Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter went down to the hardware store for me, and came back with the part I needed and also a crunched in right front door. Somebody nailed it in the parking lot and drove away, no note on the windshield and no attempt to find the driver of the car they hit.... Since the car was parked right in front of the main door of the store, I went back and asked if they have a security camera or if anyone witnessed the collision, but no luck.

So, the damage is appraised at US$2051, and this includes a used door shell. I assume the shop would strip all the parts off my door and install them in the old one, but I'm not sure since I have never dealt with used parts for a collision repair.

Are there any risks to installing used vs new, and what would be the cost difference? I might pay the difference to get a new part. If I go with used, should I insist that they find a Newport Blue door so that matching the exterior paint will be easier and the unseen areas won't be some vastly different color?

My XT only has 34,000 miles on it, so I am hesitant to put on an old door that might have gone 200,000 miles. Am I being silly?

BTW, I plan to have the repair done by a very good local shop that has done several collision repairs for me to my 100% satisfaction. They really don't like using used parts, so it will be interesting to see how this works out between them, Safeco, and my wallet.

Thanks for any comments.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
No security footage? You're sure they weren't just being lazy?

My wallet got stolen off a counter at the old video rental store that used to be by the Albertson's on 57th St in Spokane. Said they couldn't see anything on the video. Only when I called the police in front of them did they start to actually backpedal on their original statement. An hour later they had the name of the guy and everything.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Used doors might be preferable since it is a genuine Subaru part. The only parts on doors that wear out is the hinges, lock and window motor.
All will be swapped over from your door to the used one.
Lots of new collision parts are made in China and have quality and fitment issues.
The door will be painted bare before it is installed on your car. There should not be a detectible difference in paint quality.
BTW, I always park way out in deserted areas of parking lots to prevent this kind of issue. The long walk to the store is also good for me.

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've done a ton of business with them and I expect that if they had a camera they would have told me. They are always extra helpful.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lots of new collision parts are made in China and have quality and fitment issues.
BTW, I always park way out in deserted areas of parking lots to prevent this kind of issue. The long walk to the store is also good for me.
OK, I guess used would be OK, I don't want a substandard replacement.

I always park a long way away, but my daughter hasn't learned that lesson yet. Hopefully this incident will reinforce what I have been saying.... If she had any sort of income I would make her pay the deductible. But she's just a poor college kid, and I am footing the bills.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts

My wallet got stolen off a counter at the old video rental store that used to be by the Albertson's on 57th St in Spokane. Said they couldn't see anything on the video. Only when I called the police in front of them did they start to actually backpedal on their original statement. An hour later they had the name of the guy and everything.
Don't be too surprised. I used to work at a very large electronics retailer who had no security cameras whatsoever in most of their 1500+ stores (with very few exceptions). To this day they've still got none, and most of the stores don't even have fake domes up. Whenever a customer ran through the fire escape with a big ticket item, the police would just laugh when we said we had no cameras.

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
Don't be too surprised. I used to work at a very large electronics retailer who had no security cameras whatsoever in most of their 1500+ stores (with very few exceptions). To this day they've still got none, and most of the stores don't even have fake domes up. Whenever a customer ran through the fire escape with a big ticket item, the police would just laugh when we said we had no cameras.
I know of a guy who had his car hit at a quick shop that absolutley has cameras. Whe he asked to see the footage they laughed at him and said only if the police came with a warrent would the release the footage. They sited the privacy concerns of the other customers as the reason.

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
I can understand not wanting a substandard replacement, but there aren't really any body rust or quality issues with that model. Also keep in mind that miles don't really mess up body parts, age does that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts