Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I've romanced the notion that a used tip-down bike carrier from craigslist modified with a spare tire mount (such as for a trailer) would be a cheap, workable solution for an external spare carrier. Should be able to do it fot $100 or less. Perhaps someday I will try cobbling it together. Might be rickety and ugly, but I think it'd work well enough.
I actually own a Yakima SwingDaddy right now - how were you planning to modify it? I suppose you could drill a hole directly through the main vertical beam?

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,778 Posts
I actually own a Yakima SwingDaddy right now - how were you planning to modify it? I suppose you could drill a hole directly through the main vertical beam?
That's exactly the bike carrier I need...

I dislike anything that makes things harder. I also dislike noise/mpg loss but not as much as hassle. So I use the roof basket when I need something. At least on the 4R, there is no noise associated with the basket, so that's a relief after the OB. The basket I use is the Cabela big basket which can be had at various prices under 100 over the holidays (nominal price is like 160).

The Cabela basket is the winner for big size but low weight. It is like 29 lb the whole thing, which is less than some smaller baskets. Low-profile boxes on the basket, including Ridgid 22 in tool box, Harbor Freight Apache series boxes, or rectangular rifle boxes can all be used without additional mpg loss or noise to handle tools and recovery gear in various configurations. The mpg loss was minimal on the H6 to boot. I think I lost 1 mpg on the OB but 2 on the 4Runner. I only use it when needed. I use spare roof box bolts for those utility boxes and I put my stuff in bags. That way the boxes can remain bolted to the basket while the basket is moved between the car and two hooks on the wall. If you do not use bags to carry the tools but put the tools directly in the boxes, the tools are a pain to remove/put back and also to move around if you ever need them on a trip.

I would not buy a smaller basket.

There are attachments that would secure a spare to the basket as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That's exactly the bike carrier I need...

I dislike anything that makes things harder. I also dislike noise/mpg loss but not as much as hassle. So I use the roof basket when I need something. At least on the 4R, there is no noise associated with the basket, so that's a relief after the OB. The basket I use is the Cabela big basket which can be had at various prices under 100 over the holidays (nominal price is like 160).

The Cabela basket is the winner for big size but low weight. It is like 29 lb the whole thing, which is less than some smaller baskets. Low-profile boxes on the basket, including Ridgid 22 in tool box, Harbor Freight Apache series boxes, or rectangular rifle boxes can all be used without additional mpg loss or noise to handle tools and recovery gear in various configurations. The mpg loss was minimal on the H6 to boot. I think I lost 1 mpg on the OB but 2 on the 4Runner. I only use it when needed. I use spare roof box bolts for those utility boxes and I put my stuff in bags. That way the boxes can remain bolted to the basket while the basket is moved between the car and two hooks on the wall. If you do not use bags to carry the tools but put the tools directly in the boxes, the tools are a pain to remove/put back and also to move around if you ever need them on a trip.

I would not buy a smaller basket.

There are attachments that would secure a spare to the basket as well.
Is this the one your talking about?

https://www.cabelas.com/product/auto-atv/car-truck-suv/auto-exterior/cargo-carriers-racks/pc/104796180/c/630501480/sc/104696280/i/104253480/cabelas-trailgear-rooftop-carrier/1546504.uts?slotId=2

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,778 Posts
Yes! I got it for under 90 maybe in 2015? They have deals all the time this time of the year and the price varies slightly from deal to deal. I also got one for a friend for like 75 a couple years ago. But anything under 100 is a good deal. You will want to paint it, as with any other steel roof basket.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,087 Posts
Drilling a couple of holes could work so long as the construction of the rack allowed access to place sleeves inside the square tube to prevent the tube from getting squeezed when the bolts are tightened down.

I was actually thinking of using a commercial spare mount attached to the vertical tube. It might have to be mounted sideways (made for horizontal tubes) so it would be off-centered, asymmetric and perhaps ugly. Also, some additional material may need to be added to prevent the mount from sliding down the vertical tube if adequate clamping force cannot be achieved. And the mount may need to be modified with a new hole if the bolt patttern doesn't match. So it may take some rigging and customizing, but it would be inexpensive.
https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-70214-Powder-Trailer-Carrier/dp/B00RJKB2FQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1545361100&sr=8-3&keywords=Trailer+Spare+Tire+Mount

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5
66 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
231 Posts
@Cyrull, the tire carrier is holding up really well but I have not used it in a while as I also have the cargo basket and I have been too lazy to lift the tire off the roof.
I am thinking about selling it as I feel someone else who goes off-roading more regularly can get better use and enjoyment from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
231 Posts
Drilling a couple of holes could work so long as the construction of the rack allowed access to place sleeves inside the square tube to prevent the tube from getting squeezed when the bolts are tightened down.

I was actually thinking of using a commercial spare mount attached to the vertical tube. It might have to be mounted sideways (made for horizontal tubes) so it would be off-centered, asymmetric and perhaps ugly. Also, some additional material may need to be added to prevent the mount from sliding down the vertical tube if adequate clamping force cannot be achieved. And the mount may need to be modified with a new hole if the bolt patttern doesn't match. So it may take some rigging and customizing, but it would be inexpensive.

https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-70214-Powder-Trailer-Carrier/dp/B00RJKB2FQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1545361100&sr=8-3&keywords=Trailer+Spare+Tire+Mount

@dukey, @kawasakiguy37, the gauge of the metal will not be able to support the weight of the tire using the commercial spare tire mounts... that was my first idea and scrapped it for a more permanent welded option.
Not to mention if you are using a bike carrier, you should opt for one that is secured with a through pin/bolt and include an anti wobble feature.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5
66 Posts
@Cyrull, the tire carrier is holding up really well but I have not used it in a while as I also have the cargo basket and I have been too lazy to lift the tire off the roof.
I am thinking about selling it as I feel someone else who goes off-roading more regularly can get better use and enjoyment from it.

I have a cargo box instead of a basket. It's much more practical for us since it rains all the frigging time here, unfortunately that means no spare on the roof.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had to return the Wilco solo. It has a meager 4" to connect in the bumper. Unless you have a hidden hitch coming directly out of the bumper, it DOES NOT fit. I have a draw-tite hitch and it misses the mark by about 3"

Custom fabricated seems the only way to make it work right.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts