Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback LL Bean Wagon 225,000 miles H6
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cannot find my original post so reposting. I have a newly acquired 2005 Outback LL Bean wagon with 225,000 miles. Just noticed a horrible high-piched chirp coming from either the rear wheels or rear differential only when backing up. Touching brakes has no effect. It literally sounds like a couple of seagulls chirping. Just got the car from a dealer and original owner babied the car---I saw the records. Any thoughts?? Quick diagnostics?? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,435 Posts
Probably brake related. It may well be the parking brake if the use of the road brakes doesn't affect the noise condition.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am pretty sure that is your brakes saying they need attention. I know there is a fitting of sorts that is supposed to make noise when in reverse if the pads are done in.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2000 and I replaced the rear brake caliper slides. You may be able to get away with just re-greasing them. While you're there, check your pads. Sometimes the inside ones wear a bit faster than the outside and you can't see them while the wheels are on. Perhaps one of the low pad indicators is touching the rotor on the inside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts