Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
It looks ready for the Apocalypse. Is there a specific reason you made the sides so tall? Do you plan to add a fairing? I imagine it is a little noisy on the freeway.

If I may suggest ... fab some side mounts for a shovel on one side and a Hi Lift jack on the other, since you appear to have some beefy jack points.

Please post some pics when the rack is full of gear.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Too "bulky" in my opinion...how is the wind noise?

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback 5speed
57 Posts
Im in the prossess of designing my own basket but im looking at making it alittle stealthier. Maybe a basket/flat rack hybrid. Also 5* on that bumper guard where did you bolt the guard to??

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Legacy Outback dual range 5MT
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wind noise isn't really there yet, but that will most likely change when there is stuff in it. I made it big enough so I can put a full size spare, camping gear, gas cans. I'm gonna make a wind fairing sometime soon, and ill add the shovels later. When I can get some more free time away from schools I'm gonna make a simple tube bumper for the front and rear. The brush guard was more of something thrown together that didn't look like complete poo. But it's mounted on the lower radiator support with some grade 8 bolts. Anyone know a good way to wire lights from the roof, with out drilling or cutting?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok some right now my tires are louder at 75mph then the basket is, and it held me and my friend on some lawn chairs sitting in it. Nice and bulky!

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Probably the best basket concept I've seen is a flat platform that is solid enough to provide ample tie down options. So when your not hauling stuff the platform more or less has a pretty low profile and can stay on the car. With all of these baskets the largest flaw are the box sides. The raised sides impacts a number of things #1 Mileage, #2 limits lengthy items which must lay across the top of the raised sides vs being lashed flat on the base of the basket. As for the worry about stuff falling off the rack? As long as the base is strong and has rungs that allow for lots of various tie down options you can tie nearly any type of item down to the basket base in an effective manner.

Tip based on my experience with the mesh steel type stuff. My Utility trailer has this heavy mesh steel type stuff between the structural elements. The mesh is large enough that I can pass 3/4 inch tie down rope or feed ratchet straps through it. This ability gives me limitless ways I can lash stuff down and I freaking love it! Nothing worse than not having an easy logical way to lash something down because you don't have an easy way to tie or hook straps nice and tight to the object your lashing down.

If you see the need to have a bike - or even a canoe or kayak mounted to the basket - even with the flat profile basket you can rig up a simple raised section to support the bike or boat etc leaving you space for stowing gear under them. Even just a few minutes with a section of 2x4 you could make a very solid rough raised stand at the front and back of a flat basket to raise up the boat or bike at little cost or effort. Thus this approach makes the basket far more flexible for the types of things you might find your self needing to haul. The raised sides on the other hand actually impact how flexible the platform is for hauling items that are not a direct fit into the basket it self.

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Im in the prossess of designing my own basket but im looking at making it alittle stealthier. Maybe a basket/flat rack hybrid.
Do some research about guys who have made expedition racks from aluminum ATV ramps like the cheap ones from Harbor Freight. They are maintenance free, super light and look very spiffy, and you don't need to worry so much about overhead clearance when they are unloaded..

https://www.google.com/search?q=roo...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
22,806 Posts

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
I like the beefy basket! For everything he listed he plans to carry it sounds perfect. For those of us with oversized tires and a full size spare to match it doesn't leave much interior cargo room storing it strapped in the back. A full time roof option is exactly what I need!!!

·
Registered
1999 Outback Wagon Green 2.2 swap
50 Posts
I never really thought about the loading ramp idea. I too am in the hunt for rack ideas but want to keep it cheap and like to make (mess things up) myself. I think the rack you made looks great. It should hold a lot of stuff very securely, good job.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of the positive comments! Thought I would share the reason I can't just put a full size spare in the trunk
[/URL]
Yeah I like my music loud!

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
646 Posts
Nice rack :12: wish I could wield, would make all sorts of stuff for the outback as well,how heavy is the basket looks like you could hold a tree in that thing!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks! The basket looks like it weighs more than it really does, which is about 50ish pounds. Before it was in the car we put it up on 4 jack stands and it held 350 pounds no problem. It can probably hold more but I don't think I'm gonna have more than 50 pounds in it at a time.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback 5speed
57 Posts
Do some research about guys who have made expedition racks from aluminum ATV ramps like the cheap ones from Harbor Freight. They are maintenance free, super light and look very spiffy, and you don't need to worry so much about overhead clearance when they are unloaded..

https://www.google.com/search?q=roo...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
Dang i wish i came back on here to see this before i got ahold of my mig. I ended up making one 5'x3' 2".. out of 1' square tubing. It weighs roughly 30 lbs. I need to shorten it up a bit.. my dementions were way off. I think i wantd 4 or 4.5 x 3 also how did u mount your box?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just got 4 beefy u bolts that are under the cross rails and over the baskets rails

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
Thanks for all of the positive comments! Thought I would share the reason I can't just put a full size spare in the trunk
[/URL]
Yeah I like my music loud!
"roll on 18 wheeler...roll on" :D

sorry, seeing you're from alabama, couldn't help myself

1 - 20 of 25 Posts