Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Tungsten 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ES
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you registered your 2018 Subaru for the 3 year free navigation map update, and recently received an email from Subaru saying an update for US-CAN-MEX is available for download - hold off on installing that for now. Much like NAFTA negotiations, it's just US-MEX for now. :wink2:

I, and at least one other forum 2018 Canadian Subaru owner installed this update, and have experienced that the navigation voice command "find nearest xxxx" replies that the feature is "not available in this country." It was working just fine before this new update was installed.

I contacted Subaru Customer Care and was told that they have not yet released the latest software in Canada. They seemed confused about how I even acquired this software. I was told that the official Canadian release - however the heck that is different from the one I already got - will be available possibly at the end of next week.

Stay tuned for news as it happens.

Edit.... If you did already install the update, or decide to do so anyway - please post here whether or not the voice navigation command 'find nearest xxxx' is working for you. Subaru Customer Care apparently doesn't believe that the problem isn't isolated to just me.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Pearl Outback 3.6R Premier
183 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. I got the notification email, updated and have the same issue.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for starting this thread. I got the notification email, updated and have the same issue.
Credit where due... It was your post about this issue in another thread that made me go immediately to my car and check it out. As it turned out, the problem didn't appear for me until I drove the car a few days later; it had worked just fine while parked in the garage. I would have been much more upset to discover this problem while travelling in unfamiliar places..... So thank you!

I guess we're the only lucky ones; nobody else has reported the problem.

I wonder though, if the feature isn't available inside Canada with this latest update U0.18.30.20 NA_CAN_MEX ( not for Canada, although it's labelled that way??? ), what happens when an American tourist tries to use the feature in Canada?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, when nothing changed on Sept 7, I sent another e-mail and got this answer from Subaru Customer Care Canada......

Your email has been forwarded to the product planning department and I have been informed that this file should be the correct one for your vehicle. If you have completed the update successfully, there will be no more changes to this file until the first quarter of 2019 (Q1 2019).

As for your question regarding the voice command system, we recommend that you contact the service department at your local Subaru Dealer for assistance.

Basically, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. After initially accusing me of loading unauthorized firmware, now they're saying there isn't really a "Canadian" release for 7 Sept as I had been told; I already got the latest update from the download. As for the loss of the voice command "find nearest" - too bad so sad, go to your dealership. Sure, they'll know how to fix it; maybe it just needs some grease? :rolleyes:

I suppose I could ask the dealership to roll back the firmware to the previous release ( if that's even possible ). I may get the "find" voice command back, but then the strange "radio always on" behaviour comes back too. :crying:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Work around for this problem but not a great one. If you are English, go into the language setting and change it to French. Change it back to English and the command works! Problem is, after ignition off and another startup same problem until you repeat setting the language back and forth again.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you try leaving it in French? I might give that a try.

Ou est le plus proche Tim Horton?

Could Subaru be so dumb? I've encountered web sites that as soon as you select "Canada" it appears in French only... as if everybody in Canada speaks only French.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Did you try leaving it in French?
My French is not that good. Everything is in French in the entertainment system after you switch it. But it would be interesting to see if it maintains the functionality.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My French is not that good. Everything is in French in the entertainment system after you switch it. But it would be interesting to see if it maintains the functionality.
I finally got around to testing this. Switching to French worked after it had just failed in English, but once the car was moving again it told me (in French) that the feature wasn't available. Oh well. :crying:

I've finally come to the realization that this nav system isn't really worth the effort. During my testing, while parked nearby a restaurant that had been there for at least 8 years, I asked it to 'find nearest restaurant'. It didn't even list the one I knew about; how then could I trust it to be complete when I'm someplace that I've never been before?

·
Registered
183 Posts
There is a new map update available now dated Nov 30/18. I installed it but the problem continues "Find nearest" command still does not work.

·
Registered
183 Posts
There is a new map update available now dated Nov 30/18. I installed it but the problem continues "Find nearest" command still does not work.
Response from an email to Subaru Canada today to which I replied that this is a Subaru Canada problem:

Hi Brent:

Thank you for following up. We would recommend bringing it into an authorized Subaru dealer to have them take a look. This may be something they have to fix with the next software update.

Thanks,

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When heck freezes over, maybe

This may be something they have to fix with the next software update.
Don't count on it - probably just not enough complaining Canadians for them to do anything. I hope I'm wrong, but the response of "go to your dealer" seems like a complete "get lost" response to me.

Just to make you feel a little worse.... My son came over with his new Jeep Cherokee. Just for fun, I pressed the voice command button and said "Find nearest Starbucks". Up came a list.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5 Limited w ES. Tungsten.
122 Posts
I've finally come to the realization that this nav system isn't really worth the effort. During my testing, while parked nearby a restaurant that had been there for at least 8 years, I asked it to 'find nearest restaurant'. It didn't even list the one I knew about; how then could I trust it to be complete when I'm someplace that I've never been before?
We took our car on it's first little trip today. We were going to lunch at a restaurant in Gosport near Brighton (it has been there for for some time). When we got near, we searched for restaurants but could not find the two that we knew were close by. Mostly finds McDonald's, Subways etc.

Then on way home, we stopped at a store that had a Mobil station in same parking lot. Searched for nearest gas station, but it didn't find that one. It's also been there for years.

As before, it has a number of the speed limits wrong in our area.

Our Garmin finds these places and has correct speed limits.

I checked my mapping status using the wifi update from the car. It said there were no new updates (2019 Outback delivered about a week ago)

I can see the NAV system being useful for major navigation. Nice to have the large map display But not much good for POIs. Maybe it will work better in USA when we head that way.

To be honest, I didn't want the NAV or Eyesight. But to get leather seats and fast delivery I had no choice.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I use Waze on my iPhone and the integration works very well on the Outback headunit. Waze is the best navigation that I've used and the voice recognition is excellent. That being said, I still want my Subaru voice commands to work properly as backup (when I forget my phone) or when I travel in the USA because I don't have a US data plan. Waze is also excellent for POIs, construction avoidance, etc.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just installed the latest update

Downloaded and installed U0.18.43.20 just now. Got a bit of a scare because when it started the update, it just went into a reset loop over and over for 5 minutes before I realized it was reading the USB that my music was on for some reason. I pulled that USB out, but accidentally knocked the update USB stick out as well. I though maybe I had bricked the HU, but it came back and was able to do the full update.

I don't see any difference yet. The map still shows the Toronto 407ETR ending at Harmony Rd. But then it's only Canada's largest city, so why would Subaru care about making it accurate by including new major highway data from almost a year ago?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Downloaded and installed U0.18.43.20
Do you know if there is any way to determine what version number of the maps is actually installed? Might be interesting to compare 2019 version number on my car with the update version you received from update site.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you know if there is any way to determine what version number of the maps is actually installed? Might be interesting to compare 2019 version number on my car with the update version you received from update site.

Go to [SETTINGS] [GENERAL] [SYSTEM INFORMATION]

Says... USA Canada and Mexico 991_6759_9121.

·
Registered
18 OB 2.5i Ltd w/ES Crystal Blk/Ivory
594 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
I noticed today that a new version of the map downloader was available. I downloaded and installed it.

Once installed, it says that a new map update is available dated 2018.12.10 25:32. However, it seems to be same one I installed previously? REL_U1.18.38.50 NA_CAN_MEX

So no point re-installing. Not sure what is different about the Map Downloader.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts