Subaru Outback Forums banner

121 - 140 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Touring
1,408 Posts
Doesn’t sound like “success” at the dealership to me, which is why I asked. The pics posted in those posts look like an ‘okay at best’ job.

Back to my question, anyone have success with getting their hood gap issue fixed properly? I’ll add “properly” in.
You will have to define "properly" and "success" to get an answer that will satisfy as an answer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Doesn’t sound like “success” at the dealership to me, which is why I asked. The pics posted in those posts look like an ‘okay at best’ job.

Back to my question, anyone have success with getting their hood gap issue fixed properly? I’ll add “properly” in.
You will have to define "properly" and "success" to get an answer that will satisfy as an answer.
I’m looking for someone who’s had their car come back from the dealership with no visible mis-alignment with their hood. Based on the posts in this thread, I haven’t seen that be the case, unless I missed something. Seems there’s still some visible issues.

·
Registered
2019 3.6 Touring & 2018 H6 Limited. Previously also owned a number of Outbacks.
184 Posts
Per all responses, it seems that there was only 1 satisfactory fix (w/ Pic) that shows equal fender gap (not just headlight to hood) between left & right, that's because it went to the body shop! That's the real culprit having the hood misaligned, or the entire front-end who knows, not the hood to headlight. Dealer is keenly aware of this & the basic fix is to bend the hood to bring the left side (lip) down to close the gap & minimize the left & right fender gap - it'll never be perfect unless a body shop worked on it. But hey, if you have warranty/extended no worries just drive the car.

Note per my fix, if they move the hood to the left, they would have to (per Service Bulletin) use a rubber hammer to 'carefully' strike the hood latch to make it slanted towards to the right. On mine, it's already slanted towards the right & when latched, it touches the left most of the latch so if they are to move my hood to the left, my latch would be moved even more towards the right, slanted so much it'll be laying at 45 degrees (vs. 90 degrees perpendicular to the hood).

There could be more problems down the road... I just replaced my cowl piece the 2nd time & there are opening in the center of the cowl they cannot close because...? hood misaligned? Hey I have don't have time to play with this if I get another ice build up I just send it back to the dealer for a new cowl or whatever warranty work. I don't think i'll keep this guy more than 7rs...

BTW: look at the hood gap for imprezas & forester from Japan I noticed MUCH better build quality... the cowl piece on those imprezas & foresters? They are tightly adhered to the windshields with an additional piece of rubber seal - clean & precise.

·
Registered
2013 O.B. and 2018 O.B.
99 Posts
Dealer aligned mine somewhat. Not perfect but then again, looks better than before. Body shop can probably do much better but bothers me to have someone actually use a mallet to bend something. Seems to me the culprit is probably the brackets that hood attaches to are not precisely built to match one another.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Limited with Nav, Premium Audio and Eyesight
81 Posts
Just noticed that we have the same issue on our 2018 on the passenger side as well.

But to a much larger degree, the rear lift gate is off even more on the drivers side. So bad that it will "catch" on the passenger side when we open it up and close it. You can even see the difference between the gaps just above both tail lights as well as the tail light on the drives side lift does not line up with the tail light on the fender. You can also see a difference in the gap between the lift and the D pillar on both sides.

Almost makes me think my Outback is twisted.... "Twisted Outback"....

David

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
20 Posts
I joined this forum in December a day after after ordering my OB, which is expected to arrive in two weeks. One thing I am disappointed to learn is that some vehicles are assembled with misaligned body panels...some of which are grossly misaligned and they leave the plant like this!

I stopped by my dealer yesterday just to see if they had received any Outbacks with these problems and sitting on their showroom floor was a Touring model with a slightly crooked passenger side hood. My sales person mentioned they have had a few come in that were much worse-off. The misaligned body panels only happen on the American-made Outbacks and not the Forester which is produced in Japan.

·
Registered
2018 Legacy Limited Sedan w/EyeSight 2.5L CVT 4WD Built in USA
2 Posts
Just found this site while looking for info on this issue. I also have the hood gap issue on my 2018 Legacy Limited Sedan w/EyeSight 2.5L CVT 4WD. I noticed it on nearly all of the 2018 Legacy trim levels, some like mine (about 5-7mm) one the passenger side, some just about right but still not compressing the rubber seal. I told the Dealer about the issue in general and specifically that it had to be resolved on the car I was purchasing. When I went to pick it up they brought in the service manager and he tried adjusting the rubber stops on each side to no avail. On the 2nd pickup attempt they have managed to split the difference between the right and left side but now the center by hood latch is compressing the rubber seal very tightly and each side is still about 1.5mm from even touching the rubber seal. Note that the side seams of the hood are nearly perfect. I decided to take delivery and research the issue rather than let them take another shot at it. I fear they would do more damage than good. The door seam gaps are very uniform and the trunk is about 1mm + off side to side. I plan to leave it as is till they find a real fix. Very annoying since the 1997 Honda Civic EX manual sedan made in Japan I am replacing had excellent panel gaps from day one and gets better MPG. I'm sure my nephew will be able to drive it at least 70k or more as long as he keeps up maintenance and doesn't crash it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, just joined in and i did have the gap issue on my 2018 OB. I saw the TSB on this but to correct mine I just adjusted the bumpers. What I did was shorten the passenger side bumper and lengthen the driver side thereby twisting the hood. You could fix a gap issue by up to 4mm this way. Adjusting both bumpers also assure you that the hood is snug when closed. If the hood pops up noticeably when you open, the bumpers may be too way up.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
20 Posts
My new touring model arrived this morning and I am really glad to find no ill-fitting body panels. The hood and tailgate align perfectly as they should so no adjustment was needed by the dealer.

·
Registered
2018 Legacy Limited Sedan w/EyeSight 2.5L CVT 4WD Built in USA
2 Posts
Update on my gap issue. It was just eating away at me so even though I said I'd wait till summer to deal with it I didn't. Took the 2018 Legacy back to the dealer and the service manager assured me that he had a handle on what the TSB said the fix was. Well, not so much. When I get it back it's still off but "within spec" that is up to a 7mm gap according to him. I asked what body shop they subcontract with, went there and received a quote of $270 to repair the radiator support upper tie bar (their diagnosis). I took the quote back to the dealer so they could inform "corporate" that the TSB procedure doesn't fix the issue. To the service managers credit he made a copy of the quote and said he would see if "corporate" would pay for it. That was eleven days ago. On the upside I should be receiving my JDM grill from Subi Bros some time this week. Once I have that in hand I'll talk to the dealer again about them paying for the fix since the fix requires the removal of the front bumper as does the grill install that I am more than happy to pay the extra to have the body shop install the grill.

side note: has anyone tried to replace the Door step lights with LED bulbs?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I looked, and almost bought, a 2018 OB 3.6 Touring 2 weeks ago. A lift gate misalignment and hood misalignment/gap issue caught my attention, so I checked other OB’s on the lot. About half of them had the same issue, and because of that, I called off the deal. The dealer calls me the next day saying that they called SOA, and SOA said the car is “within spec.” Really? Sounds like a FoMoCo response.

Reactions: r3ds4nd

·
Registered
2016 WRX, 2017 BRZ, 2017 Legacy
366 Posts
Bought a 2017 Legacy today with 10k miles on it ... got it home and noticed the hood gap. The hood doesn't even touch the gasket!

Taking it in on Monday, they said it was a 1-hour fix.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Premium
1 Posts
I just bought a 2018 Outback as I was getting ready to drive it off the lot I did notice the hood gap on the passenger side of the car. I called the dealer's attention to it. I decided not to drive it off the lot. I left the car there for the body shop to check it out and adjust it. Let's see what happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is a factory issue and is caused by the shock on the hinge. If you remove the shock you will see that the hood fits perfectly. The hood is aluminum so I would not try correcting on your own as you may cause more issues.

·
Registered
2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
667 Posts
My dealer was gentle and used his fine time piece tools for clock adjustments on my hood. Now my hood is perfect. :) But seriously if your hood isn't seated correctly get it adjusted properly by the dealer. Before you crash into something & the hood doesn't collapse into place like it's supposed to God forbid.

Attachments

121 - 140 of 141 Posts