Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added some auxiliary lights to my 2005 OBXT Limited. I have a lot of gadgets plugged into it already. With Four 55watt H3 bults in addition to the normal lights, I think I should go ahead and get a higher wattage alternator. I don't think i need anything too crazy, but enough to slow the battery drain.

This seems like an attractive price vs wattage.
160 AMP HIGH OUTPUT ALTERNATOR SUBARU OUTBACK IMPREZA WRX STI LEGACY : Amazon.com : Automotive

Any thoughts? Advice?

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
Link doesn't work!!

In general an aftermarket unit will only make more power above idle. In some cases it will make less power than the original at idle. Generally I would suggest looking into a unit from an upper model, but I don't know if you have the option with your XT. Do you have any issues with dimming or keeping the battery charged currently? If the electrical system is up to snuff you might not need it. If the battery is in good condition and you don't have a habit of discharging it you might not need it. The main killer for most alternators is a weak battery where the alternator will have to overwork to keep things topped off.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback Premium | 2007 Outback 2.5i
339 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,468 Posts
You can just go with a higher amperage battery. If you go with a higher amperage alternator, you will still need a larger battery and upsize the battery positive cable from the alternator to the battery.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
383 Posts
Just something to consider, power isn't free. A higher output alterator will reduce your mileage a touch, depending on your draw. higher amperage battery would be the first change, and if you are having drainage issues/dimming then look at an HO alteranator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts