Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Limited 2.5
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if there is a way to disable the homelink buttons from working only when the key is on. Right now I can open my garage door with no key in the ignition. This defeats the purpose for me as the vehicle is parked in the driveway.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am wondering if there is a way to disable the homelink buttons from working only when the key is on. Right now I can open my garage door with no key in the ignition. This defeats the purpose for me as the vehicle is parked in the driveway.
how is this situation different from just have a plain ole remote clicker in your car ?

·
Registered
2014 Limited 2.5
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is the same as leaving a clicker in the car, which I also won't do. I just wanted to know if it was possible to utilize the homelink button with only the ignition on.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Outback Limited, CVT, Nav, Eyesight and the rest of the safety stuff.
171 Posts
I remember thinking how stupid that was after setting up the link in my 2014 Limited. Wish they'd given a little more thought to security along with convenience.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i
4,486 Posts
My 2008 equipped with homelink needs the ignition or accessory power turned on in order for the mirror's transmit functions to work.

And I suppose if someone broke into my car it could be hotwired to some other 12V power source by a potential thief, but this sounds like a lot of trouble and time.

The most secure way to have done it would be for the BCM computer to provide the proper "rolling code" to the homelink mirror to transmit, and not have this stored in circuits in the mirror itself. But this would mean that the manufacturers would have to work out a unified system with the homelink device manufacturers to make it all work well together, and that isn't going to happen soon.

·
Registered
2014 Limited 2.5
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I remember thing how stupid that was after setting up the link in my 2014 Limited. Wish they'd given a little more thought to security along with convenience.
This is not just a Subaru thing I also have a Toyota Tundra and Honda Pilot which also allow the homelink to work without the key in. I called homelink and they advised it is in the harness used by the vehicle manufacturer. I agree it really seems silly I am getting ready too by a new mirror with a built in compass and thought I could ketone that required the key in the on position but no luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2016 OB 3.6R Ltd. with remote keyless entry.The Homelink is programmed to my 8355W Liftmaster garage door opener. The button on the Homelink mirror opens the garage door regardless of whether I may the ignition on or off. This concerned me because someone could break into my OB (without breaking a window) and open my garage door. I called Homelink for advice and the told me this is the way Subaru "set-up" the Homelink system in this model. I do lock the man door in my garage that goes into the house. And I can "lock" the Liftmaster from the wall mount switch to prevent a signal from any transmitter opening the door. But I have considered going back to keeping a Liftmaster handheld transmitter in the car, and taking it in the house when I park. (Pain in the butt...)

·
Registered
'13 Outback 3.6R Limited
349 Posts
I have a 2016 OB 3.6R Ltd. with remote keyless entry.The Homelink is programmed to my 8355W Liftmaster garage door opener. The button on the Homelink mirror opens the garage door regardless of whether I may the ignition on or off. This concerned me because someone could break into my OB (without breaking a window) and open my garage door. I called Homelink for advice and the told me this is the way Subaru "set-up" the Homelink system in this model. I do lock the man door in my garage that goes into the house. And I can "lock" the Liftmaster from the wall mount switch to prevent a signal from any transmitter opening the door. But I have considered going back to keeping a Liftmaster handheld transmitter in the car, and taking it in the house when I park. (Pain in the butt...)
My '13MY OB is the same as yours, but my wife's '16MY Crosstrek the key "ON" is needed for Homelink to operate. It doesn't bother me as much since we park both vehicles in the garage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts