Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Peaty reads this, I was just checking out the pics of your H6 on scoobymods (I have a 2.5, same color). Yesterday I installed a bug deflector on mine (after being disgusted with the fit/quality of the Magnetbra, I just went down to the dealer and picked up a subie one). It was a clean install all the way around and it matches the rear dust guard nicely.
My question, for peaty or anyone else witht his deflector, is it safe to go through the car wash? I have been taking the car though with the rear dust deflector on about 10 times, and never had a problem. The front seems to be made of the same material, will it also be safe? Any input people can give me from experience would be great!

Thanks, and GO HUSKIES!!!!!

By the way--I want to extend a thanks to Peaty for his tireless efforts at supplying the Outback community with plenty of useful info! Its seems like everytime I look something up on a forum, he has posted a worthwhile repsonse.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have an '03 H6, and I also installed the factory bug deflector.

I've been thru a high pressure spray car wash many times, with no problems. I worry more about the wiper blades lifting off the windshield during the drying than I do about the bug shield in either the wash or the dry.

Can't speak for the kind with the spinning brushes or the dangling and dancing cleaning straps.

Go for it. The material is typically polycarbonate, and they are pretty tough. (I just wish I could tell if it was doing anything beyond reducing the paint chips on the leading edge of the hood.)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mmm.....dangly threads

I have a really good car wash close to where I live that has all sorts of spinning brushes and dangly strips (not to mention a total hottie taking your money when you pull up) and it gets the car wicked clean. I know you can't take a roof rack through there, but my rear deflector has made it through.

·
Submod , ,
3,022 Posts
Just an added thought:

Most washes don't guarantee that after-market external parts won't be damaged however components which are OEM parts including your subie deflectors should be covered at most if not all washes.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
1,211 Posts
I have to say, I never ever go through a car wash. I don't like them because they can stratch the paint. I use my own hose or I do the spray wand thing. I do know my friend lost their bug guard off of their Honda Oddesy after going through a car wash.

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
mines cracking!

I have one on my '03 outback and after a year and half I've noticed a stress crack near just above the headlamp(inside ) probably due to the flex when the high pressure air blowing through it during the drying. So now I just take mine off. I think the edges (ears) of the deflector are the most vulnerable part.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
Scooby
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing