Registered
2018 OB 2.5i Premium
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
15 Posts
Pretty impressive. Won't be long until all cars have to include some kind of auto braking feature. The lane keep and other stuff I can do without, but the auto braking is a huge deal.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5i Premium
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HLDI has an interesting page listing insurance losses by make and model: Insurance loss information

If I go to the "Best and worst" tab, select "Bodily injury liability" and 2014-2016, there're a lot of Subaru cars on the Best list. (Maybe they didn't track similar, EyeSight type of features in other cars.)

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Limited
140 Posts
With all this great data, I'm wondering how big of a discount insurance companies now offer on vehicles equipped with EyeSight? 3 years ago, it was zero, and is why I didn't get it.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
903 Posts
With all this great data, I'm wondering how big of a discount insurance companies now offer on vehicles equipped with EyeSight? 3 years ago, it was zero, and is why I didn't get it.

You didn't get a safety feature because there was no insurance discount. How much of a discount would justify the purchase for you?

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
Still zero. If potentially saving your life is not sufficient incentive, whatever small discount may appear down the road doesn't seem that appealing.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,156 Posts
EyeSight or other electronic driving aids aside - such statistics are going to have a bias against small, mostly urban-use cars, and a bias for larger vehicles not typically used in urban environments.

It would have been better to adjust these ratings to reflect passenger claims per million miles driven inside urban areas. But I'm sure such statistics can't be recovered easily, and insurance companise have no incentive to do so - from their $$$ standpoint, a claim is a claim.

Because what I'm interested in is whether car "X" is better than car "Y" in an urban environment where most pedestrian incidents occur.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
While it's not technically Eyesight, the rear braking system saved my bacon this afternoon. I was backing out of my daughter's driveway, and a neighbor across the street also began backing out. I had my eye on my daughter, as she was doing some pressure-washing, when the car suddenly beeped and slammed on the brakes. I looked in my mirror and the other car was directly behind me, only about a foot away. I would have creamed his driver's door, and would have irritated myself greatly. I am now 100% sold on the safety technology on my car! :)

·
Registered
Honda owner shopping for a 2018 Outback but holding off due to head unit issues
91 Posts
Looks like the 2019 Subaru Outback will have EyeSight as standard equipment. From the Subaru PR article:

For the 2019 model year, EyeSight will be standard equipment on the all-new three-row Subaru Ascent SUV as well as the Outback SUV, Legacy midsize sedan and fully redesigned Forester SUV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts