Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 OB has the HomeLink rear view mirror. It only work( opening the garage ) when the key is in the ignition and in the on position. Is this correct? My brother-in-law thinks it should work no matter if the key is in or not.

If it is supposed to work all the time, who do I see about fixing it? The dealer I bought the car from( just over 2 weeks ago ) is a good 1 1/2 away. Would a closer dealer fix it?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
My Mazda HL works that way (Ign-Acc/On), so you can’t break in with the car in the driveway. But if defective, it’s covered under B2B 3/36K (with any dealer).

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,342 Posts
My 2013 OB has the HomeLink rear view mirror. It only work( opening the garage ) when the key is in the ignition and in the on position. Is this correct? My brother-in-law thinks it should work no matter if the key is in or not.

If it is supposed to work all the time, who do I see about fixing it? The dealer I bought the car from( just over 2 weeks ago ) is a good 1 1/2 away. Would a closer dealer fix it?

Thanks,
Eric
They all work by key in the on position only. It is considered a Home-link "feature."

It might be possible to to send power to it all the time but it would require some work. It would also likely drain the battery.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
TADT. (They All Do That). I am referring to BILs, but it is true of Homelink as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. I am fine with it working only with the key, just if it was broken I wanted to get it fixed.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts

Thanks,
Eric
My '13 SAP works without the ignition being on the same as my previous 2011. Either way people complain. If you park your car outside your house someone could get into your house by breaking into your car. Which way is better???

·
Registered
2012,OB 3.6R Limited/Moonroof Pkg.
129 Posts
Mine works either on or off, I'm not complaining, but my old Mercedes ML the key should be on. Both Homelink. again I'm not complaining...:D

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R
525 Posts
As others have mentioned, it is basically a security feature to require the ignition to be ON for Homelink to work. Otherwise it would be easy for someone to break the car window to get access to your garage. (For cars left outside of the garage, that is.)

Some brands of cars do something a bit fancier, and leave the Homelink powered up for 30 seconds or so after the car is turned off, and the key removed, so you can turn off the car and then open the garage door. But that's not how our Subaru's do it.....

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Depends on the car. My Ford worked all the time, regardless of the key position. The OB requires the key to be in. Volvo is the same.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts
Depends on the car. My Ford worked all the time, regardless of the key position. The OB requires the key to be in. Volvo is the same.
It might be trim dependent but neither of my two Limited's required a key or fob for Homelink operation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what I take from all this is it is my preference if it works all the time or only with the key. I see both side and I do park the car in the drive way, not in the garage. Will talk with the wife and see which way we would prefer it. Since we didn't have it on our previous vehicle it isn't a make or break issue either way for us. Thanks so much for all the feedback.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited Ice Silver Metalic
321 Posts
My Highlander is on all the time my OB is only on with the key.

If you park your car in the driveway, I prefer Homelink to only work when the key is on. Otherwise you are leaving a garage door opener in front of your garage door that is easy to break into and open the garage door :gasp:

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
My garage door open works all the time. Homelink working in the car without the key is no different. I don't see the big deal.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
My garage door open works all the time. Homelink
working in the car without the key is no different.
Kinda hard for my wife to keep the mirror in her purse.

Looby

1 - 20 of 36 Posts