Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda butching up Crosstour for 2013 because 'people weren't exactly sure what it was'

Looks like Honda is moving away from urban sleek design to rugged. The outback may have some more competition soon.

I still like the way the outback looks. Especially the back. The new crosstour still has the steep drop off in the back which, to me looks like a sports car design. I still think consumers are going to be confused at what the crosstour is.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Honda butching up Crosstour for 2013 because 'people weren't exactly sure what it was'

Looks like Honda is moving away from urban sleek design to rugged. The outback may have some more competition soon.

I still like the way the outback looks. Especially the back. The new crosstour still has the steep drop off in the back which, to me looks like a sports car design. I still think consumers are going to be confused at what the crosstour is.
Its still fugly and the usable space in the cargo area is limited due to the hatch/cargo cover. :28:

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Honda needs to make (and I think they will) a true wagon to compete with the OB. Give the new Acura TSX AWD and some GC then they got it

·
Registered
921 Posts
Honda needs to make (and I think they will) a true wagon to compete with the OB. Give the new Acura TSX AWD and some GC then they got it
Unfortunately, I think the TSX wagon has been discontinued. You can still get a new 2012, but I don't think it's coming back. You can get a 2013 TSX sedan though...

The 2013 Accord is getting some nice reviews. I would love to see a true Outback competitor based on that car. I considered the Crosstour, but the cargo area is really limiting - moreso due to the huge rear shock towers than the lack of height. In my experience, floorspace is more important than height. I tend to only load cargo up to the windows so I can still see out the back window, but having the option to load up the cargo area with boxes, or a chair, etc. is a close second to actual floor space IMHO.

I like the recipe of the Outback - a midsize sedan-based wagon with a rugged suspension that still handles quite well. we need more in the American market that aren't from "premium" brands like Audi and Volvo.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The problem is still not addressed. In what appears to be an effort to have it not be a wagon, the rear hatch slopes way too much. Yes it is bigger than a regular trunk, but the cargo area really isn't big enough to do anything with it.

I agree, an AWD TSX may have got my money. Even better, a TSX to compete with the Audi All Road (at least in marketing...they always aim up). We went to Honda, only to look at a Pilot. The salesman pointed out the CrossTour in the showroom, we looked at the cargo area and said "nope!" and he got the keys to a Pilot.

We went with the OB because we really didn't need something as large as the Pilot, and the ~$6k more it would have cost for a Pilot Touring wasn't worth it for our needs. Plus I was a little hesitant about owning a V6 Honda with the 5AT after reading about some other Pilot and Odyssey owner's experiences. The Piloteers board had a lot more negative vibe to it than here.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
In person this thing is HUGE. Ugly, well if it went on a diet lost 500 lbs may be prettier, but really it is just an oddball.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
The sad thing is that this is the most interesting thing in the Honda lineup. i keep waiting for the ridgeline to be cut from production.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
If you think the Crosstour is fugly go look at the Nissan Murano Cross Cabriolet. Apparently consumers agree since it is a sales disaster.
Nissan's sales disaster: The 'ugly' Murano droptop
I heard an executives wife came up with the idea. So first off the man didn't have enough balls to tell his wife no and then the pansys below the executive didn't have the balls to say that this was a bad idea.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
...Yup...that is one fugly car...it's just an accord that has been fuglicized!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I sat in the crosstour once in the showroom but it was not my style. Someone had told me the toyota vensa was geared for old people (check out all their commercials) so since the crosstour is in the same class of quasi wagon/suv/sports car I have the same stigma about it as well.

I would have loved to get the A4 avant but it was too pricy and with street parking, the bumper dings on a lux car would drive me crazy.

BTW - Does a thread about the Honda Crosstour really belong in the Gen4 forum?
You're right - I was in the Gen4 forum when I started this thread. How do I move it?

·
Premium Member
702 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'll bet the Honda designers were hitting the Schlitz hard when they designed the Crosstour. To get it approved for proroduction they staged a Groupspeak scenario in the boardroom by bribing the executives with dark chocolate and rum balls. When they briefed the workers in Ohio on what they were building i'm sure dinner table conversations went something like:
-Child: Dad, so what are you building?
-Dad (Honda worker): Well its an accord with AWD thats jacked up and they make us hit it for 4 hours with an ugly stick before shipping them out
-Child: So its something like a....um not sure what it is?
-Dad: Yeah, something like that
-Mom: Honey, just admit it you work for a company that makes cars out of spare parts from previous years. For the Crosstour the Honda execs decided to give them a new body and said make somethng with the parts bin from the Accord and Pilot, so they all got together and drank Schlitz and come up with this monstrosity of a heavy underpowered poor handling sedan

·
Registered
57 Posts
I like it over the current model which is like an egg. I still like it from the front, but thats about it. I saw a ZDX on the road the other day, I figured it was the same chassis and then I priced that - holy cow!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
15 Participants
hiker74
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing