Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
09 ob 2.5i special edition
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows if installing a hitch would void your warranty. Further, I was contemplating charging my rv battery thru my car when driving. I understand this is done thru the alternator and wonder if this will affect my warranty.:confused:

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
First off a warranty is very hard to void and abuse is generally easy to identify. Given the popularity of hitch mounted bike racks from every car be it a Miata to a F350 - no you cannot void your warranty by installing a hitch unless you cut the frame and damage the car when your installing the hitch.

Why would you charge your cars small battery from your RV? The largest issue with charging a small car battery with anything beyond the car is cooking the battery. If your using the car on a regular basis there would be no reason to do this.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
First off a warranty is very hard to void and abuse is generally easy to identify. Given the popularity of hitch mounted bike racks from every car be it a Miata to a F350 - no you cannot void your warranty by installing a hitch unless you cut the frame and damage the car when your installing the hitch.

Why would you charge your cars small battery from your RV? The largest issue with charging a small car battery with anything beyond the car is cooking the battery. If your using the car on a regular basis there would be no reason to do this.
Subie, If i read what was stated you got the last part backwards: He wants to charge an extra battery off the cars power.

Kay:
There are many ways to accomplish this. The easiest and least invasive would be to buy a charger for the battery that will plug into one of the outlets in your car.

It's important to understand it's really hard to fully "void" a cars warranty. If you start cutting and hacking wires and have a fire or repair needed they may deny a warranty claim because of damage or abuse. But if the wheel falls off because of a suspension issue they can't deny the repair because you cut an electrical wire. If what you did causes damage, then they can deny the claim.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Subie, If i read what was stated you got the last part backwards: He wants to charge an extra battery off the cars power.

Kay:
There are many ways to accomplish this. The easiest and least invasive would be to buy a charger for the battery that will plug into one of the outlets in your car.

It's important to understand it's really hard to fully "void" a cars warranty. If you start cutting and hacking wires and have a fire or repair needed they may deny a warranty claim because of damage or abuse. But if the wheel falls off because of a suspension issue they can't deny the repair because you cut an electrical wire. If what you did causes damage, then they can deny the claim.
Sorry your right working and doing forum stuff doesn't mix some times ;-)

The issue with charging say a battery in the tent trailer your towing with the SUBARU is that the subaru electrical system is very light and really only designed to charge one battery and supply a limited amount of extra power for passenger use charging cellphones running GPS etc etc. Also you would probably need to drive or run the car a pretty long time for the car to actually charge the RV battery and handle the standard loads the car has regarding power etc.

The best answer to this is to simply charge the RV battery at home on a standard battery charger before you leave - and then have a simple solar panel charger on the RV when its parked or even moving etc. Solar is pretty impressive when you do it right! We power all sorts of Navigation systems - auto pilots and running lights on racing sailboats using a couple of pretty simple solar panels all the time. One caution about solar panels - they supply power even when you don't need it - so having a good system is important given you can actually cook a battery with solar power especially on an RV where it might sit parked unused for a long period yet your solar panels are still pumping juice into the battery or batteries etc. This happens on boats all the time by the way.

·
Registered
09 ob 2.5i special edition
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
it is just a simple hidden hitch attached only with bolts supplied, so no cutting etc. I'm definately looking at solar. It is a bit intimidating. I have a 13' scamp about 1000# and I can't believe how much we're loving it!! I know I need about 50watt panel, a regulator and attach to battery, right? I really only use the battery for radio and fan but it won't last a week off grid.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
it is just a simple hidden hitch attached only with bolts supplied, so no cutting etc. I'm definately looking at solar. It is a bit intimidating. I have a 13' scamp about 1000# and I can't believe how much we're loving it!! I know I need about 50watt panel, a regulator and attach to battery, right? I really only use the battery for radio and fan but it won't last a week off grid.
Hidden hitch is a direct bolt on to the factory supplied mounting locations on the rear subframe no worries there. Read up on the options in how you install it.
OEM install method remove the bumper and fit the bolts and backing plates via the open end of the frame or enlarge the drain hole in the bottom of the trunk to pass the bolts and backing plates into the frame- or the quick and dirty install shop method drill a 1 1/8 inch hole in each frame rail to pass the bolt and plate into the frame.

I did the OEM bumper removal - biggest tips are - do it when the bumper cover is hot, soft and flexible from the sun, Loosen up the plastic corner brackets at the bottom of the tail lights this gives you wiggle room to get the corner of the bumper cover to come loose.

Do not tighten up the hitch till you have the bumper cover back on the car and all the screws and pop pins back in place or you will end up loosening the tow bar again to get all the bits back into place - Yes I did that which added time to the install LOL

The scamp is a great concept durable as all get out and solid water tight RV etc. The great thing also is that you have a roof you can easily mount a solar panel or two to help cover your power needs. I don't remember the specs on our one panel we used on a 34 racing boat running various NAV gear - power hungry SSB long range radio system - Laptop and running lights - but the panel was 2ft by 4ft and covered the basic electronics - and running lights + charged the battery. The SSB and Laptop were the major power hogs. SSB if you grabbed the big whip antenna during broadcast would knock you on your ass and dazed it had some juice given we could chat up HAM radio guys nearly 2000 miles away. LOL

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
We run two group 31's on our 28footer which we have a 15inch LCD TV and lots of power hungry old lighting in the cabin and the two group31's easily handle it. If you can fit a group 31 in the scamp then tie a decent roof top solar panel to it you should easily have plenty of juice.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
If you are using a 7 pin connector, one of the pins is battery power. Most often, a circuit breaker (Usually 20 amp) is installed in the line near the car battery. Plugging in the trailer to the car should power the trailer. You can make a simple pigtail to do the same when you are parked, make it about 20' long so you can have some choices for parking. Just don't run both batteries down.....

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
You can use a battery isolator to help accomplish this. That way the car can help charge the RV battery when the car is running, but once the car is shut off the RV can't drain the car battery. This happens automatically without you having to remember any switches or anything. I used to install them along with a second battery in small campers & conversion vans.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts