Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So get a 2" hitch like everyone else in the world. Its a minimal expense for a standardization

Yeah I think that's inevitable...... will prolly get the Curt/Drawtite as they have the 600lb tongue weight. Wanted the Ecohitch but at 350lb tongue weight and some of the documented rust issues I am a little hesitant to spend double on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 sprinter 4x4, 2021 xt touring
1,446 Posts
Yeah I think that's inevitable...... will prolly get the Curt/Drawtite as they have the 600lb tongue weight. Wanted the Ecohitch but at 350lb tongue weight and some of the documented rust issues I am a little hesitant to spend double on it

it is NOT a 600lb tounge weight.
Changing the hitch doesnt change your Factory rated towing capacity. The number in the manual is all that is allowed. I have seen subarus that overdo it bend the back sheetmetal.

The rating they give is what the hitch can handle, not the vehicle.

The clearance of hte ecohitch is what you are paying for. You lose it with the others.
And rust issues? You do realize it would take the better part of 10 years to eat through enough of that metal to make an issue?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You aren't going to get sympathy from me. I paid 1300.00 to put my spare in the back on the truck.

Oh S&@t!!! To be honest my wife would kill me if I spent that much on the spare tire mount.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
it is NOT a 600lb tounge weight.

Changing the hitch doesnt change your Factory rated towing capacity. The number in the manual is all that is allowed. I have seen subarus that overdo it bend the back sheetmetal.

The rating they give is what the hitch can handle, not the vehicle.

The clearance of hte ecohitch is what you are paying for. You lose it with the others.

And rust issues? You do realize it would take the better part of 10 years to eat through enough of that metal to make an issue?

So I figured with my upgrade to the rallitek overload springs, I would be able to go to 400lbs tongue weight.... thoughts?

·
Registered
2019 sprinter 4x4, 2021 xt touring
1,446 Posts
So I figured with my upgrade to the rallitek overload springs, I would be able to go to 400lbs tongue weight.... thoughts?

its not about the load capacity, its the structure in the rear. Where those 8 tow hitch bolts go, there isnt a ton of meat. For my tire carrier i had to weld in 1/8" plate and supports to it to stabilize it.

I honestly wouldnt.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
its not about the load capacity, its the structure in the rear. Where those 8 tow hitch bolts go, there isnt a ton of meat. For my tire carrier i had to weld in 1/8" plate and supports to it to stabilize it.

I honestly wouldnt.

Thanks to the advice, I guess I am back to the drawing board on this..... maybe time to convince the wife to get a Tacoma....

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,735 Posts
Challenge is I already have the 1.25" oem hitch which I did not want to replace as well.

how about an adapter 1.25>2 " ?

·
Registered
'16 Outback 2.5i Premium WAM, Factory Hitch, Infinity speakers, Alpine Sub, Cargo Tray/Seat Protectors, Husky Liners, Rally Armor Mudflaps, LED Int Ltg, Subaru LOGO LED Projection Puddle Lights, OUTB
407 Posts
Hey @eagleeye, I was trying not to use an adapter..... I try complicate things unnecessarily

I understand. I would prefer not to use an adapter either since going to a bigger size pushes the hitch further out into space increasing the torque onto the hitch.

However, holding a spare tire and carrier and nothing else seems like a small enough load that it would not be a problem.

What I'd like is a spare tire carrier that allows me to install a hitch mount bike rack so I can carry bikes and a car spare tire.

I think that would push it right to the limit, and probably still be just fine.

·
Registered
2016 OB / 2008 Impreza / 1985 FJ60
168 Posts
What I'd like is a spare tire carrier that allows me to install a hitch mount bike rack so I can carry bikes and a car spare tire.

I think that would push it right to the limit, and probably still be just fine.
This is what i plan to do...
I'm running bfg's stock size. I'm thinking the hitch mounted spare tire carrier with an adapted second hitch carrier for two bikes.
Bikes and spare tire would swing out of the way.....
I'm going to mimic wilco set up except the tire will be off set to the either left, or right upper corners..
Would love to use aluminum, but i dont know how to weld it. Using 3/16" square tubing...except for the hitch part for the bikes.. Using the rated hitch tubing.. whatever size that is...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So after contemplating all my options or the spare tire carrier... I decided to go for it. Got a used bike rack.... chopped here and there... got a few other parts and welded things together and landed in a great spot.
I am super happy with how it turned out.
First 2 pics are before grinding and sanding everything smooth.... the ones thereafter are with everything painted and put together

@grantwilson, not as great as your set up, but works pretty well.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
That tire looks kind of heavy hanging out there. Does it bounce around much going down the road?

Not really, the rack assembly is bolted to the hitch preventing most of the movement.... of course when I hit bumps on the road there is a little movement.
But also the hitch is rated for 200lbs, the rack is rated for 140lbs and the tire weighs about 60lbs.

·
Registered
White 2015 Premium ADF 2" lift. Previously, 2013 Pzev Ice metallic silver.
67 Posts
Not really, the rack assembly is bolted to the hitch preventing most of the movement.... of course when I hit bumps on the road there is a little movement.
But also the hitch is rated for 200lbs, the rack is rated for 140lbs and the tire weighs about 60lbs.

What hitch are you using? Also, what rack did you cannibalize? Looks like it'll flip down out of the way for hatch access. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
What hitch are you using? Also, what rack did you cannibalize? Looks like it'll flip down out of the way for hatch access. Pretty cool.

Thanks @derbed. Unfortunately I have the 1.25 inch OEM hitch which made most of the other options more challenging or more expensive as I would need to replace with an ecohitch.
I cannibalized a Thule Vertex hitch which does flip down out of the way... that was the main reason I liked it. I own the Thule Apex rack which is more expensive but the same overall design. But also unlike many other bike racks, they are really really solid and pretty heavy as well.
Good thing is I was able to get a used Vertex off eBay as I did not want to touch my Thule Apex rack.....although I was able to use it when figuring out if the overall design would work.

·
Registered
White 2015 Premium ADF 2" lift. Previously, 2013 Pzev Ice metallic silver.
67 Posts
I see plenty used ones around but they're pushing $200. Some more expensive than others depending on the model: 1, 2, 3....5... Which Vertex will work?
Thanks

21 - 40 of 74 Posts