Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2019 outback limited 2.5
13 Posts
I had the factory 1.25" hitch installed on my 2017 Outback when I first got it. I should have gone with an aftermarket 2" receiver from the start and have upgraded mine recently and removed the factory Subaru hitch. There are many more options for accessories for a 2" receiver hitch than the Subaru hitch, and Subaru has a non-standard pin-hole location that may even limit the use of some 1.25" accessories.

The rear bumper cover will be removed as well as the foam absorber and the steel bumper beam. The foam absorber and the bumper beam will not be reinstalled with the Subaru hitch when the bumper cover goes back on. If you go with the Subaru hitch ask to keep the parts they remove and leave off in case you later either remove the hitch or upgrade to a different one. With any other hitch or with no hitch the bumper beam and absorber will need to be put back in. I didn't keep these parts when I had my first hitch installed and had to buy a bumper beam when I later changed hitches.

Personally I would go with a 2" aftermarket receiver hitch to begin with and skip the Subaru factory hitch. Which one is a whole different question.
Thank you for the very detailed advice. I already have a Rhode Gear bike rack that is 1.25 size. I will have to see if the holes line up. I will have them save the parts. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2019 outback limited 2.5
13 Posts
Had factory hitch installed today. They were not busy and the whole install took 2 hours. My existing bike rack fits it great. Danver, I had them save the steel bumper beam as you suggested. It weighs a ton; took both hands to move it from the car. I wonder how the lack of beam affects the bumper strength? Hope I won't find out. Anyway, it looks fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Find a highly rated local mechanic and ask him/her for a quote on installing a hitch on a 2019 Outback. You could have the hitch delivered to you and bring it in, or they could purchase the hitch for you, in which case there will likely be a markup, which is completely justifiable, as that is part of every auto repair business. There are also stores which specialize in roof racks, and bike racks, etc., that can install hitches. Just make sure the person installing it is competent, which is best based on reputation.
I made an appointment at Pep Boys and they looked at hitch and would not do it.
I purchased the "Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2"
Item # 76227. So I am calling around some more. Is U-Haul recommended? I assume
I can get this installed for around 150$.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
908 Posts
I made an appointment at Pep Boys and they looked at hitch and would not do it.
I purchased the "Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2"
Item # 76227. So I am calling around some more. Is U-Haul recommended? I assume
I can get this installed for around 150$.
Dude, STOP!

Please, dont take your car or any car you care about to Pep Boys or U-Haul or any of those **** shops. Google a hitch installer in your area or go to Draw Tight and ask for Local installer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Dude, STOP!

Please, dont take your car or any car you care about to Pep Boys or U-Haul or any of those **** shops. Google a hitch installer in your area or go to Draw Tight and ask for Local installer.
Yes. After I talked with the Pepboys folks I realized they would not be good. I am glad they said they could not do it :).
My wife suggested I try a body shop and see if they would do the install. If I were a few years younger I might try it myself. I do not have the patience do this type of work anymore. I would think Uhaul would be good but will look for a mechanic. It seems to me I might need a shop that also has a specialization in hitch installs.. -- Thanks

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
908 Posts
Yes. After I talked with the Pepboys folks I realized they would not be good. I am glad they said they could not do it :).
My wife suggested I try a body shop and see if they would do the install. If I were a few years younger I might try it myself. I do not have the patience do this type of work anymore. I would think Uhaul would be good but will look for a mechanic. It seems to me I might need a shop that also has a specialization in hitch installs.. -- Thanks
I have an ecoHitch. Went on their site, reached out, found few local Installers, took car, cost me $125 and they was done quickly and professionally.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Well got hitch installed today for 200$ plus tax/fees in about 1 hour.
I used Rev Tech Performance which is NOVA (Northern Virginia).
A different kind of shop. These folks seem happy and appear to
be the nerds (experts) with cars. If you go do not make the mistake I did
and enter "cedar ROAD" instead of "cedar DRIVE."

21 - 29 of 29 Posts