Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night my wife clipped a curb at speed last Friday evening. While I was then more worried about the rim itself, by morning the sidewall was bulging and the obvious was pointing to a tire. As I was not near home and was over 300 miles away I decided against the spare and opted for a tire. The car is a 2011 with about 27K on the clock, much of it highway. Being away from home I opted for a friendly face in the tire world since I was concerned about yahoos and the tire pressure sensors. My initial request for a single tire was pushed off to what I thought was a pair because of the all wheel drive on the car. I held off and tried the local dealer, but their service department was closing in an hour and couldn't help me. I was leaving town the next morning and couldn't wait around I decided to deal with Sears, figuring that they "probably" had decent mechanics and were versed in tire pressure sensors.

Cut to the chase. I was told that they would only replace ALL FOUR TIRES because of the all wheel drive and liabilities to Sears. So I had to deal with what they had in stock as well as dropping about $1200 just to get home. Should I have run the spare to get home and think about it a bit? Probably.

Has anyone been through this ringer or was I the only idiot to fall for this flim flam because I was stupid and overreacted?:confused::mad:

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
If the rim wasn't damaged (only tire) one should probably replace 2 tires with same brand and ratings; tires should be in pairs (brand and ratings). No tire shop will change just one (different brand) for liability reasons. If you have the full size spare tire (I am not ure if that is your case), then you could use that and buy just one tire to match the spare tire brand. The "spare" full size tire can, of course, be a different brand afterwards....
If the rim was damaged, I would try to get same rim on e-bay or in a junk yard.

·
Registered
557 Posts
that is unfortunate.

the benefits of AWD is great until you need to replace one or two tires.

depending on the difference of the tread depth, i do not recall the magic number, from the new tire to the existing tires you would have to purchase four new tires.

having 27k on the existing set of tires i would suspect the the difference would be to much.

the problem has to do with the transmission... search.

$!200 is quite a bit of money but i understand the situation and would rather have my wife home safely and not have to worry about a possible tranny job because of miss matched tires.

joel

·
Registered
16,295 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
I personally would have told the Sears guy in NO uncertain terms where to shove his four $300 tires, and offer to help him do it with my heavily booted foot...

You should have bought the cheapest used tire you could find that was the same circumference (not diameter) as the average of the other three, within the guidelines of that Subaru article. I did this once - it cost me $25, mounted and balanced, and it served to get me through the rest of an interrupted vacation, until I could get a proper replacement.

Another solution, which may be impossible to implement on a weekend or in smaller cities , is to locate a tire recapper who can turn the tread down on a brand new tire to match the average of the other three. Tire lathes used to be quite common, but they can be very hard to find these days.

A third solution is to buy the mounted tire as a take out and put it on yourself in a nearby parking lot (not the tire store's lot). You don't have to tell them what kind of car it is going on, therefore there will be no liability for the seller. My daughter slashed a sidewall on her OB last month and I did this. OTH the tires only had 1400 miles on them, so wear was not a factor.

Finally, if faced with a long drive on a donut spare and no used tire to substitute, just do it. Install the donut on the back for steering safety! Been there, done that! It is slow and frustrating, but entirely doable. Stay off the Interstate unless 100% unavoidable. Since you are in the Northeast, this is entirely practical, unlike some Western areas where you must drive on the Interstate..

I carry a full sized spare so this scenario is now a non-issue for me. I hope you learned your lesson and will also purchase one.

I am very sorry to hear of your experience. I know it made your trip extremely unpleasant and costly.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was figuring out the total cost and the related additions. We have a fee for $8 per stem for new stems, an overlooked item on my part. Install TPMS maint kit, each at $3 X 4. Road hazard that I allowed myself to get talked into at $25 per tire, balancing at $15 each tire disposal of the old units $2.5 X 4. Right there I see a few hundred and I don't recall what the alignment cost.

We can have all the Monday morning quarterbacking on this we want, and I've done quite a bit myself, but as I said I was far from home and it was a weekend. In hindsight I SHOULD have driven home on the spare and had more time to think about it but I didn't. I could have bought tires from Tire Rack and had my local guy install them but that didn't happen.:(

The upside is I won't be needing new tires anytime soon as long as my wife stays off the curbs!:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
patchelect
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing