Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2013 3.6R with SAP (BBP) it comes with the auto-dim rearview mirror with Homelink. My 2010 had a compass also but this doesn't seem to. Does anyone know if
A: All mirrors have the compass and, if so
B: How do I turn the **** thing on

THanks

BTW THe 2013 is so much better than my 2010

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've got a 2013 OB Premium that came with a Homelink compass and garage opener. I'd gladly get rid of just the compass and keep the garage opener -- all it does is annoy me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got a 2013 OB Premium that came with a Homelink compass and garage opener. I'd gladly get rid of just the compass and keep the garage opener -- all it does is annoy me.
I test drove one with the compass - it was distracting, but maybe I wasn't used to it. Ended up getting the 2.5i Limited. BTW, just popped my posting cherry :29:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
If you have a moon-roof, the mirror for the 2013's will not have the compass. No moon-roof and you will have the compass.

·
Registered
557 Posts
My '12 has the backup camera in the rear mirror and the compass is built into that camera display; the letters are green.

If I recall correctly the compass in the non backup camera mirrors had red letters and were on the opposite of the mirror.
my '12 premium non-sunroof rear view mirror w homelink has a red compass on the right side of the mirror :D

joel

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
If you have a moon-roof, the mirror for the 2013's will not have the compass. No moon-roof and you will have the compass.
Really? Do they not have the backup camera in the mirror for the non-nav '13s?

EDIT: I just checked the site and there is no backup camera option, even the nav package doesn't mention a backup camera...

Moonroof: Power tilt/sliding-glass moonroof (96% UV light reducing). Navigation System Package: Voice-activated 7-inch high-resolution touch-screen GPS navigation system and 440-watt 9-speaker single-CD Harman Kardon premium audio system with amplifier, subwoofer, HD Radio™, USB port/iPod® control, XM® Satellite Radio and XM NavTraffic®1, Bluetooth® audio streaming and hands-free phone connectivity, and 3.5-mm auxiliary jack.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2013 Limited with no navigation has a backup camera. It was part of the moon roof package. The backup image is displayed on a small screen on the dash, the 2012 I test drove had the image in the rear view mirror.

It has no compass. I just leave a trail of breadcrumbs to find my way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why no compass?

Does anyone know why they took the compass out of the rearview mirror for the OB with moonroof?
The car I test drove (no moonroof) had the compass and I told the sales rep how much I liked having it and then I spent quite a while trying to figure out how to turn it on in my 2013 OB WITH moonroof.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Does yours have the OEM Nav? I think on the factory Nav units you use the direction indicator on the screen. If you don't I think you might be able to turn it on and off using the controls on the mirror.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 2013 Limited Moonroof, no Nav does NOT have the compass in the mirror. Wish it had.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Those of you that are distracted by the compass, have you checked if it can be turned off? My Nissan Murano had a Homelink auto-dim mirror with compass, and it could be switched off.

Wish I did have a compass. I'm living on the California coast with mountains on one side, and it's usually easy to tell what direction you are going. I was in North Carolina though, where the mountains all look similar and surround you, and found myself getting disoriented or heading the wrong direction numerous times. Went 25 round-trip miles out of my way once - wasn't in a place I could check my location at until I was far down the road.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You can definitely turn the compass off in the 2012 premium. I have the backup camera w/ screen in the mirror & GREEN compass.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I have the backup camera w/ screen in the mirror & GREEN compass.
Yep, on that setup, the compass heading is displayed using
some GREEN pixels in the upper left corner of the backup
camera's display area.

On cars without a backup display in the mirror, the compass
display (if any) is on the right side of the mirror -- in RED.

...twisty little passages, all different,

Looby

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
18 Participants
medic
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing