Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I recently got a 2000 Subaru Outback that has 220,000 miles on it. I am not all that familiar with Subaru's, so I'm here to ask for a bit of advice. Are there any common problems with high mileage Outback to look, and is there any maintenance that is recommended to keep this car running? I have already replaced the radiator and alternator.

Thank you in advance for the advice!

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,371 Posts
1st: no service records = it didn't happen.

Full timing component kit ASAP. Due every 105,000 miles or 105 months, whichever comes first. AISIN makes a good kit with waterpump. Broke belt = broke engine. These are interference engines.

Check all fluids. Replace as needed. Power Steering and ATF take plain old Dex III. Diffs are 75w90 GL5 rated oil.

Plug a spark plug. Is it NGK or Denso? If not, make it so. Are the plug wires NGK, Denso, or Subaru? If not, make them. Was the plug coated in oil? Valve cover gaskets time.

Check/change PCV.

Do all tires match in wear/brand/etc? They should or it is bad.

Reactions: Davee3

·
Registered
Outback 2.5 SE LPG Converted Non-Turbo 2006 56 Plate
22 Posts
As above, might be a good idea to change the oil pump as well.
I have a high mileage one too and they seem to go on forever.
Mine burns around 1L of oil per 1000 miles though which is 'apparently' common.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Extreme Cold or Heat

2009 Outback H4 Timing belt at 125,000 KM or wait?
I would like to see it done next spring with another 5- 8000Km as I am miles (kilometres!) from anyone who will do it . What is worse for belts - extreme heat or extreme cold? Static rubber parts last very well in extreme cold but timing belts?? Some parts shrink in the cold :wink2:

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,371 Posts
I would like to see it done next spring with another 5- 8000Km as I am miles (kilometres!) from anyone who will do it . What is worse for belts - extreme heat or extreme cold? Static rubber parts last very well in extreme cold but timing belts?? Some parts shrink in the cold :wink2:
When was the car built/on the road? 105 months is 8.75 years, so you're close to the age limit.
I would have it replaced along with the idlers and tensioner to be safe rather than sorry.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
another 5- 8000Km as I am miles (kilometres!) from anyone who will do it
if you're far from anyone that will do it, then there's not much of a question is it?

The lower timing sprocket (toothed idler) is more likely to fail than the belt. It will fail and take the belt out with it. Newer timing belts are very robust and can withstand quite a few miles. the pulleys, particularly that one i mentinoed, and tensioner are just as weak, if not weaker links.

replace belt, pulleys, and tensioner.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Durability of timing belts

This would be the third belt - it was done 125,000 km ago in late 2010 = 84 months Car is now at 201,000 km & generally healthy except passenger side heat output low - 40 degrees less than drivers side. Fighting this one with a flush right now - Prestone in 200 km ago & no better yet

When was the car built/on the road? 105 months is 8.75 years, so you're close to the age limit.
I would have it replaced along with the idlers and tensioner to be safe rather than sorry.

·
Registered
80 Posts
--This is a real answer? Anyone else replace lower timing sprocket ?

if you're far from anyone that will do it, then there's not much of a question is it?

The lower timing sprocket (toothed idler) is more likely to fail than the belt.{Never heard of anyone changing more than the tensioner!!} It will fail and take the belt out with it. Newer timing belts are very robust and can withstand quite a few miles. the pulleys, particularly that one i mentinoed, and tensioner are just as weak, if not weaker links.

replace belt, pulleys, and tensioner.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
This would be the third belt - it was done 125,000 km ago in late 2010 = 84 months Car is now at 201,000 km & generally healthy except passenger side heat output low - 40 degrees less than drivers side. Fighting this one with a flush right now - Prestone in 200 km ago & no better yet
If you're at 84 months/125k kms on the belt, you *should* be OK until next spring. The service limit is 160k kms.

Since you're on belt #2, did you just change the belt 125k kms ago?

And out of curiosity, why did you do the timing belt at 75k kms?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
You absolutely should change the tensioner and pulleys... the labor to get to the part is already done, and you'd also lose the engine if any of those parts failed.

You might also want to look into replacing the thermostat and waterpump too while you're down there. Go OEM.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes done at 75k kms as worried about reaction to severe cold regularly -40F over several winters I never saw the belt which was removed - should have asked for it

If you're at 84 months/125k kms on the belt, you *should* be OK until next spring. The service limit is 160k kms.

Since you're on belt #2, did you just change the belt 125k kms ago?

And out of curiosity, why did you do the timing belt at 75k kms?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Yes done at 75k kms as worried about reaction to severe cold regularly -40F over several winters I never saw the belt which was removed - should have asked for it
Just the belt? What about the pulleys and tensioner?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts