Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have tentatively settled on Pirelli CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS II, but am curious if anyone else has driven on them, or would care to offer other suggestions. Money not an issue. I'm mostly interested in quieter ride and tighter handling. Snow is not a concern as I'm living in Florida. Some beach driving but nothing hard core.

I upgraded my 2014 Forester Premium xt a few years back with Michelins, and was quite astonished at how much less tire noise they produced vs the the OEM tires. Although the Outback is a much better mannered vehicle, I am hearing some tire noise--maybe a little more than the old Forester, which I've been alternating driving.

I am basing my purchase on Tire Rack ratings.

Any thoughts gratefully accepted.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I used to run tours of the Grand Canyon, one particular day I had a retired Goodyear tire engineer and his wife and we got to talking. I asked him what tire he personally used and he responded with Michelin. I asked why, and his response blew me away. He stated that Michelin engineered better tires.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Premium (Pre-Ordered)
180 Posts
My Rogue had nearly new Pierelli's on it when I got it, not sure of the model. From day one I found they would slide on wet roads. Not TERRIBLY, but I noticed on cloverleaf exit ramps, and round-abouts, sometimes even just taking off at a stop light.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
138 Posts
I used to run tours of the Grand Canyon, one particular day I had a retired Goodyear tire engineer and his wife and we got to talking. I asked him what tire he personally used and he responded with Michelin. I asked why, and his response blew me away. He stated that Michelin engineered better tires.
Although anecdotal evidence, I have to echo this. As far as performance tires go, Micheline is really above the competition. I have them on three of my cars (various models, sizes, etc) and they've been great, even when really pushed to the limits.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,448 Posts
I just installed Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV (summer tire) in 225/60-18. As a sports oriented tire it has stiffer sidewalls than the OEM tire and it thumps louder over manhole covers, but otherwise it seems quieter and smoother on normal road surfaces with quicker turn-in but I haven't really tried aggressive driving with them yet. These are summer tires with a lowish treadwear rating, but I would rather buy new tires that have the tread worn out in 2 years than have hard rubber that ages with lots of tread left. I have summer weather year-round here in Hawaii and our biggest weather-related problem is standing water even on the freeway in places.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just installed Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV (summer tire) in 225/60-18. As a sports oriented tire it has stiffer sidewalls than the OEM tire and it thumps louder over manhole covers, but otherwise it seems quieter and smoother on normal road surfaces with quicker turn-in but I haven't really tried aggressive driving with them yet. These are summer tires with a lowish treadwear rating, but I would rather buy new tires that have the tread worn out in 2 years than have hard rubber that ages with lots of tread left. I have summer weather year-round here in Hawaii and our biggest weather-related problem is standing water even on the freeway in places. View attachment 513440
Whose wheels? Lighter than OEM? I find the Outback a tad too posh compared to the Forester and was wondering about suspension mods
I may be over thinking the Tire Rack ratings. Not much statistically significant difference between a 9.0 and a 9.4 for noise.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,448 Posts
Reactions: robb12088

·
Premium Member
2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
111 Posts
Even though I just put Falken Wildpeaks on my Gen3, Michelin’s we’re on before and they were a far superior tire for road driving. My son took my wheels and tires on his 00 Outback Sedan, my son’s 05 Forrester has Michelin’s and my wife’s 2020 onyx will get Michelin’s in the fall. I only put Michelin’s on my race cars. To say I am a fan is an understatement. The Wildpeaks are the First non Michelin tires bought in 15 years.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,448 Posts
I also prefer Michelin except the Michelin Premier was terrible in my opinion. The Michelin Defender T+H is MUCH better - quieter and smoother running at least on a Honda Fit. Even brand new the Michelin Premier was meh and I was just waiting for them to wear out so I could get something else.

Reactions: ttrainor5

·
Premium Member
2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
111 Posts
Random conversation on OEM tires on brand new cars. My Discount Tire manager for 12 years told me something that I have proven myself. So in my limited study the empirical data holds true. The OEM tire will last less than the exact same tire bought on the aftermarket. To that end I bought two Michelin LTX sets. One came new in my 2016 Tundra and the next I bought at 30k when the originals wore out. I was hesitant on buying the replacements and getting only 30k miles out of them. The Discount Tire Manager told Me “buy these from me and they will last the 70k miles” I was expecting. 46k later when I sold the truck they still looked new. I don’t understand this but same thing held true on my wife’s highlander. Every new car gets between 20-30k miles out of the tires and I buy new Michelin’s. This is by no means expansive but I have two instances where it held true.

·
Registered
Green 2020 Touring XT Outback
304 Posts
Random conversation on OEM tires on brand new cars. My Discount Tire manager for 12 years told me something that I have proven myself. So in my limited study the empirical data holds true. The OEM tire will last less than the exact same tire bought on the aftermarket. To that end I bought two Michelin LTX sets. One came new in my 2016 Tundra and the next I bought at 30k when the originals wore out. I was hesitant on buying the replacements and getting only 30k miles out of them. The Discount Tire Manager told Me “buy these from me and they will last the 70k miles” I was expecting. 46k later when I sold the truck they still looked new. I don’t understand this but same thing held true on my wife’s highlander. Every new car gets between 20-30k miles out of the tires and I buy new Michelin’s. This is by no means expansive but I have two instances where it held true.

Got 80k out of the Michelin Latitude tours that can on my ‘12 Chevy Equinox. (Shrug).

I only by Michelins, those pilot sports or defenders seem like the ones to get for our cars.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,448 Posts
Except that Michelin doesn't make an equivalent to the Falken Wildpeak for those who go off-road.

Reactions: HeyChris

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
4,632 Posts
Except that Michelin doesn't make an equivalent to the Falken Wildpeak for those who go off-road.
I don’t think he is looking for an A/T tire though.

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5i Ltd replaced 2010 OB; 20 mm WRX rear sway bar & Michelin LXT Premier tires; replaced 2010 2.5 OB Ltd. City car is 2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Prem
462 Posts
Have tentatively settled on Pirelli CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS II, but am curious if anyone else has driven on them, or would care to offer other suggestions. Money not an issue. I'm mostly interested in quieter ride and tighter handling.
I am basing my purchase on Tire Rack ratings.
Any thoughts gratefully accepted.
I switched from Mich Premier XLTs to the Pirelli CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS II about 2,000 miles ago I was relatively happy with the XLTs except for rapid treadwear that is widely reported with them. The Pirellis equal or better in rain (at least with full tread -- one of the bennies of the XLTs is that their wet traction remains excellent right down ot 3/32 or tread), competent on snow and ice when driven sensibly, they handle very well and are OUTSTANDINGLY smooth & quiet riding. No change in my mpgs. I love 'em!

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
1,016 Posts
For those who want a high end grand touring tire for there outback/legacy the Bridgestone Turanza quiet track is highly rated. They are backordered for 6 months

·
Registered
181 Posts
I switched from Mich Premier XLTs to the Pirelli CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS II about 2,000 miles ago I was relatively happy with the XLTs except for rapid treadwear that is widely reported with them. The Pirellis equal or better in rain (at least with full tread -- one of the bennies of the XLTs is that their wet traction remains excellent right down ot 3/32 or tread), competent on snow and ice when driven sensibly, they handle very well and are OUTSTANDINGLY smooth & quiet riding. No change in my mpgs. I love 'em!
The Pirellis sound perfect for summers when the only concern is sudden thundershowers.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts