Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Today I looked at a 2008 Outback 3.0 LLB Edition with pretty high miles (240,000). I am wondering if anyone has experience with these engines and transmissions at such high mileage. I love the Gen 3 Outbacks, I have a 2005 with 175k on the clock right now and aside from the normal issues (Head Gaskets, Suspension) its been a great car. I am just looking for something a little nicer for longer trips that will take me through the winter, as the 2005 is modified (in ways that don't fit New England winters) and rust free and I'd like to keep it that way.

Does anyone know of common issues with these engines and transmissions? Also, is there anything on the body that I should look into more on the LLB edition? It seems the sunroof doesn't leak, and Ive already checked the common places for issues that I know of from my 2005.

At just above 2k this is a car that is surprisingly hard to pass up considering the mileage. Im just wondering really how long I can expect out of it.

Thanks,
Jake

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Two things with the late 3.0:

1. Give it some premium fuel. You don't have to, but try it. Most owners like the difference.

2. Check/replace the idler pulley bearings on the accessory serpentine belt. They don't last, but they're cheap and easy to replace.

One guy on this board has his past 400k.

·
Registered
06 3.0R JDM facelift SI Drive-shift paddles. 87 Brumby EA81 (Brat) 4MT D/R
613 Posts
Longevity is mainly dependent on previous / present owners following recommendations in owners / service manual.
ie (in performing basic care, servicing etc at the required intervals)

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,612 Posts
^^^ what he said

the older a car is, the less important it's brand or model and the more important it's prior care and present condition become.

before I would trust ANY 240K miles car to a cross-country trip, I'd pay a GOOD shop to thoroughly inspect it. You have may chance to have that done before purchase. Use any minor/moderate problems found to negotiate a better price. If something major is found - consider the inspection fee money well spent - you weren't stranded at the side of the road in the rain 100s of miles from home.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
All about the service or lack there of.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Synthetic fluid and changed on time?
That said - you'll be probably wondering that on most cheap Subarus like this.

1. replace serpentine pulley bearings immediately. $10 each and 30-60 minutes, super easy. No way they should be ignored and then replace every 60k afterwards.

If you replaced the starter, alternator, and fuel pump with new Subaru OEM units it would have a really good chance of making 300k reliably if it's been reasonably maintained.

The main concern is failures that will leave you stranded - those are your main concerns for that.

The problem is those units are really expensive, not readily available for H6's, and the aftermarket units suck, they aren't reliable. at a quarter million miles you're stumbling into a range where failure would not be surprising on those.

Used, lower mileage ones are an alternative option. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

1 - 6 of 6 Posts