Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
631 Posts
We have Michelin Defenders on our 2011 OB Premium; very quiet tire, decent handling in snow, and great tread life. I'll probably install a set on our 2021 Touring when the factory installed tires are worn out.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
2,256 Posts
Continental Cross Contact LX25. I had the dealer put them on before I purchased the car.
That is the tire I paln to move too once my factory sneakers are worn out ( in another 10K mi). Are you happy with them? Have you had a chance to compare them to the factory ride?

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
1,044 Posts
I just installed Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV (summer tire) in 225/60-18. As a sports oriented tire it has stiffer sidewalls than the OEM tire and it thumps louder over manhole covers, but otherwise it seems quieter and smoother on normal road surfaces with quicker turn-in but I haven't really tried aggressive driving with them yet. These are summer tires with a lowish treadwear rating, but I would rather buy new tires that have the tread worn out in 2 years than have hard rubber that ages with lots of tread left. I have summer weather year-round here in Hawaii and our biggest weather-related problem is standing water even on the freeway in places. View attachment 513440
Those are what I’m looking at once my factory ones wear out (I have a dedicated winter set). I’ll have to check back in with you on wear.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,336 Posts
I am a little nervous about tire wear so in 6 months hit me and I'll take tread depth measurements. Brand new (20 miles) it's at 9/32nds.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,336 Posts
Just to add, combined with light weight wheels these tires definitely make the car feel much more athletic but not harsh, as I have found some performance tires (Bridgestone RE92, Nitto NT555, Dunlop Something, Yokohama A008) to feel hard and dead despite their high grip. All of this is subjective and the aforementioned tires were all on much sportier cars, but these will help me test the Whiteline sway bars under more lateral load than I could with the stock tires. It wouldn't be fair to good sway bars to judge them with soft sidewall tires. On the other hand any additional harshness from the bars will be unmasked.

Reactions: Duncan Heinz

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Outback XT
210 Posts
That is the tire I paln to move too once my factory sneakers are worn out ( in another 10K mi). Are you happy with them? Have you had a chance to compare them to the factory ride?
Yes I’m pleased with them. Had them on my ‘17 Outback.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Have tentatively settled on Pirelli CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS II, but am curious if anyone else has driven on them, or would care to offer other suggestions. Money not an issue. I'm mostly interested in quieter ride and tighter handling. Snow is not a concern as I'm living in Florida. Some beach driving but nothing hard core.

I upgraded my 2014 Forester Premium xt a few years back with Michelins, and was quite astonished at how much less tire noise they produced vs the the OEM tires. Although the Outback is a much better mannered vehicle, I am hearing some tire noise--maybe a little more than the old Forester, which I've been alternating driving.

I am basing my purchase on Tire Rack ratings.

Any thoughts gratefully accepted.
I just installed four Michelin Cross Climate 2 225/60R18's on my 2018 Outback Touring, again based on TireRack's ratings. Odd that we came up with different answers. Haven't put any miles on these yet so I can't opine. Snow is a minor concern here but on my old 2008 running Continental All-Season tires had no problems handling our pitiful average snow collection. They were not great on polished ice but I don't know anything short of studs that is. I certainly won't consider actual winter tires here as I never even did that when I lived in Alaska.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5L
18 Posts
Have tentatively settled on Pirelli CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS II, but am curious if anyone else has driven on them, or would care to offer other suggestions. Money not an issue. I'm mostly interested in quieter ride and tighter handling. Snow is not a concern as I'm living in Florida. Some beach driving but nothing hard core.

I upgraded my 2014 Forester Premium xt a few years back with Michelins, and was quite astonished at how much less tire noise they produced vs the the OEM tires. Although the Outback is a much better mannered vehicle, I am hearing some tire noise--maybe a little more than the old Forester, which I've been alternating driving.

I also had a lot of tire noise (old tires) and read a lot reviews before settling on the tires you picked: Cinturato AS plus 2. put them on about 2 months ago and was astonished at how much quieter they are than stock tires. Have been in the mountains and in rain with no problems, but of course Subaru all-wheel drive mitigates a lot of tire issues. In any event, I see no handling problems whatsoever. good tires.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,336 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i, 6 spd M
40 Posts
Random conversation on OEM tires on brand new cars. My Discount Tire manager for 12 years told me something that I have proven myself. So in my limited study the empirical data holds true. The OEM tire will last less than the exact same tire bought on the aftermarket. To that end I bought two Michelin LTX sets. One came new in my 2016 Tundra and the next I bought at 30k when the originals wore out. I was hesitant on buying the replacements and getting only 30k miles out of them. The Discount Tire Manager told Me “buy these from me and they will last the 70k miles” I was expecting. 46k later when I sold the truck they still looked new. I don’t understand this but same thing held true on my wife’s highlander. Every new car gets between 20-30k miles out of the tires and I buy new Michelin’s. This is by no means expansive but I have two instances where it held true.
I was able to get 65,000 miles on the Continental tires that came on my new 2015 Outback. I just replaced them with Wildpeaks, since we are going out West, and will be on a lot of backroads,

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Touring 2.5
31 Posts
I just installed four Michelin Cross Climate 2 225/60R18's on my 2018 Outback Touring, again based on TireRack's ratings. Odd that we came up with different answers. Haven't put any miles on these yet so I can't opine. Snow is a minor concern here but on my old 2008 running Continental All-Season tires had no problems handling our pitiful average snow collection. They were not great on polished ice but I don't know anything short of studs that is. I certainly won't consider actual winter tires here as I never even did that when I lived in Alaska.
I will soon replace the original Bridgestones on my 2017 Outback Touring as well as the Nokian Hakappelita R snows that I had on another set of wheels. I ski 50-60 days a year and was wondering if I could get by with the Crosslimate 2 instead of 2 separate tires. The dealer said I'd have nothing to lose by trying the CrossClimates (He knows me as a driver as he recomended and sold me tires for my 911SC). If they don't perform well enough in snow, I could always get a new set of snows. The only thing making me pause is the almost $200/tire cost of the tires. (I'd be fine with it if I could get by with a single set of tires.)

·
Registered
2019 Outback Touring 3.6R
2 Posts

I installed the Pirellis on our 2019 3.6 Touring. They have great handling in wet or dry and incredibly reduced the tire noise. Great ride, great tire. We had trouble on longer rides with the original Bridgestones that really made a racket at 55-60.

·
Registered
5 Posts

The mechanic owner of a local alignment shop, in business for 40+ yrs, says that there are only 2 tires---Michelin and all the rest.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I will soon replace the original Bridgestones on my 2017 Outback Touring as well as the Nokian Hakappelita R snows that I had on another set of wheels. I ski 50-60 days a year and was wondering if I could get by with the Crosslimate 2 instead of 2 separate tires. The dealer said I'd have nothing to lose by trying the CrossClimates (He knows me as a driver as he recomended and sold me tires for my 911SC). If they don't perform well enough in snow, I could always get a new set of snows. The only thing making me pause is the almost $200/tire cost of the tires. (I'd be fine with it if I could get by with a single set of tires.)
Put CrossClimate 2s on my ‘19 OB last fall. Had a couple 6” snows that they went through like nothing was there. Felt very stable in rain at highway speeds. No worse noise than the OEMs which was a pleasant surprise given the fairly aggressive edges of the tread.

·
Registered
12 Posts

The first thing I did with my 2021 Outback Limited XL was to swap out the Yokos for the P7's. They are okay and a leap ahead of the OEM's. Wish I opted for the Michelin's I had on my 2018 Outback.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5i Limited
145 Posts
Conti LX 25. Quiet, nice ride, and really good traction in all conditions.
I will second that. I put a set on my 2019 OB and noticed the difference over the OEM Bridgestone's immediately. They're quieter, they hug the road, great handling on wet roads, and there is a noticeable improve in gas mileage. The combination of the 19mm rear sway bar and these tires has my OB handling like it's running on rails. I couldn't be happier with this tire. My wife questioned my sanity when I replaced the Bridgestones at only 15,000 miles but, they were a horrible tire and I'm a bog fan of their heavy truck tires. As soon as she drove it for the 1st time with the Contis, she loved it.

Reactions: dovidan

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have those Pirelli's on my 2019 Outback 3.6R. They replaced some nameless Bridgestones. Pirelli's are much smoother and quieter. I believe they were the top ranked tire for this vehicle on Tire Rack.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts