Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Hitch mount spare tire carrier on 1.25" hitch

@derbed, I used the 4 bike carrier but I know that the 2 bike carrier would work as well... the frames are the same and they all tilt.
I saw a couple of them on eBay for about $100 but with local pick up.
I know the 5 bike rack will not work if you have a 1.25" hitch as that only comes in a 2".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
That turned out nice! I was just looking at carriers earlier this week and had the same thought about using a bike mount. I have a 4 bike mount that is made of 2in square steel. Was thinking about bolting a trailer frame spare carrier to it. Then I could easily return it to a bike carrier when needed. Great work!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
That turned out nice! I was just looking at carriers earlier this week and had the same thought about using a bike mount. I have a 4 bike mount that is made of 2in square steel. Was thinking about bolting a trailer frame spare carrier to it. Then I could easily return it to a bike carrier when needed. Great work!

Thanks.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5
66 Posts
Really cool! I've been looking for an option to carry an external full sized spare. How are you liking your setup now that you've had it for a while? Any plans to mod the carrier some more to carry fuel/water?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Hitch mount spare tire carrier on 1.25" / 2" hitches

Hey @Cyrull, after having this for a while I love it!!! Used it for a number of long trips (6 hours +) and like that it does not impact mpgs and I can still use my cargo box.
I did make a slight modification to the carrier to tuck the tire closer to the car and better match the car’s body line.

I have been brainstorming ideas to add the fuel/water carriers but have not come up with something I like yet. Initially I wanted to have an all-in unit but I would prefer to be able to remove the fuel/water carriers as this is my daily driver.
Once I figure something out I will share the pics.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·

@Cyrull, I finally figured out how to add the extra fuel/ water carrier to the hitch mount..... still need to get this fully welded, attach the rotopax mounts, buy the pack and then should be good to go.
Here are a couple of preliminary shots.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Welded and mounted. Have about 6” to work with between the mount and the car... just enough for the rotopax. The 4 Gallon container is on order.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5
66 Posts
@Jimusoke that is really cool! How did you attach to the mounting plate to the carrier, U Bolts?? I am trying to replicate this setup right now but can't seem to find the bike carrier you bought at a decent price used. On the bright side I met a new neighbor who works as a fabricator :)

My Outback is also my DD so I would likely keep the carrier off my vehicle unless I was doing on an extended trip. Any idea what you think the total tongue weight will be with the Rotopax? I think the final piece to finish it off would be to get a Trasharoo!

Appreciate all the updates!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
@Jimusoke that is really cool! How did you attach to the mounting plate to the carrier, U Bolts?? I am trying to replicate this setup right now but can't seem to find the bike carrier you bought at a decent price used. On the bright side I met a new neighbor who works as a fabricator :)

My Outback is also my DD so I would likely keep the carrier off my vehicle unless I was doing on an extended trip. Any idea what you think the total tongue weight will be with the Rotopax? I think the final piece to finish it off would be to get a Trasharoo!

Appreciate all the updates!

@Cyrull thanks, I opted to get the mounting plate welded onto the bike carrier.... was concerned that u-bolts could have damaged the carrier.
The carrier itself weighs less than 40lbs, spare tire is about 60lbs so I should have another 100lbs for the Rotopax (I got the 4 gallon fuel one).
My OB is also my daily driver and I keep the carrier off unless I was doing a trip and leave the full spare at home too unless I am going over 30 miles away...... I still have the donut in the car.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R, 2" lift, Toyo P245/65R17
8 Posts
Nice work Jimusoke - I have a Wilco Solo on order (for 4 weeks now) and wished I would have made my own using the Folding Basket Adapter for 2" Trailer Hitch Mounted Cargo Carriers from Etrailer. ACCESSORIES AND PARTS/SURCO PRODUCTS/HITCH CARGO CARRIER/FLAT CARRIER PARTS/ADAPTERS. (Sorry - not allowed to attach any links yet cuz I'm a newbie here.)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·

Nice work Jimusoke - I have a Wilco Solo on order (for 4 weeks now) and wished I would have made my own using the Folding Basket Adapter for 2" Trailer Hitch Mounted Cargo Carriers from Etrailer. ACCESSORIES AND PARTS/SURCO PRODUCTS/HITCH CARGO CARRIER/FLAT CARRIER PARTS/ADAPTERS. (Sorry - not allowed to attach any links yet cuz I'm a newbie here.)

Thank you..... I hear you..... the Wilco was a little pricey but also I have the 1.25 OEM hitch and did not want to switch that out or use an adapter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When you deflate the full size spare and then use the compressor to fill it with air, do you have problems with the tire setting the bead on the rim?

I had the dealer put a full size spare in my Subie and it did fit, but stuck above the plane of the floor by about one inch due to the size of the rim width. I can dispense with the plastic spacers that hold some of the jacking tools.

Any comments?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
41 - 60 of 74 Posts