Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
O3 Sub Outback Wagon 2.5L AWD 4EAT w/ All-weather Package
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I sent the 03 Outback 2.5L in for emissions testing and it failed miserably. It passed a year ago with flying colours.

Now it has
Oxygen sensor heater circuit P0032 code. Will this cause the high emissions output?

I am being told the sensor is $500+, is this true? :(

Is it this sensor? http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=4397

I found a Walker part # of 250-54001 and Denso 234-9015. Both around $150 to $160 on www.oxygensensors.com.

Am I missing something? How eaasy is it to replace on a Sub. Do I have to go under the car?

·
Registered
2004 Outback Limited 2.5i
9 Posts
try rock auto, it is around $86 for the front sensor and $68 for the rear, made by Denso which is what Subaru uses. not sure if i can post the website link but you can do a google search for Rock Auto parts.

I recently ordered from them and they are quick to ship. One lesson I learned from changing the sensors, make sure you spend the $10 for the sensor socket, and a breaker bar if you have one. if not you will strip the bolt using regular wrench and it sucks. dont ask me how i know :)

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Yes - have a good tool for the sensor and it's an easy job. Remove sensor, install sensor, there's really no work getting to it, like removing parts or anything.

Like he said - have a proper tool so you don't strip it out, particularly if there's any rust involved.

My truck failed emissions and I just gave it a tune up - plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, and it then passed easily. Yours doesn't have a cap and rotor but new OEM plugs and wires would be a good start. Newer Subaru engines do much better with stock OEM plugs and Subaru wires, though you can get away with a high quality set of wires, just don't get cheap ones. I've seen new wires cause cylinder misfires right out of the box on newer subaru engines. which is funny since the older engines were so insensitive i felt like you could almost use coat hanger for spark plug wires. LOL

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been getting prices ranging from $480 down to $330, because it is a Subaru. I am in Canada and deal with the odd high price but that is stupid.

The Dealer is $340, Napa is $440 list but will "GIVE" it to me for $330.

Ordering on line, I will pay the brokerage fees's.

I have the O2 socket and the tools to make it happen.

Can I get to sensor from under the hood or do I have to go through the wheel well?

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
Sensor is fairly easy to get to from underneath. Think I paid about $130 for a Subaru sensor online.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Hi all

I sent the 03 Outback 2.5L in for emissions testing and it failed miserably.

Now it has
Oxygen sensor heater circuit P0032 code. Will this cause the high emissions output?

Any time your dash Check Engine light is on, you will fail emissions. Make sure you drive the vehicle before taking it back to test it as it has to do a full range of on board checks before it is ready for testing. If you have a scan tool many of them can tell you when those checks have been completed by your car.

If your O2 sensor is seriously rusted you might want to have a pro tackle it. Otherwise they are very easy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always heat the pipe around the O2 sensor before attemping removal and use the proper socket. I meesed up the bung on my Mustang H-pipe many years ago and was told of this trick after getting it fixed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts