Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Team.

The Blue Beast: 2006 OB, N/A, 4 cyl, 173K on the clock. I keep it pretty much like new.

The exhaust has been making a 'puttering' sound for a few weeks. I brought it to Subaru, and it has a hole in the exhaust pipe.

They showed it to me. It's in the 'Y' pipe, where the single pipe splits into two pipes, which lead to the two mufflers.

You can't actually see the hole. It's hidden in the crease where the pipe splits in two. But you can feel the hot gas blowing out from the hidden hole.

I asked Subaru how much it would cost to 'just replace the whole thing.' They said about $1400, and then steered me to two well-known muffler joints (they're an honest bunch there).

They said that these places might be able to weld a new 'Y' pipe into place.

Also, the exhaust system is visibly rusted (possibly even corroded, to an extent). They also said that, if someone tries to take the system apart, it might cause damage, which might cause other portions of the exhaust system to be replaced.

I want to get this fixed right, and this is for two reasons:

1. I keep the car like new.

2. I'm not messing around with exhaust fumes, because they can be deadly.

Thoughts on the best course of action here?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FinMcCool, you can get the pipe with the resonator and the Y connection from rock auto for about $120 less shipping.
Thanks very much. Sounds like I can replace the entire system for a lot cheaper than $1400.

Would this be Subaru parts, or aftermarket? Thanks again.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,371 Posts
Depends on the overall rust level. They might be able to replace the busted Y pipe, they might not. Can't say without knowing how corroded everything else is in regards to gaskets, hardware, etc.

Former is fairly cheap to replace, $1000+ sounds about right if you need a new everything from engine to exhaust tip.

·
Registered
Silver: 2009 Subaru Outback Limited Edition, 2.5 Liter EJ25, Automatic. Gem: 2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean Edition, 3.0 liter EZ30D, Automatic
207 Posts
I have fixed holes in exhaust pipes very effectively using Magic Sculpt. Their website is Magic Sculp

The magic sculpt is heat-resistant and can be used on an exhaust pipe. I and other artists I know have used it on our exhaust pipes successfully.

Rustoleum also has a muffler paint that stops rust and is heat resistant (supposedly). If rust is making your holes, I'd suggest rust-treating the exhaust and then filling the holes with magic sculpt. The magic sculpt can be painted over too.

I'm planning on doing this with my own exhaust this summer.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
that's aftermarket. subaru parts are 5 times the quality for 10x the cost. exaggerated numbers but the idea is true.

if by "entire system" you mean front to back - i would slow down for a moment. exhaust is one area where it's wise to spend a little effort finding the best repair possible. i wouldn't want to replace the catalytic converter unless absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks All, for the great information.

My next stop will be a well-known muffler joint. I'll let you know what they say!

Happy trails.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i
278 Posts
Had the same thing on my '09. I actually just made a plug plate and welded it on over the open end of the Y to box in the entire area. Had to weld up some of the other holes in the plates as well so that it was all sealed...

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,966 Posts
Our '06 OBW with under 30k miles is leaking from I think same place.
Touch any part of the exhaust on mine and the flanges will probably let go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts