Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else notice a whistling noise when accelerating? I have a 2016 2.5 outback limited and I've noticed sometimes when I start the car and drive there seems to be some kind of whistle when i accelerate. The harder i accelerate, the louder the whistle noise becomes. Other times I start the car and I hear no noise whatsoever. Just seeing if anyone else has a whistle from theirs and they have found out what it is.

·
Registered
2016 Limited 2.5 silver Eyesight
1,221 Posts
No whistling sound for me but have a "Empty bottle clinking " sound when putting into reverse, most pronounced when backing out of garage. I take as a quirk of the cvt. Have a 16 limited too.

Could it be a belt sound or power steering pump sound? Sort of unlikely being brand new.

Wmdpowell

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have exactly the same problem on my 2016 outback limited only 1000 miles. The problem is more prominent when whether is warmer. I went to dealership, they said it's belt problem. They tried to fix it, but the they couldn't. They said they will need order the belt and replace the belt. I am a bit suspicious whether it's really the belt problem. Sometimes it sounds like a rattle noise. I am still waiting for dealer's call.

·
Registered
'15 Outback Premium
167 Posts
I also had a high pitch whistling noise but only heard it at idle. It ended up being a bad water pump. It was promptly replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Ltd.
54 Posts
Only issue I had with my 2016 was in October when it was only 2 weeks old. Chirping sound from the front but only after car warmed up for half an hour and only while accelerating between 1500 and 2000 rpm. Was able to duplicate for the dealer, they ordered belt, replaced it next week and problem gone since then. The serpentine belt I believe it was.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,994 Posts
I've heard something possibly similar, but I wouldn't consider mine to be particularly "high pitched". High-er pitched, yes. Like someone cheering wooooooooo (ascending with RPM) as I accelerate. I first noticed it this winter, always within 15-20 minutes of starting my drive, and always under fairly strong acceleration. I commute on a 50MPH highway with lots of lights, so lots of stop-and-go. Anyway, with the vehicle well warmed up, I've never noticed it. Chalked up to a cold condition.

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
4,983 Posts
Could be the filter box isn't closed properly. Try opening it, taking the filter out, check for any pinches where it might not have been installed correctly.
Put it back in and close the box properly. You'll know the next time you drive.
I've had this happen a few times over the years with many cars, and the sound would drive me crazy, until I figured it out.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ EyeSight
283 Posts
Hate to bump this oldie.

I have the noise as well. 2016 Outback 3.6R Limited. 35,xxx miles. I’ll check the air filter. The car is mint and I did purchase the 6 year, 72,000 mile warranty.

I’ve had it since Friday, June 28th so I am still getting used to it. I was thinking the noise was related to the CVT. But reading this thread is making me believe otherwise.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ EyeSight
283 Posts
Bump for my update.

I took mine into the dealer today for diagnosis. My complaint: high pitched whirly noise while vehicle is in movement with the accelerator pedal depressed. Noise ceases when foot is off the accelerator pedal.

The technician verified that there is a noise coming from the CVT, however it is fully functional and working as designed.

I will be keeping any ear on it for any changes It’s documented and that’s all I really cared about.

Annoying stuff:
It drove me nuts trying to find an actual video on YouTube that wasn’t an idiot referring to the CVT as the “CVT Transmission” on his POS Nissan Altima, 25 minutes or longer in poor video and sound quality or just click bait crap NOT related to the search. This is why I took it in for diagnosing.

YouTube is a toilet for specific searches sometimes. Rofl.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Can you provide any additional updates to this post? My 2013 OB started making a similar sound about 3 weeks ago after using the paddle shifter to downshift to a stop (gentle stop). Has the issue been resolved or still on going? Has SOA done anything to support you?

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,994 Posts
Done anything to support what? A little CVT whine? What "support" could they possibly offer?

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Limited
40 Posts
Coin flip depending on whether they changed this in the updated model, but my 2011 Subaru Outback makes a squeal (whee) noise that's in tune with RPM range of the engine... wait for it.. when I use the AUX audio output. The sound goes away when switched to FM/CD mode. Seems it is an issue related to electrical interference and may just be an artifact of the circuit design.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Coin flip depending on whether they changed this in the updated model, but my 2011 Subaru Outback makes a squeal (whee) noise that's in tune with RPM range of the engine... wait for it.. when I use the AUX audio output. The sound goes away when switched to FM/CD mode. Seems it is an issue related to electrical interference and may just be an artifact of the circuit design.
Are you running non-resistor spark plugs? Resistor plugs cut the RF interference so it doesn't affect your radio. May also want to put a coil at your power input. Is it the stock head unit?

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Limited
40 Posts
Are you running non-resistor spark plugs? Resistor plugs cut the RF interference so it doesn't affect your radio. May also want to put a coil at your power input. Is it the stock head unit?
Not familiar if it's a resistor or non-resistor set of spark plugs but they are NGK iridium with OEM spec as far as I'm aware. It's the stock head unit.

I'm not particularly bothered by the noise since it's only noticeable when there's no input playing, just figured I'm mention it in case others have the same experience.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,994 Posts
Turns out the support, is a rebuilt/remanufactured transmission. The “whine” is an issue with an internal chain in the CVT according to Subaru service tech.
Then I'm quite confident that your "whine" is unrelated to what I've noticed in cold weather (there was at least one, possibly 2 other threads on this topic where I found agreement with my description, so it may be fairly common, just not something everyone notices since it's not very loud). Unfortunately, the OP never returned to provide more details of exactly what he was hearing, so who knows. I'm sure there are "high pitched" or "whine" noises that could signal CVT failure, but any verbal description is vague at best, we need a recording.

I'm familiar with that one from older vehicles - interference bleeding into the audio system. That's definitely not what I'm hearing.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,002 Posts
Nothin' here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts