Subaru Outback Forums banner

101 - 120 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
878 Posts
I came across a video on how a Subaru door is fabricated on the web and it shows a GEN 4 being built at the U.S plant. It shows what they call a final detail inspection at the final drive off after being built which they check all panel gap/fit. Looks like there rushing things a little now……………………… Google- Subaru car door- How it's made

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
346 Posts
I came across a video on how a Subaru door is fabricated on the web and it shows a GEN 4 being built at the U.S plant. It shows what they call a final detail inspection at the final drive off after being built which they check all panel gap/fit. Looks like there rushing things a little now……………………… Google- Subaru car door- How it's made
I'm on a RV forum too and there are lots of complaints about the factory pumping out units so fast and letting the selling dealers fix problems. Too bad the 'good enough' attitude prevails all too often.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Took my 2018 Outback Touring in today to fix the hood gap.

ALIGN PASSENGER SIDE OF FRONT HOOD. THE DRIVER SIDE IS GOOD BUT THERE IS A LARGE GAP ON THE PASSENGER SIDE. SUBARU SERVICE BULLETIN 12-229-17 UNEVEN HOOD TO HEADLIGHT GAP - ALIGN PASSENGER SIDE OF FRONT HOOD. THE DRIVER SIDE IS GOOD BUT THERE IS A LARGE GAP ON THE PASSENGER SIDE. SUBARU SERVICE BULLETIN 12-229-17 UNEVEN HOOD TO HEADLIGHT GAP

They could not fix the hood gap using the Service Bulletin instructions. My service guy is contacting some regional service manager to see what to do next, maybe replace the hood. I wonder if the paint would match. He is supposed to contact me with an answer. Sad.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Took my 2018 Outback Touring in today to fix the hood gap.

ALIGN PASSENGER SIDE OF FRONT HOOD. THE DRIVER SIDE IS GOOD BUT THERE IS A LARGE GAP ON THE PASSENGER SIDE. SUBARU SERVICE BULLETIN 12-229-17 UNEVEN HOOD TO HEADLIGHT GAP - ALIGN PASSENGER SIDE OF FRONT HOOD. THE DRIVER SIDE IS GOOD BUT THERE IS A LARGE GAP ON THE PASSENGER SIDE. SUBARU SERVICE BULLETIN 12-229-17 UNEVEN HOOD TO HEADLIGHT GAP

They could not fix the hood gap using the Service Bulletin instructions. My service guy is contacting some regional service manager to see what to do next, maybe replace the hood. I wonder if the paint would match. He is supposed to contact me with an answer. Sad.
They must need a stronger tech if they weren't able to use the step of the TSB that pretty much says, bend the hood......:grin2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I don?t think bending will help mine. The hood needs to move laterally toward the passenger side for all the gaps to make sense. I can?t find hinge adjustments that allow that lateral movement so I?m kinda stuck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Took my 2018 Outback Touring in for the second time. My service guy had received more/new instructions from the front office. It is much better now, maybe a small 1 mm? gap on the passenger side but not noticeable. I asked what they did, buy my service guy did not know. The body shop took care of it.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,989 Posts
That's what I was about to add - I recall reading early (2014-2015) Gen 5 reports of panel gaps where a body shop was needed to correct the problem. While this may not always be the case, I don't think any Subaru dealerships in NJ actually do their own body work (I made several inquiries after a collision).

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
I'm wondering whether the panel fit problem is caused by the die stamping tool(s) NOT the products being stamped by that tool.........anyone have any ideas as to how many hours or cycles of hood panel production is specified at the factory? How many panel stampers even exist? Usually, mass production tools are swapped out for rework after a certain number of parts have been produced.......

Our June 2015 OB LTD had perfect sheet metal gaps..........absolutely perfect. With OB's selling as well as they have been thru 4 model years, I wonder what the factory protocols are, as far as taking sheet metal stampers out of production for rework, if needed.....and does the factory even have stampers in reserve for just this purpose?

Just my two cents from decades of mass plastic production experience.

Steve

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited w/Eyesight
9 Posts
We are new Outback owners as of tonight! Unfortunately when we arrived to pick up our new ride (it was ordered about 4 weeks ago), the hood gap issue was front and center. I had told our salesman about it during a prior visit and he promised me he’d look for it the minute the car came off the truck. Well of course he forgot, but it was pretty obvious. I refused to sign paperwork until they corrected the problem so into the maintenance bay it went and lo and behold it was about as right as one could expect when it came out 20 minutes later. Only then did we go through with the deal.

Several OBs on the lot were affected, but oddly some had hood gaps on the left and others had gaps on the right. Then again some were perfect. The previously mentioned steel stamping could come into play, but I wouldn’t necessarily expect that the effect would be so variable in that process (i.e. some left, some right, some perfect. I could definitely see where the holes set for the hinge mounts might have a highly variable impact especially if the robot who drilled it was set up correctly. I’m sure someone will figure it out, but we’ll never be told. I’m just grateful that the maintenance guys could get it adjusted to the point that it looks 95% right.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm sorry but those adjustments should be done during the PRE DELIVERY INSPECTION!!!!!! What do you think its for??? Why deliver it that way, all it does is leave a bad taste in the new owners mouth. I'll tell you what is happening....they are brought into the shop for new car prep probably to the detail guys who remove most of the shipping protection, wash and throw it on the lot. No tech touches it other than to punch in and out on the PDI RO. Easy money for no work and shorychange the customer and Subaru or whatever car mfgr. There is a pre delivery inspection form and one of the items specifically called out is door/ hood /trunk adjustment and panel fit. There is usually a checkbox for all items to show completed. You know it didnt get done if tire pressures are too high. I'd ask to see the PDI form and if it shows all checks give them **** and call SOA.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I'm sorry but those adjustments should be done during the PRE DELIVERY INSPECTION!!!!!! What do you think its for??? Why deliver it that way, all it does is leave a bad taste in the new owners mouth. I'll tell you what is happening....they are brought into the shop for new car prep probably to the detail guys who remove most of the shipping protection, wash and throw it on the lot. No tech touches it other than to punch in and out on the PDI RO. Easy money for no work and shorychange the customer and Subaru or whatever car mfgr. There is a pre delivery inspection form and one of the items specifically called out is door/ hood /trunk adjustment and panel fit. There is usually a checkbox for all items to show completed. You know it didnt get done if tire pressures are too high. I'd ask to see the PDI form and if it shows all checks give them **** and call SOA.
I would agree, the PDI should catch a lot of stuff that doesn’t. The problem is that these days a LOT of folks just aren’t geared to look for the sort of stuff like poor body panel alignment. On top of that the dealerships don’t want them to, especially the high volume ones. Our Subaru dealership tells me they sell about 150 cars per month. Let’s say 30% of those are Outbacks so that’s 45 cars. Of those let’s say 60% of them have a hood gap issue or something else that requires an hour of tech time. Now we’re talking 27 hours of technician time per month fixing these one or two problem that should have been caught before the car left the factory floor. Okay, SOA will pay something towards that cost, but maybe not all of it. But even if they pay 100% of it, the dealership has to allocate manpower away for other stuff like servicing customer cars. And on top of that a lot of Subaru/Honda/Toyota customers are visually attuned enough to notice the hood gap difference in the first place. Contrast this to a Porsche, Audi, BMW, Lexus dealership and the math is different because the customers are different.

I’ll add that when we arrived to pick up the car (via an appointment set a week prior), the car was not fully prepped for delivery. It had supposedly been PDI’d from a mechanical standpoint, but I’m sure that was minor - check the oil and fluids only. Note there was no PDI checklist provided, which leads me to believe that it got the most cursory of inspections. The shipping protection had not been removed and it had not been detailed out. Yes, the salesman actually drove it out for us to look at with ALL the plastic still on the car!! You couldn’t see squat with regards to panel fit or paint finish. Needless to say I wasn’t real happy about that. My wife and I drove 2 hours down to get the car and I was prepared to walk over that issue alone, but she wasn’t. I really don’t think the dealership was too concerned because there were two guys looking at our car from a distance and I’m convinced one of them would have bought it on the spot if we had not taken it. I think the way you strike back at dealers is to ding them on their post sale survey. Subaru and other makes put a lot of pressure on dealers with those, so hit them where it hurts them the most. I’ll mark my survey accordingly with lots of comments.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I'm sorry but those adjustments should be done during the PRE DELIVERY INSPECTION!!!!!! What do you think its for??? Why deliver it that way, all it does is leave a bad taste in the new owners mouth.
Because the vast majority of new owners are not going to turn a panel gap discrepancy into a first world problem.

They are like my wife and sister-in-law and will never notice or care. They are only interested in reliable transportation that gets them from point A to point B and like AWD for bad weather driving.

I doubt there is a dealer in the country, selling average priced vehicles, that has it in their budget to realign panels prior to delivery. Most probably don't even directly employ folks with that skill.

Reactions: ammcinnis

·
Registered
85 Posts
The Dealership gets paid for every completed PDI! Its in there best interest to do it or make sure its done properly. Why they don't is a mystery. Pure lazyness.

Not a first world problem either. A reasonable expectation on any new product is good fit and finish. Besides its the final quality assurance inspection. Besides if the obvious is not corrected what else was missed.

Things happen during production that need caught, low or no fluids, wheel lugs not tight etc. We had a whole shipment of Hondas come in with brake pedals going to floor because of air in system. So it happens to all mfgrs. Hence PDI.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Because the vast majority of new owners are not going to turn a panel gap discrepancy into a first world problem.

They are like my wife and sister-in-law and will never notice or care. They are only interested in reliable transportation that gets them from point A to point B and like AWD for bad weather driving.

I doubt there is a dealer in the country, selling average priced vehicles, that has it in their budget to realign panels prior to delivery. Most probably don't even directly employ folks with that skill.
I had originally relied to this earlier today, but that post got hung up in a moderator review (whatever that is.) :|

I would agree that the dealerships don’t have it in their budget to do this. In the case of our dealer, they told me they have a quota of 150 cars per month. Let’s say 45 of those are new Outbacks. Now a number of the OBs on their lot have hood alignment issues - I’d say half or more. So we’re talking 27 cars per month could potentially be affected. If it takes half an hour to fix each hood, then we’re talking over 12 hours of technician time that can be spent doing something else. SOA will reimburse then for .4 hours per car, but I’m betting that payment won’t match the productivity of that technician working on a paying customer’s car. So no, they aren’t going to fix all of these, especially when the majority of buyers would never notice them. Nevertheless, SOA needs to address this at the factory and they need to do it ASAP lest their reputation begin to suffer.

I’m relatively certain that our car was not PDI correctly because it clearly wasn’t ready for us to pick up. We had made the appoint last week, but when our salesman drove it up it for us to inspect it was still covered in plastic. He said it had been PDI’d but I found that hard to believe with the plastic still on the car. I was not happy and was prepared to walk at that point, but my wife was not. So we stayed and let them finish prepping the car. It only then that I saw the panel gaps.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
"Anyone"?
Did you take the time to read all the posts?
If you did, do posts 92, 94 and 96 answer your question?
LOL, that would be too easy, sort of like reading the manual.......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
There doesn’t seem to be a very consistent fix. Some people are saying the improvement was very minimal. I’m not sure I want to risk a dealer messing around if the fix is only minimal. Hoping to hear more positive results from the group as time goes by

·
Registered
2019 3.6 Touring & 2018 H6 Limited. Previously also owned a number of Outbacks.
184 Posts
New Issue emerged, not sure if it's related. Has anyone's cowl panel bulged at places? I wonder if it's related. Had 5 Outbacks in the past/present & the cowl panels were all flush/tight against the bottom of the windshield but for this one it had a bulge & got big after icing. Just had it replaced & the bulge is gone but the center is opened up... not fitting tight overall. Seems to be a tight fit cause the cowl to be bowed away from the windshield slightly. I am taking it back since they forgot to replace the top seal when changing the cowl piece. :surprise:

Never had anything wrong with the other Subies & although these are not major issues but too many can be annoying...

·
Registered
3 Posts
"Anyone"?
"Anyone"?
LOL, that would be too easy, sort of like reading the manual.......
Doesn’t sound like “success” at the dealership to me, which is why I asked. The pics posted in those posts look like an ‘okay at best’ job.

Back to my question, anyone have success with getting their hood gap issue fixed properly? I’ll add “properly” in.

101 - 120 of 141 Posts