beam indicator light didn't come on the dash either. The only way the brights would come on is if I pulled the lever back and held it there.
This is also how the high beams work when the headlights are not turned on. I imagine you'd notice your dash lights were not illuminated. If they were on and your headlights (check the tail lights for confirmation) were not coming on, then it may be the on/off switch part of the comb switch stalk. Let me know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem Solved

Well, I feel like an idiot! :eek: The daytime running lights were on instead of the normal lights. Everything works fine. I'm glad you asked that silly question because I never even thought to look at that. I always keep my lights on, but other people were driving my car this weekend while helping my husband and I move into our new house. Someone must have messed around with the light switch.

Thanks so much! I promise that I'm normally smarter than this.
Cassie

·
Registered
65 Posts
I made the same mistake when I first got my Outback. My old car defaulted to auto lights. And I got my oil changed this weekend, and they turned the lights off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
DOOM161
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing