Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if there are any high mile 2013's out there and what problems if any you've had

My early 2013 has 91.000 kms = about 57,000 miles on now, approaching end of warranty period.

So far it uses about 1 qt oil in 10,000 kms (6000 miles) no problems except replacement head unit a while back - backup cam stopped working.

also replaced rear pads.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
That's not heavy mileage, that's a little below average in the US per year. Your car is 5 model years old, so that's 11,400 miles per year: the average is 12K miles per year in the US. You're just getting it broken in!

But, you're wondering what high-mileage cars are running into, and it seems you may have caused some confusion from the title.

The tricky thing with judging what your car will do compared to those with high mileage is the usage pattern is notably different, and how things wear will be notably different, even if the maintenance is done perfectly. To get yours to the same as a high-mileage car made at the same time, your car will be notably older before it has the same mileage. Age itself is a major factor, and causes things to fail from degradation, such as dry rot. You may not have your hoses, etc. last as many miles as a high-mileage car, as an example. Another thing to consider is how long oil goes between changes, not just in miles, but in time: with the horizontal cylinders, the head gasket has the same oil on it longer if you go 6K miles at a regular rate, versus a high-mileage car. The car with lower mileage may have the oil be more acidic/corrosive for longer, so your engine may need a new head gasket sooner in terms of miles.

All this says is: the safest comparison is your car to a car with the similar conditions (including climate/weather) and maintenance over time, but unfortunately, you may not get cars ahead of yours that are identical to compare against for lifespans, as the parts/designs change enough to make it hard to impossible to accurately compare.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agree to all of that, highest miles will probably be someone who never stops to sleep except when his next oil change is due!!!

Still nice to get a bit of an idea what others are experiencing now that theirs have more miles on than mine.

I do maintanance by the book oil and fillter by self every second 10,000 kms, and full dealer service every other 10,000.

Driving is mixed highway and local.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,359 Posts
Check/change the PCV. Might help with that little bit of oil consumption. Not that I consider 1 quart/6000 miles excessive by any means.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6r Limited
165 Posts
I've got a 2013 6mt with 95,000 miles. Was an oil-burner and had P420 code. Subaru replaced engine and cat converters at 65,000 under warranty. Haven't needed to ad a drop of oil since! Other than brake pads/rotors at 62,000, tires at 52,000, and rear bearing/hubs at 95,000, the car has only needed routine maintenance (oil changes, plugs at 60k, etc).

Car is now running perfectly. I expect to keep it for another 2 years until I hit 150,000.

I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,435 Posts
My '13 also has just under 60k miles.

Problems that I can remember having:
Sunglasses door latch fell apart, dealer replaced it free, even though it was out of warranty. There is at least one thread that describes how to get a new latch and how to replace it.

Maintenance items:
Brakes were worn to the point I replaced them on all four corners. They had enough life left in them for maybe another 6 months, but the timing worked out for me better to replace them now than to wait.

New tires.

No oil burning.

Problems I have now that I need to get on top of:
The parking brake "BRAKE" light flashes on my instrument panel...sometimes. It appears as though there is a sensor that can tell of the brake has been completely released and will flash the BRAKE light if it isn't happy. This has been happening for a couple of weeks now, and happens about once every 2-3 days. The remedy for me is to stop, engage the parking brake, then release it again. A couple days ago I had to repeat this 3-4 times until the BRAKE light finally went off. I hope it's an easy (cheap) adjustment. I haven't had time yet to stop by the dealer and talk with them about it, maybe tomorrow.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 109K, 2/20.
452 Posts
'11 with 88K. Brake pads at 55-60K MILES. Tires at some point. Wiper blades periodically. Washing and waxing once in a while. And yes oil and filters at the recommended intervals and no sooner. Except for the back up camera that gets wet and ceases working until it dries out I have NO complaints about durability. (There was some water intrusion around the high brake light but a dab of silicone fixed that issue.) I'd get another one except I don't need to! Besides I have more available funds for my other vehicles.

Reactions: Odin09

·
Registered
2013 Ouback 3.6R Limited
38 Posts
Problems I have now that I need to get on top of:
The parking brake "BRAKE" light flashes on my instrument panel...sometimes. It appears as though there is a sensor that can tell of the brake has been completely released and will flash the BRAKE light if it isn't happy. This has been happening for a couple of weeks now, and happens about once every 2-3 days. The remedy for me is to stop, engage the parking brake, then release it again. A couple days ago I had to repeat this 3-4 times until the BRAKE light finally went off. I hope it's an easy (cheap) adjustment. I haven't had time yet to stop by the dealer and talk with them about it, maybe tomorrow.
I am guessing you have but have you checked brake fluid level? I wonder if it is a little low but only triggering the sensor occasionally?

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,435 Posts
I am guessing you have but have you checked brake fluid level? I wonder if it is a little low but only triggering the sensor occasionally?
Fluid level is good. It's a parking brake problem and I think that's all mechanical and doesn't use any hydraulics. It sure seems like it's a sensor that tells the system the brake is fully released. I just haven't had the time to get it checked. It is starting to happen a little more often, but it is simple to clear by cycling the parking brake. I hope it's a simple adjustment and not one of those, "Sir, this symptom is caused by a faulty e-brake module. That will be $800. Please help yourself to a complimentary cup of coffee in our waiting area."

·
Registered
2021 Outback 2.5i Premium
510 Posts
My 2013 2.5 just passed 72,000 miles.

Inside the 36k warranty period I had:

The sunglasses holder latch break. Fixed by dealer.

The 3rd eye brake light water leak into the cargo compartment. Fixed by dealer.

A rattling/popping sound from the right rear when going over "bumps". Fixed by a Subaru Technical Service Bulletin.

I've had the windshield wiper recall performed by the dealer.

My last 2years/36,000 miles have been trouble free. I am still enjoying the car immensely for its combination of on-road and off-road ability.

I just got my letter from Subaru extending the CVT warranty to 100,000 miles, so that's a good thing. I was on the fence about having a fluid change, this buys me some time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased my 2013 Outback 2.5 NEW in June 2013. My daily driver to work.......about 40 miles each way. Today, the mileage is at 101,250. I performed much of the routine maintenance, such as oil changes, filter changes (air/oil/pollen). I've had the brake pads changed and replaced the tires. Complaints/problems: none, well maybe one. Those headlamp bulbs.....what a pain to replace. Oil consumption: about 1 quart between oil changes (every7,500 miles). I want to change the gearbox oil and transmission oil; however, the owners manual doesn't show a mileage to replace. Better to do or leave alone........
Would like to upgrade my stereo with speakers and swap out the horns with more volume horns. Fun car to drive in the snow :grin2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 80k miles on my 14 the oil consumption hasn't gotten worse about a quart every 6k which is what it was to begin with if that helps

·
Registered
2016 Outback Slate Gray 3.6R Limited w/ Eyesight
50 Posts
I have a 2012 6MT Premium. I bought it used with 35k on it last may, then proceeded to beat the snot out of it for 23k miles in one year. now she has 66k miles on her.

Oil changes were done between 7000-7500 miles then i just did brake fluid flush and spark plugs at 65k miles. I use her for towing and and the clutch handles the weight just fine. The brakes not so much. I guess up in Canada you don't do as much driving.

·
Registered
2014 Outback White 2.5 with 133,000 miles and still going.
9 Posts
I have a 2014 with 133,xxx miles so far I've had the passenger rear wheelbearing go bad at 114,xxx miles and the A/C just stopped working after I helped jumpstart a car. It does not drink oil that much. I have the oil changed around 6,000 miles and if I wait a little longer I'll have to add a quart sometimes. The front brakes are starting to make a noise sometimes so I'm sure I'll be changing them soon and the tires will need to be changed most likely early next year.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i Limited (SAP)
7 Posts
2014 with 110k on it. 100 mile round trip commute every day. No problems. Only replaced tires, bulbs, filters, and the like. All consumables.

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,537 Posts
I got my '13 in February '13. It has almost 95k miles on it. Other than normal maintenance such as tires and brakes, I haven't repaired anything yet.

However, I am taking it in tomorrow for the follow-up check to the oil consumption test, and based upon what I see on the dipstick, I'm expecting it to fail, and will be getting a new block soon. It used to use about 36 oz per 7500 mile oil change interval. But the last oil change, it has gotten much worse. We will find out tomorrow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
'13 with 65k miles. Just normal maintenance and whatever recalls come up. Mine consumes oil as well but not at the rate that Subaru will do further work on it - crossing my fingers that all is well with that and keep oil to add periodically.

·
Registered
11 Posts
almost forgot...Subaru Eyesight sometimes seems a bit wonky -chirping when there are clearly no obstacles in the way... a few times where I've been nervous that the car will slam on brakes for no good reason.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts