Subaru Outback Forums banner

Hitch Tongue Weight: 500 lb Ascent, vs traditional 200 lb Outback (2000-2019)

37914 Views 72 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  ELPTXJC
I got a factory hitch for my 2017 3.6 OB from the dealer when I b

I'm looking at something like the attached picture. I was just at the rv dealer and we put the the trailer hitch on a scale and it came in at 350 lbs.

The factory hitch max tongue is 200 lbs?

This is empty. I'll likely add 50 to 80 lbs of battery which goes in the front.

So is this out of the question?

Attachments

See less See more
41 - 60 of 73 Posts
updated thread title, and made it a sticky,

to display the news for everyone. :smile2:

older title was 'Factory Hitch... Is the 200lb it? outback vs. ascent'
________

this really opens subaru up as a trailer tower of all kinds less then 5000 lbs.

and you can now add some on the front of trailers to make them even more stable with the 500lb tongue weight,

vs. struggling to keep the tongue of a all other subarus made under 200 lbs. .
See less See more
This page seems to confirm it. Scroll down and look at the trailer hitch in the lifestyle accessories section.

https://www.subaru.com/ascent
This page seems to confirm it. Scroll down and look at the trailer hitch in the lifestyle accessories section.

https://www.subaru.com/ascent
great find !! :smile2:

(copied from the lifestyle tab).

"Subaru hitches are engineered and crash tested to meet the same rigorous safety standards as the rest of the Ascent.
Rated at 500 lbs. tongue weight, 5,000 lbs. maximum towing capacity,
with base models rated at 200 lbs. tongue weight and 2,000 lbs. maximum towing capacity.
Trailer Hitch requires the hitch and harness for proper operation and safety compliance.
Hitch ball not included.
Trailer brakes may be required by your state for heavier loads. Consult your owner's manual for more information."
Reactions: 2
Base, Premium, Limited, Touring

The specs on the Premium are the only one that say 500/5000. The other statement, "...with base models rated at 200 lbs. tongue weight and 2,000 lbs. maximum towing capacity" implies that the Base is 200/2000, the Premium is 500/5000, but there's nothing about the Limited and Touring.

The specs on the Premium are the only one that say 500/5000. The other statement, "...with base models rated at 200 lbs. tongue weight and 2,000 lbs. maximum towing capacity" implies that the Base is 200/2000, the Premium is 500/5000, but there's nothing about the Limited and Touring.
Does not state ‘premium’ in the text above. Base versus not base would include all models from premium up if not base.

you got to go to the site to see the breakdown, of specs on a grid.

Base model Ascent ~ stripped to make it cheap,......like missing things,...like they stripped the regular HD tow package off it,
...leaving it only capable of towing a jet ski, or a ultralight popup camper,...with its 7-8 passengers

The way Subaru works in my experience is the limited = everything the premium has/does + extra. The touring = everything the limited has/does + extra.
The way Subaru works in my experience is the limited = everything the premium has/does + extra. The touring = everything the limited has/does + extra.
Ascent Premium
Starting at $34,195*

Includes all Ascent features plus:
Choice of 8-passenger seating w/second-row bench seat or 7-passenger seating w/dual second-row captain’s chairs
SUBARU STARLINK Safety and Security with Automatic Collision Notification[3]
Spill-resistant cloth upholstery
All-Weather Package: heated front seats, heated exterior mirrors, and windshield wiper de-icer
5,000 pound maximum towing capacity[1]
Blind-Spot Detection and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert[9]

Ascent Limited
Starting at $38,995*

Includes all Ascent Premium features plus:
Leather-trimmed upholstery
20-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
LED Steering Responsive Headlights
Power rear gate with height memory function
Keyless Access with Push-Button Start
Reverse Automatic Braking[11]

Ascent Touring
Starting at $44,695*

Includes all Ascent Limited features plus:
7-passenger seating w/dual second-row captain’s chairs (8-passenger seating unavailable)
Panoramic power moonroof
Exclusive Java Brown leather-trimmed upholstery
Heated and ventilated front seats
SUBARU STARLINK Multimedia Navigation
Harman Kardon 792-watt-equivalent 14-speaker premium audio system
Second-row sun shades
See less See more
Reactions: 1
I got a factory hitch for my 2017 3.6 OB from the dealer when I b

I'm looking at something like the attached picture. I was just at the rv dealer and we put the the trailer hitch on a scale and it came in at 350 lbs.

The factory hitch max tongue is 200 lbs?

This is empty. I'll likely add 50 to 80 lbs of battery which goes in the front.

So is this out of the question?
I'm going with the Pursue w/o the kitchen. I'm likely going to scrap the shelving in front in exchange for something lighter/smaller also. Things like a generator and a 12v refrigerator will go on the rear. I've found that the Outback is rated with a tongue weight of 330lbs in Australia. I also found that the hitch that's equiped there is more in line with the aftermarket types (DrawTite and Curt) that bolt further in on the chassis as opposed to the factory class 2 (undersized for just about any trailer) or the EcoHitch that mount to the bumper. I can't see Subaru producing wildly different chassis across markets. My trailer is coming with brakes to help ease the work on the car's brakes and I may look at the Rallitek springs to keep the suspension/tires good if there's too much squat. There was guy on the inTech owners Facebook group that has a fully loaded Pursue (close to 350) that he tows with a 2017 Outback 2.5. He claims no issues.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
See less See more
I'm going with the Pursue w/o the kitchen. I'm likely going to scrap the shelving in front in exchange for something lighter/smaller also. Things like a generator and a 12v refrigerator will go on the rear. I've found that the Outback is rated with a tongue weight of 330lbs in Australia. I also found that the hitch that's equiped there is more in line with the aftermarket types (DrawTite and Curt) that bolt further in on the chassis as opposed to the factory class 2 (undersized for just about any trailer) or the EcoHitch that mount to the bumper. I can't see Subaru producing wildly different chassis across markets. My trailer is coming with brakes to help ease the work on the car's brakes and I may look at the Rallitek springs to keep the suspension/tires good if there's too much squat. There was guy on the inTech owners Facebook group that has a fully loaded Pursue (close to 350) that he tows with a 2017 Outback 2.5. He claims no issues.

the US has stronger safety regulations for trailer towing then other places.
...places that don't have people wanting to tow a 3000lb travel trailer up and down mountains
like Pikes Peak, Colorado on a hot day in Summer. (like around rally race weekend there).

I am surprised you books there list so much on tongue. ...and I wonder if anyone has bent a unibody vehicle due to it. like taken the trailer off road, or up over a tall curb and had a lot more weight than the regular listing, do to it shoved forward onto the tongue at a odd angle.
That's an interesting picture. I can't make out too many details from just that photo, but it looks like it attaches to the bolts that hold on the bumper and replaces the original steel bumper. The two arms look like they fit *inside* the frame rails. That extra support on the inside of the frame rails might counteract the downward forces and torque of the extra tongue weight.
Reactions: 1
As previously stated. You can go with aftermarket receivers that have a higher tongue weight like a class III receiver. But its still limited to 200lbs by how it is attached to the vehicle. So going with a class III receiver with a higher weight capacity is just throwing money away.
According to a pre-release spec sheet for the Ascent, the tongue capacity is 277lbs. That came with an *, indicating it could change once the car hits production. I'm hoping that 277 is conservative, and it's rated higher so I can aim for the [email protected] 400 or Little Guy Max, myself...
According to a pre-release spec sheet for the Ascent, the tongue capacity is 277lbs. That came with an *, indicating it could change once the car hits production. I'm hoping that 277 is conservative, and it's rated higher so I can aim for the [email protected] 400 or Little Guy Max, myself...
read this thread going backwards.
Reactions: 2
read this thread going backwards.
Thanks for that. Now I know, 277 tongue weight just felt light compared to the 5000lb tow rating. :smile2:

...and to save others from having to scour the thread, i'll repost:

Subaru hitches are engineered and crash tested to meet the same rigorous safety standards as the rest of the Ascent. Rated at 500 lbs. tongue weight, 5,000 lbs. maximum towing capacity, with base models rated at 200 lbs. tongue weight and 2,000 lbs. maximum towing capacity. Trailer Hitch requires the hitch and harness for proper operation and safety compliance. Hitch ball not included. Trailer brakes may be required by your state for heavier loads. Consult your owner's manual for more information.
As an ambassador you should read the Ascent engine power specs. Why Subaru placed a power spec next to the max tow rating is a bit odd. Marketing dept flub.

Max Tongue weight is 500lbs

Can this tow bar from Australia fit on my USA outback?
Can this tow bar be legally installed on my USA outback?
Can I purchase this towbar and have it delivered to me in the USA?

I did not see the specs on the .au accessories web page, just the price.
Can this tow bar from Australia fit on my USA outback?
Can this tow bar be legally installed on my USA outback?
Can I purchase this towbar and have it delivered to me in the USA?

I did not see the specs on the .au accessories web page, just the price.
I couldn't find any of that info available. I checked Australian sites, but didn't see it displayed. I've gotten other items (trim) from other countries, so I'm sure you might be able to find it. The main issue (besides whatever DOT approvals the hitch may need) may be that the items will be manufactured in metric measurements. I'd be afraid that any standard components being used here would only be "close enough" and could lead to issues. I only posted it to demonstrate that when the hitch is properly designed, the chassis should be able to handle more than the rating we are given with the OEM class 2 here.

Just install a US spec hitch. That Aus hitch is different but similar the AUS OB probably come from Japan or Possibly India I think they Build there also highly likely the platform is not the same.

Besides being heavy the OB stock springs will be a little too soft your low beams will be signaling 737’s at 32,000 ft. Which case ralitek spring upgrade would be a nice addition. In the end the Ascent is simply a better solution for this. Mileage with the trailer will probably be better with the Ascent also.
Both the Draw-Tite and Eco-Hitch hitches just bolt onto the existing bumper beam studs. The Subaru hitch has metal bars that extend into the frame of the car and bolt on inside of the frame as well as to the bumper beam studs. I don't understand why they only give their OEM hitch a 1.5" receiver and a 200lb. tongue weight limit. I'm sure it could carry more but I think they are being overly cautious with their rating. I'd be way more concerned about the other hitches ripping the studs off the car rather than having any problems with the OEM hitch. I'm thinking that they are more worried about liability issues rather than mechanical ones. Just my 2¢.
41 - 60 of 73 Posts