Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the forum, but not new to forums. I come from many years on thenewx...Xterra forum. On to the question..

I am looking at 2nd gen Outbacks and found a high mileage (180k) '02 OBH6 with all the fixin's (including VDC, I believe). They are asking 5.5k, but I have no intention of paying close to that. (The ex/int look GREAT)

How is the reliability of the 3.0? I've read that the timing chain guides(?) need replaced often and the bearing for the serp belt. Is there anything I should be really concerned about with that much mileage? Would you hesitate buying one with mileage like that?

Living in Colorado, it seems almost everything thing around here is at least 150k+ miles. Since everyone is asking $4500+ I assume these truely are tanks that will run with good maintenance. Any input for a Suby noob?

Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
The H6's are known to be very reliable high mileage cars. I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage. Check the rear quarter panels and wheel wells for rust and see if there's a service history (Head gaskets are a known issue, but mainly with the H4's the H6's are better in this regard). Other than that, it sounds like a good car. I'm not american though, so I can't comment on the asking price.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
H6 isn't known for HG issues at all by the way.

The old H6 does need premium fuel in heavy load situations ie high speed long road trips - mountain driving - towing etc. Low stress stuff it runs on regular gas just fine.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Mileage isn't stellar don't expect to get 25+mpg for daily around town use more like 25+mpg for highway on cruise control 70mph and under.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I bought my '01 VDC H6 with 225,000 on it. It's in great shape, and was very well cared for by the previous owner who put 214,000 of those miles on it. I paid $3,300 at a dealer, which is very fair around here.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey Blue Leader another Colorado resident here. I have a 2002 H6 with 165,000 on it. My nephew is a mechanic and said there is no problems with H6 except normal wear and tear. I'm getting 24 miles to the gallon combined driving and I never use premium gas. I paid $5,000.00 for it. 1 owner with very good history on it. :29:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice, thanks for the replys. Supposedly the vehichle lived in Alabama for its first 145k. Then moved to Iowa for the next 40k. 2 owner. No maint history sadly, but if it looks as clean as it does, they didn't seem to abuse the thing.

How in depth of a pre-sale inspection should I get? Sounds like maybe just visual inspection and fluids?

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
The '00-'04 H6 has head gasket problems about as often as any other car not know for the issue, for example counting the 2 subaru forums I have been on for a for years now there are maybe 3 cases.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh I know about the rust. I'm from Iowa originally. Going back for Thanksgiving and looking at cars while there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Another Iowa person here originally also. What part of Iowa you from? Enjoy your holiday there and hopefully no big storms while there.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I just took a 300 mile trip today, and I'm excited to report my VDC achieved 27.4 MPG. It wasn't open highway, either. Speeds anywhere between 45 - 70, with 55 being at least half, and plenty of mountains and some stop-and-go. There was at least one full-throttle burst merging onto the interstate. Gas used is 89 octane.

The same trip in my former '05 AWD Saturn Vue Red Line barely broke 25 MPG. So, this makes me very happy. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I got my 03 LL Bean H6 with 163K miles on the odometer and have had it for a year and 3/4s and now have almost 194K miles.

The only issues that I've had are oil leaks at the valve covers (which I have been putting off) and had both front 02 sensors go bad.

Other than that, 30K miles in about 22 months and it has treated me great.
I normally use regular and did a test of two tankloads of premium and did not notice a difference in power or gas mileage but I'm sure it could be different with another H6.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The '00-'04 H6 has head gasket problems about as often as any other car not know for the issue, for example counting the 2 subaru forums I have been on for a for years now there are maybe 3 cases.
There are a few more on SB9T, for both 3.0 and 3.6 l engines.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update! Well the vdc model I looked at had a bunch of small things wrong with it. (blown mcintosh, extreme wind noise, rougher body that I originally thought, 2 new tires, 2 bald).

I ended up finding a 03 ll bean h6, 157k, new tires, great condition, just a few small rust spots. Got it for $4600. Not bad I thought...though I don't like the gold color..:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
12 Participants
Blue Leader
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing