Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I want to get a hitch on my 2011 outback and a hitch mount bike rack.

... I found a pretty good deal on a used Thule 4 bike 956 or 957. It has a 1.25 hitch and comes with an adapter for a 2 inch hitch. Is it ok to use the adapter?

...What size hitch? I don't own a trailer and have never needed to pull one. Im not sure whether to get the 1.25 or 2 inch. The primary purpose is for the Thule 1.25 rack with 2 inch adapter sleeve. I am inclined toward 2 inch so I have more options, but do not need it today.

What brand of hitch? I found a cheap 2 inch one on eBay but I don't know yet bout 2 inch, or cheap. Are these hard to install?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2 inch hitch on our big honking '03 Envoy XL and I am thinking of putting a 2 inch hitch on my '13 Outback too. The 1 1/4s are fine for most applications but I think the 2 inch is certainly the most versatile and is more stable.

I've read that the hitches can be installed by the average Joe, but I think I will leave it to the pros if/when I do it.

I've heard good things about Curt and Draw-Tite.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a Curt 2-incher, and it looks good. Installed it myself less than 2-weeks ago.

After debating whether it should be installed from the local garage versus installing it myself, I decided to install it myself. It was my first DIY on the Outback. Was a little leery at first, but it felt so good to tighten the last bolt myself, rather than watch someone else do it.:29:

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
4 Participants
TailFin
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing