Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks back, while working on a friends '05, I let the '96 idle out back to charge the battery for a couple hours ( the car hadn't moved for nearly a year) - totally forgetting that I hadn't fixed the radiator fans yet ( they keep blowing the fuse). Of course, it overheated to an extreme degree, enough to even cook the Castrol synthetic oil that was in it.

Finally realizing what a boneheaded move that was, I shut it off, convinced that I most likely now had an expensive boat anchor.

Finally changed the oil and filter today, and I'll be damned but what it still runs like a champ - and this is the second time it's had a big overheat (the first was because of a leaking water pump while I was in stop and go traffic, where even turning on the heater didn't help).

So, kudos to Subaru for the robustness of this engine!

Now, if only they would figure out what they did right with the 2.2 and incorporate it in whatever new engines they come up with.......

What are the chances that i also need to change the trans fluid - what was in the cooler should have also gotten rather hot.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,979 Posts
So, kudos to Subaru for the robustness of this engine!

Now, if only they would figure out what they did right with the 2.2 and incorporate it in whatever new engines they come up with.......

What are the chances that i also need to change the trans fluid - what was in the cooler should have also gotten rather hot.
They had a good formula for sure and went and ruined it with the entirety of the EJ25.

From the EJ25D to the EJ253. They're all motors that shouldn't have been around as long as they were. The FB25 is an improvement even when it's using oil.

Do you know what temp the trans fluid got up to?

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No clue on the trans fluid temp, but the fluid now is not a nice red, so it probably needs changing anyways - I got the car when it had 140K on it - 201K now - and who knows what maintenance it had done to it before then.

Probably time to change the diff fluids as well - no idea if they even been done!

No owners manual, so does anyone know the amount of trans fluid it takes, and if there is a filter?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm. Aparently there IS a filter, but it is inside the trans, and costs about $58! I'm betting that it has never been changed, so i may as well spring for it. Ouch! :)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Anyone have any experience with the Duralast version of this filter? It's about $20 cheaper and comes with the pan gasket ( another $28 from Subaru! )

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,335 Posts
I'd skip the particulate filter. Unless you see tons of material in the pan/fluid, I'd leave it be. Plus, the pan should be sealed with RTV rather than a gasket. Yes, one exists (just like the oil pan gasket), but ultra gray works perfectly well.

I'd just do the 4 qt. drain and fill. There's a reason they have a drain plug in the pan...

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,979 Posts
I'm going to second the leave it alone idea.

And if you insist on changing the filter just use OEM and be done with it. It's worked this long.

The latter 4EAT have a spin on filter on the side in addition to the screen. It was moved to the fender at some point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts