Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback Limited, 2.5i
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just picked up my first Subaru, an 12' OB Limited. Everything is doing great and I love the car, but on on my first road trip the other day I attempted to use the hill assist. I stopped on a hill, engaged the hill assist and let my foot off the brake and still rolled backwards. I tried this several times and same results. Any help? Am I doing this wrong? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
401 Posts
As I understand it the Hill Assist is nothing more than the emergency brake which will disengage automatically when you hit the accelerator. I have used mine a couple of times and FWIW I found it much simpler to just use my left foot on the brake and right foot on the accelerator rather than fumbling for the button...

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
After activating the Hill Holder, did the Brake Light illuminate/engage?
There is a minimum condition, was there enough slope?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After activating the Hill Holder, did the Brake Light illuminate/engage?
There is a minimum condition, was there enough slope?
the hill assist light did engage and the hill was far enough slope. I did not notice a little resistance when I let off the brake but I could tell it wasnt working.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
You should have passed the Holder conditions in your test.
You were stopped fully (no rolling) when you engaged the switch? You did not use the Elec-Brake at any time?<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
I stopped on a hill, engaged the hill assist and let my foot off the brake ...
I find that sequence unreliable. Try engaging the hill assist before
coming to a stop. I turn mine on immediately after starting the
engine, and leave it on while driving (or until I wish to disable it).

If you'd prefer to engage it only "on demand," don't bother with
the hill assist -- just use the e-brake.

...in either case, don't forget to buckle-up,

Looby

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Hey guys, I just picked up my first Subaru, an 12' OB Limited. Everything is doing great and I love the car, but on on my first road trip the other day I attempted to use the hill assist. I stopped on a hill, engaged the hill assist and let my foot off the brake and still rolled backwards. I tried this several times and same results. Any help? Am I doing this wrong? Thanks for your help
Make sure the hill holder green indicator is on before you come to the hill- it will then activate when you come to a full stop. You can simply press the parking brake button also if your stuck in stopped traffic unexpectedly on a hill- once you hit the gas the brake releases on its own etc. All passengers MUST HAVE THEIR seat belts on or the system will not operate.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
I second Looby's comment.

I played with the hill holder when I first got the car. I assumed it worked as you did, engage it when you need it and it works. That doesn't seem to be how it is intended. If you engage it before you stop, the car then senses the hill and engages the parking brake. If you engage it on a hill, the brake doesn't set.

Given the fact that you have to engage the Hill Holder before you'll need it, and in my area you only need it if some jerk is righ on your a$$ on a hill, I just use the parking brake as needed. It functions in the same manner regardless of whether the "hill holder" engages it or you press the brake button.

Also the Hill Holder light will light all the time, regardless of whether the brake is engaged. The actually parking brake light will light and you'll hear the brake engage when the hill holder is actually active and using the brake.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys rock! Ill try a few different things in the upcoming days. Thanks again for letting me join the Subaru family. I wont buy any other kind of car!

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6MT
546 Posts
You guys rock! Ill try a few different things in the upcoming days. Thanks again for letting me join the Subaru family. I wont buy any other kind of car!
The original mechanical hill holder of the older Subarus was much more elegant. The best thing to do is to learn how to heel toe the brake and gas and forget about it.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
The original mechanical hill holder of the older Subarus was much more elegant. The best thing to do is to learn how to heel toe the brake and gas and forget about it.
I've heard a few people mention this "heel toe" before. Do you mean to literally use your heel on one pedal and your toe on the other? Or just keep your heel on the floor as you move from gas to brake? I do the latter, but that's just normal IMO. And I've some reall beaters over that were MT and I've learned to use the clutch, brake and gas with 2 feet.. that is not normal IMO lol

edit: I googled it...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heel-and-toe
I've done that on MT cars that wouldn't idle, but I'll just use the hill holder or parking brake as needed..

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6MT
546 Posts
I've heard a few people mention this "heel toe" before. Do you mean to literally use your heel on one pedal and your toe on the other? Or just keep your heel on the floor as you move from gas to brake? I do the latter, but that's just normal IMO. And I've some reall beaters over that were MT and I've learned to use the clutch, brake and gas with 2 feet.. that is not normal IMO lol

edit: I googled it...
Heel-and-toe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I've done that on MT cars that wouldn't idle, but I'll just use the hill holder or parking brake as needed..
It is really just keeping one side of your foot on the brake and one side on the gas. I think it is called heel-toe because in the olden days, the pedals were set up such that you had to use your heel and toe. Anyhow, if you have an MT Outback and decide to take it for a track day (LOL), you should learn the technique.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Thanks Rob

The Wikipedia article explained it as such. So I guess I have learned how to Heel-Toe.. not for performance driving but to keep my POS MT cars from stalling while on a hill lol.

And I don't see my OB seeing any track days.. I took my LGT once, but it was just for fun.

·
Registered
2003 BMW M3 and 2011 Outback 2.5i Premium
131 Posts
What is weird for me, at least with the 6MT, it will sometimes do a hill hold assist w/ just the regular brakes, and not the E-brake. Seems to only happen if I am stopped, engage the hill holder, but the hill isn't quite steep enough to activate the full blown e-brake. The car holds for a second or 2 and then you feel it release the brake. Really hard to figure out when it will do it or not.

·
Registered
557 Posts
What is weird for me, at least with the 6MT, it will sometimes do a hill hold assist w/ just the regular brakes, and not the E-brake. Seems to only happen if I am stopped, engage the hill holder, but the hill isn't quite steep enough to activate the full blown e-brake. The car holds for a second or 2 and then you feel it release the brake. Really hard to figure out when it will do it or not.
i have had the same experience with my '12 manual.

i thought it would be like the old hill holder in my '05 forester but it isn't.

i guess i'll have to read the manual - lol.

joel

·
Registered
2012 Ouback 2.5 CVT
417 Posts
I'm also having a similar prob as the OP instead mine activates fine all by itself but when I get back on the gas to go it wont release the P-brake. I put my foot on the brake pedal before the gas pedal and it still won't disengage. I have to manually pull the switch to release the parking brake system. I must be missing a step or maybe the slope isn't much but then why would it activate?

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts