Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded my wheels and tires and looking to get a full size spare tire carrier for the OEM 1.25" trailer hitch.
Can not find anything online that would work... I was considering DIYing one from a hitch mount bike rack that tilts (Thule Vertex).
I do not want to get a roof basket mount as I often switch out the basket for a cargo box.
Anyone have any ideas on mounts that could work?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,724 Posts
I have a Thule T2 XT hitch-mounted bike rack. The reverse camera is pretty marginal when the thing is folded up with no bikes on it. I've gotten really used to the camera. I'd think a full size spare would block it completely.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
eTraiker just advertised a hitch mount spare tire carrier. IIIRC,
It was for a 2" receiver, don't know if they had one for the 1 1/2" receiver.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L XT Limited
285 Posts
There are 1 1/2 to 2 inch adapters out there, so you can get that spare tire hitch from eTrailer.com. I chose to remove the air out of my spare tire completely and then I was able to fit the full size spare tire in the spare tire space. Now I have an Air Compressor in the car, so when I need to use it, after I pull the tire out, then I can put Air into the Spare Tire.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are 1 1/2 to 2 inch adapters out there, so you can get that spare tire hitch from eTrailer.com. I chose to remove the air out of my spare tire completely and then I was able to fit the full size spare tire in the spare tire space. Now I have an Air Compressor in the car, so when I need to use it, after I pull the tire out, then I can put Air into the Spare Tire.

Thanks for the response.... what is the size or your spare tire? Cause I was not sure that mine would fit even when deflated.

·
Registered
White 2015 Premium ADF 2" lift. Previously, 2013 Pzev Ice metallic silver.
67 Posts
What's your wheel size?

·
Registered
'15 Fozzy 2.5i Limited, '05 WRX
26 Posts
Better question is what is the tire size? Like ecornell, I have a full size spare in the Fozzy but it needs to be deflated to fit flush. It is OEM size.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Better question is what is the tire size? Like ecornell, I have a full size spare in the Fozzy but it needs to be deflated to fit flush. It is OEM size.

Yeah my tires are a little larger.... Falken Wildpeaks 245/16/17

·
Registered
'15 Fozzy 2.5i Limited, '05 WRX
26 Posts
Well, could always try to stick it in and see how close (or far) it is from fitting. I believe someone on the Forester forum basically built a false floor to accommodate an oversize spare. To me that's preferable to an external mount. We're not driving Jeeps :p

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, could always try to stick it in and see how close (or far) it is from fitting. I believe someone on the Forester forum basically built a false floor to accommodate an oversize spare. To me that's preferable to an external mount. We're not driving Jeeps :p

I hear you, I would only use it on long trips when trunk space is important.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,735 Posts

·
Registered
2019 sprinter 4x4, 2021 xt touring
1,446 Posts
@grantwilson
had one on the (now sold) 2015 wagon of doom project car:

2015 Subaru Outback - Wagon of Doom - Off Road Subaru

[I]
AtoZ fabrication tire swing out builders kit to use with other supplies for tire swingout- 110.00

Maxtrax spare tire holder-60.00[/I]

and it was on something other then a OEM hitch.
Thanks

I built the rear carrier that was behind the bumper

I do NOT recommend using any kind of swingout EXCEPT the Wilco hitchgate solo. Everything else is too heavy

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,735 Posts
Thanks

I do NOT recommend using any kind of swingout EXCEPT the Wilco hitchgate solo. Everything else is too heavy
hey look grant is still alive,

did you ever get a forester project going to replace the 15 outback? or are you modding the toyota tacoma?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@grantwilson
Any thoughts on modifying a hitch mount bike rack to carry the spare?

Basically remove the arms and weld the tire mount on the vertical stem. This tilts down and would be super easy to put on and take off.... not to mention the bike rack is rated up to 140lbs

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
@grantwilson
Any thoughts on modifying a hitch mount bike rack to carry the spare?

Basically remove the arms and weld the tire mount on the vertical stem. This tilts down and would be super easy to put on and take off.... not to mention the bike rack is rated up to 140lbs

why do it half ass?
Get the right thing to start

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks

I was looking at the Wilco Solo but it only comes for a 2" hitch

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I was looking at the Wilco Solo but it only comes for a 2" hitch

So get a 2" hitch like everyone else in the world. Its a minimal expense for a standardization

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Challenge is I already have the 1.25" oem hitch which I did not want to replace as well.

You aren't going to get sympathy from me. I paid 1300.00 to put my spare in the back on the truck.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts