Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
When you deflate the full size spare and then use the compressor to fill it with air, do you have problems with the tire setting the bead on the rim?

I had the dealer put a full size spare in my Subie and it did fit, but stuck above the plane of the floor by about one inch due to the size of the rim width. I can dispense with the plastic spacers that hold some of the jacking tools.

Any comments?

I deflated the tire once and getting the bead back on the rim was a pain.... that’s why I opted for the hitch mount carrier.
I also did not like that the tire did not sit flush with the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
602 Posts
I too had thoughts about the difficulties if you break the bead on your spare. I just could not see myself on the side of the road with propane or alcohol to do the magic tire-fire explody bit to pop it back in to shape (you may have seen those videos).

I would think that as long as you have some positive pressure in the tire the bead will hold. But also the tire will be jammed in like a tick and you would have to deflate it even further to remove the tire from the boot.

Maybe the boot is big enough for a factory tire but if you have big aftermarkets that is going to be a problem.

I like the swing down tire rack if it was much lower and closer in to the vehicle.

From a mechanical engineering perspective the vehicle, hitch, tire rack and tire is a series of complicated levers. The forces upon the hitch and the back of the vehicle are going to be much greater than the static weight of the tire.. It is a tire mounted at the end of a series of levers and the back end of the vehicle also amplifies any body motion as you are further away from the center line of the rear axle. The repetitive bounce bounce bounce may not overcome any static loading but it is going to have an impact upon fatigue, particularly at the holes in the back body panel.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
From a mechanical engineering perspective the vehicle, hitch, tire rack and tire is a series of complicated levers. The forces upon the hitch and the back of the vehicle are going to be much greater than the static weight of the tire.. It is a tire mounted at the end of a series of levers and the back end of the vehicle also amplifies any body motion as you are further away from the center line of the rear axle. The repetitive bounce bounce bounce may not overcome any static loading but it is going to have an impact upon fatigue, particularly at the holes in the back body panel.

I agree that a carrier with some bounce could impact the body panel especially if the carrier is further away from the car...... that’s why I got one custom made that is bolted into the oem hitch and has no bounce or play when installed. That said, I do not always use it. I also have a cargo basket with a spare tire attachment.... this setup however does impact gas mileage a little.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This looks great. Any updated pics with the fuel/water containers on the mount?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i, Magnetite Gray
81 Posts
Hey Jimusoke-

What type of mounts/towers are you using for the roof rack/crossbars? My Yakima setup looks to sit up much higher than yours.

Thanks!

Robmat

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
This looks great. Any updated pics with the fuel/water containers on the mount?
@bluetip84, not any good ones unfortunately....and to be honest I have not used it in months...will probably sell it off a sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Hitch mount spare tire carrier on 1.25" / 2" hitches

Hey Jimusoke-

What type of mounts/towers are you using for the roof rack/crossbars? My Yakima setup looks to sit up much higher than yours.

Thanks!

Robmat
@robmat, you may want to look at this post to get ideas on mounting the Yakima or Thule bars. Using aluminum or steel tubing on the factory tie-down points will save you on the cost of the Yakima landing pads.
I have the Yakima aero bars with the aluminum tubing (2x3x0.25) and love the setup as it keeps the bars close to the roof. Post# 14 is my set up explanation.

DIY alternative to factory cross bars - '15 Outback
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh.../forums/showthread.php?p=4476162&share_type=t

·
Registered
81 Posts
@Jimosuke Awesome! Thanks so much! I already have the Landing Pads and both the aero and round Yakima bars (longtime REI employee). But I really like the idea of having the bars a little closer to the roof. I recently ordered a rooftop tent, so the concern will be load rating (160lbs) and the width of the bar spread, but also having it closer to the roof is a big plus in my opinion. And in all honesty the Landing pad setup did not feel as sturdy as I would have liked.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. Your write up and info is fantastic! Off to the shop it is!

Cheers!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
@Jimosuke Awesome! Thanks so much! I already have the Landing Pads and both the aero and round Yakima bars (longtime REI employee). But I really like the idea of having the bars a little closer to the roof. I recently ordered a rooftop tent, so the concern will be load rating (160lbs) and the width of the bar spread, but also having it closer to the roof is a big plus in my opinion. And in all honesty the Landing pad setup did not feel as sturdy as I would have liked.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. Your write up and info is fantastic! Off to the shop it is!

Cheers!!

@robmat, no worries.... good luck on the build.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree that a carrier with some bounce could impact the body panel especially if the carrier is further away from the car...... that’s why I got one custom made that is bolted into the oem hitch and has no bounce or play when installed. That said, I do not always use it. I also have a cargo basket with a spare tire attachment.... this setup however does impact gas mileage a little.

you mind sharing who did your custom hitch/spare mount work?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
you mind sharing who did your custom hitch/spare mount work?
For the most part, I did. Did all the research, sourced all the parts, and got someone to weld the pieces for me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey everyone! I’m in the same boat as everyone here with the full size spare dilemma. I have an idea to modify a rack I already own and wanted to get some opinions. I have a Thule T2 bike rack that looks ready made for modification. It folds down, has the requisite weight capacity, may already have mounting points, it’s an anti wobble hitch and it’s already lock-able. The thought would be to temporarily remove the bike trays and to mount a full size spare carrier at the topmost mounting point. I’m going to take some measurements and see if this may actually be viable, but I wanted to see what everyone thought....would this be a safe way to temporarily carry the full size spare while traveling?

Additionally, why don’t we see tires carried in the flat, horizontal position? The rack easily carries 2 30+ pound bikes for long periods of time...why wouldn’t a tire work?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Would the spare as mounted be rather low to the ground...and would the Thule cross bar be strong enough to handle the torsion forces?

·
Registered
81 Posts
The mounted tire height would end up being similar to other carriers out there, and would unfortunately, block the camera too. As far as the mounts go, they look pretty beefy...1/8” steel plate, welded to the mast. I’ve stood on those cross bars many times and they didn’t budge. So, hopefully, they are strong enough!

61 - 74 of 74 Posts